Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Requiem is ... terrible
Ninjit_Turak Offline

Threads: 1
Requiem is ... terrible

I'm sorry, i wanted to love this, i was so excited, for months I waited.

What were you guys thinking with this? It's a disjointed jump-puzzle fest. That water area? That was TERRIBLE, stacking boxes to near teeters and balancing on them just to jump a tiny gap.

There is no horror in this game at all. I'm up to the snow field and I can't work out what to do after I've used the battery to make the computer work. I turned it off after a few hours and I don't think I'll go back. What the hell were you guys thinking? This is not a penumbra game, it's a silly puzzle game.

Where are the scares!?
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Requiem is ... terrible

use the SPOILERS button!
08-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Find
Ninjit_Turak Offline

Threads: 1

Im_Sexy Wrote:use the SPOILERS button!

you're in the spoilers forum, dude. If this was a general spoiler-free review of the game I would have posted it in the general forum.
08-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Ninjit_Turak Wrote:
Im_Sexy Wrote:use the SPOILERS button!

you're in the spoilers forum, dude. If this was a general spoiler-free review of the game I would have posted it in the general forum.

even so use the spoilers
my bad
08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Find
Hollie79 Offline

Threads: 0

OK SO... back to topic. I agree with you, the other penumbra games are better when they come in a more "complete" package. This game even features some of the sound files from monsters/creatures of previous penumbra games but it's really not scary because you know it will disappear or isn't really there.

I don't think they managed to make this game scary in any way - HOWEVER, I do really* enjoy the logic puzzles the developers put together. The logic puzzles make *just* enough sense to make them easy to figure out if you just sit back and think about things. If I were advising the developers...I'd tell them to keep future penumbra games similar to previous titles and bring out a new title to boast their puzzle creating skillz. Both are great.. should just be seperate!
08-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Ninjit_Turak Wrote:I'm sorry, i wanted to love this, i was so excited, for months I waited.

What were you guys thinking with this? It's a disjointed jump-puzzle fest. That water area? That was TERRIBLE, stacking boxes to near teeters and balancing on them just to jump a tiny gap.

There is no horror in this game at all. I'm up to the snow field and I can't work out what to do after I've used the battery to make the computer work. I turned it off after a few hours and I don't think I'll go back. What the hell were you guys thinking? This is not a penumbra game, it's a silly puzzle game.

Where are the scares!?

hmmm...if Requiem is like this them its REALLY horrible Sad
I mean, i findd the level 3 puzzle annoying and hard to solve. To many things there, to many buttons etc and add the lag that makes it even more frustrating...i didnt solve it and ive closed down the game.
From what im hearing the entire game is like that?? Please dont let it be!
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2008, 02:11 AM by noctislp.)
08-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

There are some more fun puzzles ahead, level 3 (sewers, right) is so far my least favorite.
Could have had huge potential, and does show off some of the nifty physics the game has.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
08-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Find
python79 Offline

Threads: 2

Before buying the game, it is important to read this page, it explains a bit what awaits the player in this episode :

http://www.penumbrarequiem.com/site/

Quote:Penumbra: Requiem is to be considered an epilogue to Penumbra: Black Plague and not as a new episode in the Penumbra series. The main goal with Penumbra: Requiem has been to focus more on the physics puzzles and to see how far the current game engine could be pushed. This has made Requiem into a game that focuses more on gameplay and puzzles than the previous Penumbra instalments and a game that is more experimental in nature.

Although having a strong emphasis on puzzles the game still features a dense atmosphere, a trade mark of the Penumbra series. In Penumbra: Overture the goal was to induce strong fears from isolation, in Black Plague a main theme was paranoia and in Requiem you'll find a nightmarish and feverish atmosphere.

Penumbra: Requiem is an attempt to deliver a fresh and rewarding experience and not just some rehash of previous material.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM by hackbod.)
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Requiem IS terrible, im sorry.
08-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Find
HikariOblivion Offline

Threads: 0

Uhm. If you had waited for months, wouldn't you have read a bit about it? It's been long known that.. as posted above. More experimental, no combat, and all puzzles.

Also, it ties into the overall storyline into Penumbra, so it IS a Penumbra game. Personally, I appreciate the focus on atmosphere over combat. I don't think Requiem is as great as Black Plague, but personally, I prefer it to the throw-rocks-at-dogs silliness of Overture.
08-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Find