Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What would you rate AMFP out of 10?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2
6.99%
20 6.99%
3-4
10.14%
29 10.14%
5-6
22.38%
64 22.38%
7-8
33.57%
96 33.57%
9-10
26.92%
77 26.92%
Total 286 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
AMFP Member Review Thread
SurvivalHorror Offline

Threads: 0
RE: AMFP Member Review Thread

Won't be making friends with anyone with this review, but its gonna be an honest one. Having played many survival horror titles such as outlast(best game in this genre right now), all the penumbras and the first amnesia, I was really looking forward to this game, wondering if TCR could surprise me. At the least, I expected it to be as good as the original, but what did I get for 20 bucks? A compulsive desire to sign up on this forum to express my disappointment and maybe warn others.

Storyline-Reading many of the reviews here, people go so far to say the story rivals that of bioshock infinite. But IMO, that's an insult to the latter. Maybe I've got it wrong but all I got from it was That Mandus was slaughtering people in his house in order to save them in his twisted mind. And come on, we knew the children were dead from the start. This gave diminished purpose from the start as the whole goal was to save your children while the player knew the children were dead. towards the end, the game just felt like a drag as well. but perhaps I wasn't patient enough to grasp it, and I'd give the story 5/10 largely in view of that consideration, but to me, nothing special here.

Gameplay-This one was really poor for me. Diminished object interaction, repeated "puzzles" if you could call them so? Bugs, lack of inventory, rigid movement(compared to outlast, perhaps unfair), lack of hiding places and need to actually hide make this a really disappointing experience. 3 years and they churn out something lesser than the last game. I would give this 3/10. Considering I consider TDD a 7/10

Horror-I'm gonna outright say this. 0/10. I really felt that TCR had failed before they even started when they began to choose pigs as the monster in the game. In the few encounters I had with the pigs, I didn't feel threatened at all, walking up to them and even inspecting them closely the first time. the atmosphere which made TDD such a trailblazer in its genre was totally absent. Totally! I mean what the hell? make a horror game without chase music or even the scary music which is present throughout? The TDD had few encounters but the music made it a terrifying experience. Overall I was hoping the scares would deliver something despite initially being skeptical of the pigs, but I was left empty handed. The adversaries you encounter in this game don't fill you with fear, you just sidestep them at walking pace and continue. Sorry but this really made it feel like walking simulator 2013. Shocking.

Summary:Overall, unworthy of the Amnesia title which is the only thing keeping it selling in the first place. Repetitive elements, lack of atmosphere and poor choice of enemies make this game more annoying and frustrating(crashes anyone?) than enjoyable and terrifying. Put this here, turn this switch, repeat, game ends. Perhaps if you play purely for storyline this could be classed as an average game. Survival horror? You'd be more scared of how they convinced you to actually buy this game. 2/10.

Having said that, this game could have easily got High ratings had they stayed true to the amnesia experience, and it is all the more frustrating that this didn't happen.given the 3 year gap between the first game and this.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:03 AM by SurvivalHorror.)
09-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

SurvivalHorror, just to let you know, Bioshock Infinite is a complete utter crap, especially with the story.
The insulting goes other way around.
09-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

(09-12-2013, 06:06 AM)Zgroktar Wrote: SurvivalHorror, just to let you know, Bioshock Infinite is a complete utter crap, especially with the story.

I don't know,I felt there was actually a twist in the game and I was left processing days after I had completed it, that's just me eh. Although the gameplay wasn't the best.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:09 AM by SurvivalHorror.)
09-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 06:08 AM)SurvivalHorror Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:06 AM)Zgroktar Wrote: SurvivalHorror, just to let you know, Bioshock Infinite is a complete utter crap, especially with the story.

I don't know,I felt there was actually a twist in the game and I was left processing days after I had completed or, but that's just me eh

Problem with Infinite is that it choked - it raised all these issues of human exploitation, tribalism, capitalist excess and religious zealotry, and then disregarded its fascinating setting in favor of a rather dull family drama. And the ending simply negates all the raised stakes in favor of some illogical and intellectually lazy notion of resetting everything - it's hard to care about a story when it ends with nothing ever happening, or god forbid, being 'just a dream'.

