Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Named by TotalBiscut as his favorite game of all time
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Named by TotalBiscut as his favorite game of all time

I feel that I absolutely have to share this game with you all. I just came back from watching the above "WTF is..." video on Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons by TotalBiscut. He has made it abundantly clear that it is is favorite game of all time without a doubt in his 25 year gaming experience, surpassing every other game he has ever played delivering a unprecedented experience upon him. I trust his judgment very much so naturally this says quite a lot.

The game is a short puzzle game with a very unique mechanic which I feel is best described as "single player co-op". You will control two brothers both by yourself, and through so advance through the game.

What caught my mind most was that TotalBiscut says this is actually a extreme definition of where he feels games should be going, but are currently for the most part not: Story, and mechanics should not be separate entities. Best case scenario is that they combine completely, and you play the story, you LIVE the story.

It is through this that he declares why Brothers is so successful in its delivery. The story is touching, but not through the conventional way of cut-scenes, and voice acting. You live it which makes it all the more effective. TotalBiscut calls it even a more powerful tale than Journey by a long shot.

All in all seeing this video has convinced me that I definitely should go see what this game has to offer!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Named by TotalBiscut as his favorite game of all time

Thanks, it looks nice. But it's not true that this game and Journey are the only games which are right at story telling. No matter, it seems to be an interesting game I should give a go!
09-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Named by TotalBiscut as his favorite game of all time

Mhm i'd like to play it.

[Image: luv.gif]
09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

Gave it a try on XBLA, controls like trying to play off tempo piano, and I couldn't get invested in the story, specifically why I am trying to save the poorly characterised dad.

It's a bit much to say it's their favourite game of all time, since there are plenty of other games I can think of from the top of my head, like Silent Hill 2, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock Infinite, Spec Ops: The Line, Bastion, Half Life 2, you get the idea :p

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
09-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

It looks ok but the gameplay just seems really frustrating. Perhaps it gets better once you get used to it. Will try this game at some point.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

(09-10-2013, 02:15 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: It looks ok but the gameplay just seems really frustrating. Perhaps it gets better once you get used to it. Will try this game at some point.

Give Papers, Please a try. I kinda find the stories very engaging and at times has a lot of weight behind them.

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
09-10-2013, 03:35 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(09-09-2013, 08:22 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Just saiyan, TB also hated/disliked Dear Esther, so.. might want to take this with a little grain of salt.

No offence to TheChineseRoom, but I thought that Dear Esther was bad. You walked around an island of a man's memories and listened to him talk about seemingly pointless things. At first I thought I would like it, being a fan of Japanese visual novels and the sort... However, it didn't seem like much of a story, and you literally do hold W most of the time.

Though I'm glad it exists, just as a proof of concept, or a fact that games could be well made on this idea.

*COUGH* Dinner Date did it wrong, and so did Gone Home.
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(09-11-2013, 04:34 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 09:15 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: just no pyramid
no pyramid plz

No, I did not expect a game out of Dear Esther... But it just goes off the edgy scale in my mind and I can't like it.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM by imgoneimdead.)
09-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Scientists are so edgy, y'know with all their experimenting and shit...

[Image: luv.gif]
09-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

I have bought the game thanks to you guys!
The level designs and graphics are one of the most beautiful I have ever seen!

09-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Find