Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 4
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 4

Did it take anyone else 30 minutes to get past the first level door? XD

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Hahaha, I don't think so. I did cower in fear a few times before opening doors.

I, for some reason I'm not cognizant of, have a fear of seeing a multitude of doors.

Like, when I go to hotels and see those long hallways dotted with door after door after door something inside me just feels uncomfortable.

Which brings me to WHY DOES HIS MANSION HAVE THAT MANY DOORS?!
09-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-11-2013, 03:38 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: Hahaha, I don't think so. I did cower in fear a few times before opening doors.

I, for some reason I'm not cognizant of, have a fear of seeing a multitude of doors.

Like, when I go to hotels and see those long hallways dotted with door after door after door something inside me just feels uncomfortable.

Which brings me to WHY DOES HIS MANSION HAVE THAT MANY DOORS?!

Yeah, and most of them are locked, except for THAT DOOR. THAT FUCKING DOOR THAT IS AT THE END OF THE HALL WAY AND IS HALF-WAY OPENED! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME DOO... oh wait, there's nothing behind it. Whew.

Not sure when I'm going to play again. Maybe some more tonight. It's the kind of terror that keeps your curiosity stirring.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Find
terzi Offline

Threads: 0

(09-11-2013, 03:33 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: Did it take anyone else 30 minutes to get past the first level door? XD

Most likely me Big Grin I'm a bit slow to play these! I'm now in "Against the Rising Waters", I'll continue playing after school tonight!
09-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(09-11-2013, 03:19 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I really enjoyed A:TDD but it did feel like a pseudo shallow scare fest. That's what horror games are for though, correct? Yes, but a game that's, for example, in the horror genre and tries to do more than just a scarefest is more meaningful and special. Run of the mill genre games are fine and all but I personally prefer games that do more with their genre, not just offer what's expected of the genre.

Although TDD didn't seem to take its own story very seriously, I would entirely disagree that the story itself was shallow. I can elaborate with a little analysis of its meaning if you want more detail.

On the subject of TCR and stories... I don't feel like I can hold back much longer, so I'll just spill everything off my chest right now. Tongue

I honestly consider stories to be TCR's weakest point, their strongest point being beautiful environments. Unfortunately, it looks like the storytelling of AAMFP falls in line with its spiritual predecessor, Dear Esther: lots of flare, symbolism, metaphors, and beautiful writing with little actual substance. Its colorful, thrilling, and often shock-reliant presentation also strongly reminds me of Bioshock Infinite. I had hopes that TCR would take on a different approach for AAMFP, but apparently that's just their style.

I see a lot of people on the forum who talk about how meaningful and intellectual AAMFP's story is - but never seen them elaborate on what they think is so remarkable about it. Any counterarguments from those who think that way are more than welcome - I sincerely want to change my opinion.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 05:18 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
09-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

An expansive and whimsical vocabulary makes everything meaningful and intellectual, don't you know?

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-11-2013, 04:56 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(09-11-2013, 04:56 AM)Streetboat Wrote: An expansive and whimsical vocabulary makes everything meaningful and intellectual, don't you know?

Damn, how could I forget. I retract all of my claims and retire from this forum to my secluded hole of shame.

^(;,;)^
09-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

that was really really good but the ending seriously could have been about a third as long jfc

Posting Freak
09-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Website Find
Mjarr Offline

Threads: 0

(09-11-2013, 04:43 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I see a lot of people on the forum who talk about how meaningful and intellectual AAMFP's story is - but never seen them elaborate on what they think is so remarkable about it. Any counterarguments from those who think that way are more than welcome - I sincerely want to change my opinion.

I would personally suspect the “problem” is more that they mix up presentation and storytelling with story itself. IMHO, Piggyback Ride's story is very basic and bare at best, but the way it is presented and told is pretty charming, and good at bringing the point across something is definitely off without bringing it up as directly as TDD did.
09-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(09-11-2013, 05:26 AM)Mjarr Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 04:43 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I see a lot of people on the forum who talk about how meaningful and intellectual AAMFP's story is - but never seen them elaborate on what they think is so remarkable about it. Any counterarguments from those who think that way are more than welcome - I sincerely want to change my opinion.

I would personally suspect the “problem” is more that they mix up presentation and storytelling with story itself. IMHO, Piggyback Ride's story is very basic and bare at best, but the way it is presented and told is pretty charming, and good at bringing the point across something is definitely off without bringing it up as directly as TDD did.

The presentation is quite good, although frankly a bit too hammy and melodramatic for my taste.

I'm a fan of the direct approach - I'd prefer to channel my energy towards thinking about a plot's meaning rather than actually trying to figure out what the plot is. Tongue Being direct doesn't mean presenting all meaningful points on a silver platter - a good story can allow for hidden meanings to be discovered through analysis. I have found this to be the case for TDD's story, at least.

^(;,;)^
09-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Find