I have a similar feeling with regards to AMFP's missed opportunities, but am willing to give it far more leeway because its development team had a mere fraction of the amount of funds, people and time that Irrational possessed.
09-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

(09-12-2013, 06:16 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:08 AM)SurvivalHorror Wrote:

I don't know,I felt there was actually a twist in the game and I was left processing days after I had completed or, but that's just me eh

Problem with Infinite is that it choked - it raised all these issues of human exploitation, tribalism, capitalist excess and religious zealotry, and then disregarded its fascinating setting in favor of a rather dull family drama. And the ending simply negates all the raised stakes in favor of some illogical and intellectually lazy notion of resetting everything - it's hard to care about a story when it ends with nothing ever happening, or god forbid, being 'just a dream'.

I have a similar feeling with regards to AMFP's missed opportunities, but am willing to give it far more leeway because its development team had a mere fraction of the amount of funds, people and time that Irrational possessed.

I guess I could have rated it higher if I took into account those factors, but I felt the delays and eventual 3 year gap led to expectation which was not satisfied in the end. And certainly when you compare it to the competition in this genre like outlast, I'm really concerned amnesia will turn into a one game hit much like what resident evil became.Hopefully this is not the case.
09-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

The more I think about Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, the more I fall in love with her despite some setbacks, will post a review of my own soon.
09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Find
emaper Offline

READ WHAT I THINK:
If you, guys, reputate this game a crap and you voted it 3/10, in my opinion you haven't been able to understand and appreciate it. It's way different from the original Amnesia but it's an experience based on feel the negativeness and sadness of the main character. You must identify yourselves in Oswald and try to look at the world and the society, at the same way he does.
Like I said in my personal review, some pages behind, this is an elitist game that just some are able to grasp.

Student | Bassist 

[Image: LNndQ]
09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Yes. I've noticed the dramatically low scores do seem to correspond with the shortest play times. (3-4 hours)

If you sprinted your way through AMFP, or any horror game for that matter, then in some ways it's your own fault if you didn't enjoy it. This ain't Call of Duty.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM by The Raining Brains.)
09-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

(09-12-2013, 09:55 AM)emaper Wrote: READ WHAT I THINK:
If you, guys, reputate this game a crap and you voted it 3/10, in my opinion you haven't been able to understand and appreciate it. It's way different from the original Amnesia but it's an experience based on feel the negativeness and sadness of the main character. You must identify yourselves in Oswald and try to look at the world and the society, at the same way he does.
Like I said in my personal review, some pages behind, this is an elitist game that just some are able to grasp.

I think most of the negative reviewers, myself included feel the way we do not because of an inability to grasp Mandus's story, rather we feel disappointed at the lack of resemblance to TTD and the horror genre which we thought we were paying for. You have to admit the lack of adrenaline pumping action and palpable fear which is the main draw in the horror genre for instance. I understand it was a different studio but I do feel this was a case of false advertising and had they marketed it as a interactive novel they would have got more consistent and better reviews, albeit with a smaller Consumer market. In this way we feel cheated as the game lent the reputation its predecessor had amassed to sell itself. To class the negative reviewers as simpletons unable to comprehend the supposed complexity and greatness of the story is wrong.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM by SurvivalHorror.)
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2

(09-12-2013, 10:14 AM)The Raining Brains Wrote: Yes. I've noticed the dramatically low scores do seem to correspond with the shortest play times. (3-4 hours)

If you sprinted your way through AMFP, or any horror game for that matter, then in some ways it's your own fault if you didn't enjoy it. This ain't Call of Duty.

I finished in about 5 hours. I tried to take my time, I really did. During the first hour and a half, turning each corner was a source of dread. Then I was able to successfully predict when they were and weren't going to throw enemies at me. Thus, I lost the sense of terror and was able to continue at a quicker pace.

Also, I disliked how I, the player, was exposed to Mandus' plight almost entirely through journal entries...
Spoiler below!

Yes, I SAW his dead children, but I didn't feel bad primarily because I wasn't given any reason to appreciate their characters. Yes, he wrote about it in his diaries pages, (which were written nicely) only the impact isn't as intense because I'm not hearing his disheartened, saddened voice.
Seriously, I didn't see Mandus' character change at his realization of the fate of his children or that he was manipulated by the machine. He just wrote about it in his journal.

A:TDD is an "different game", yes, but think of Daniel's diary pages. He was a harmless, innocent man who was manipulated by Alexander into doing terrible things. I felt and understood his situation because I heard the emotion in his voice.

Anyway, perhaps it's just me. =/
09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Find