Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 4
Juri Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 4

Can anyone tell me why this game cost 20$/16E ? It's much shorter than amnesia : TDD, so simplified than TDD, no equipment, never ending lantern, no logical missions, so linear, only pick up something with hand(lol) go 50 metres and well done. It's waste of money ! Just only story, music, sound and graphics on good level, gameplay what is pretty nice in TDD, now there are no gameplay at all, just run run run and you done. For me MFP : 5/10, TDD : 9/10, you should give back players their money back, you just robbed all of us, with full game worse than custom stories in TDD......
09-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Find
bugmenot Offline

Threads: 21

I find it disheartening that they took out some of the gameplay mechanics from Dark Descent to focus more on story. One of the reasons that Dark Descent was so scary was because it was so well designed. Everything really came together to leave you constantly in fear. Not being able to have your lantern on all the time was ESSENTIAL. Not only did it make it more difficult to see and navigate the environment in the dark, but because of the sanity system, staying the dark had consequences. Your vision was hampered; your screen became blurry, it stretched and bowed, bugs crawled across your vision. And it was so brilliant because the game forced you into the dark in order to escape your enemies. There was this awesome back and forth not only in the gameplay mechanic, but also in player emotion. The game gave you tools to stay out of the dark, the lantern and tinderboxes. Tinderboxes were important because they were a way of saving your lantern oil. by smartly using your tinderboxes you could have certain areas lit and therefore you don't need the lantern to see, allowing for its use in more necessary areas. But at the same time, when a monster appears, you want to be out of the light and preferably in a nice corner, where the monster can't see you. But of course you can't stay, because of the aforementioned sanity effects. It creates this system where the game encourages you to be in the light for the sake of navigation and general safety, but the moment you need to escape an enemy, the dark becomes the only place you want to be. I constantly engaged in this waffling emotion throughout the game. I wanted to be in the light and have my lantern out as much as possible, because I felt safe that i could see what was around me, but as soon as I engaged with a monster I ran for the dark. This love/hate relationship is greatly enhanced and promoted by the sanity system, and adds to the atmosphere and general tension of the game. An integral part of a successful horror game.

Amnesia was so good because it didn't rely on jump scares to provide horror. Yes they were there, but they were most used in the early game before you ever see the monster, and a lot of them were empty. Doors slamming shut, or a sudden flash of light as you entered a room. Wherever there was a jump scare there was nothing behind it. Anything that could hurt you in the game was never a part of a designed jump scare. Nothing spawns suddenly in behind you or on the other side of a door as you open it to hurt you, it's usually just a hallucination that poofs as you run into it, and usually they appeared as a result of your sanity. Instead the game relies on the tension of the atmosphere it creates to provide a general sense of dread and terror. From the sound design to the incredibly disgusting abominations you encounter, everything is designed to make you fear for your life.

The sanity system and the consumable lantern oil/tinderboxes were, I believe, instrumental in providing that atmosphere and I'm sad that they were discarded instead of expanded upon. Even if you're completely stuck in the dark, with no lantern oil and no tinderboxes, the game still gives you a way to recover sanity, by advancing forward. Solving puzzles and entering new areas recovered your sanity, usually at a faster rate than just by being somewhere well lit. And by exploring more, in the search of a way to advance, you more often than not found more oil and tinderboxes to resupply, with sometimes finding story elements like pieces of paper, or flashback sequences that you normally wouldn't run into had you not explored looking for oil and tinderboxes. The sanity system not only provided a mechanic to enhance the atmosphere, it provided motivation to continue onward, even if you didn't want to because of the inevitable horrors you would face in a new area.

Sanity and the conservation of items were key to developing the horror of Amnesia and it doesn't sound like a flickering lantern cluing you in to enemies appearing and the removal of consequences for staying in the dark seem like a good replacement. Obviously we won't know for sure until we play it ourselves. But i don't think its a bad thing to be wary or disappointed about it.
09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Find
Retomathic Offline

Threads: 5

I hate it, I am at work. just less than 4 hours till I can play........or let's play. ah ah ah ah,
ok bad joke, it wasn't even a joke.

but one question, are there enough monster chases? like in amnesia tdd? (storage, dungeons etc.)

and I guess like I read, the terror meter is in the final game? in the review versions (youtube) wasn't it there
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM by Retomathic.)
09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Website Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(09-10-2013, 10:36 AM)Juri Wrote: Can anyone tell me why this game cost 20$/16E ? It's much shorter than amnesia : TDD, so simplified than TDD, no equipment, never ending lantern, no logical missions, so linear, only pick up something with hand(lol) go 50 metres and well done. It's waste of money ! Just only story, music, sound and graphics on good level, gameplay what is pretty nice in TDD, now there are no gameplay at all, just run run run and you done. For me MFP : 5/10, TDD : 9/10, you should give back players their money back, you just robbed all of us, with full game worse than custom stories in TDD......

It's 16 € for the cost of the 6 hour lantern battery Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have read it wrong, I like how you manage to say something, then its opposite:
(09-10-2013, 10:36 AM)Juri Wrote: Just only story, music, sound and graphics on good level, gameplay what is pretty nice in TDD, now there are no gameplay at all
Correct me if I'm wrong... but you just mentioned the basics of a video game. What exactly do you call "gameplay" anyways and how is it important in a videogame, compared to story, music, sound and "graphics on good level"?
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM by felixmole.)
09-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

AHHHH!!! IT'S SO GOOD!!!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG, AND I CAN ONLY PLAY IT 15 MINUTES! BUT I LOVE IT! DAMN YOU SCHOOL AND YOUR 3 HOUR COMMUTES!
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Find
Vertical Offline

Threads: 1

(09-10-2013, 11:19 AM)Retomathic Wrote: I hate it, I am at work. just less than 4 hours till I can play........or let's play. ah ah ah ah,
ok bad joke, it wasn't even a joke.

but one question, are there enough monster chases? like in amnesia tdd? (storage, dungeons etc.)

and I guess like I read, the terror meter is in the final game? in the review versions (youtube) wasn't it there

Spoiler below!
As for me, there are enough monster chases (though most of the time it's just that you know they are nearby and you need to quickly plan you getaway or seek for a hideaway). For an instance: there's an unlit maze-like level with at least two pigs "on watch", and you have to find a way to continue your journey while avoiding very wary enemies.

About the terror meter - yes, there is. However it's different in comparison with the one from TDD (I like this one more, because it feels more subtle and you have to pay attention to what you're hearing).

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM by Vertical.)
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

I've played it 2 hours and I just started the piston engines. It's really good, however, lack of interaction annoys me a bit... But just a little bit, it doesn't ruin the game.
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Find
RiverPhlegethon Offline

Threads: 0

Uuugh, curse it, I have a full day of school and I can only play it when I get home ;__; This wait is going to kill me! For now, I can only sit here in envy of all you! Haha
09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Find
terzi Offline

Threads: 0

IT WORKS WITH MY LAPTOP, OH I'M SO HAPPY!!! YES YES AWESOME!
09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Haven't played yet, stuff to do.

Until then:

One day I'll be back. Yes, I'll be back. In the mean time, no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward with your beliefs and prove that I am not mistaken in mine.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Find