Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What would you rate AMFP out of 10?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2
6.99%
20 6.99%
3-4
10.14%
29 10.14%
5-6
22.38%
64 22.38%
7-8
33.57%
96 33.57%
9-10
26.92%
77 26.92%
Total 286 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
AMFP Member Review Thread
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2
RE: AMFP Member Review Thread

Most things have been discussed to death already so I just want to focus on one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet at all. I really LOVED the different approach to level design, especially the secret passages in the mansion and all those other maze-like levels. The levels just felt much more complex than in TDD although, obviously, they are structured very linearly with often only one way to go. TDD had a more simpler design with hub levels and didn't have the problem with getting too linear. Maybe a combination of both approaches is a good idea.
09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(09-12-2013, 06:06 AM)Zgroktar Wrote: SurvivalHorror, just to let you know, Bioshock Infinite is a complete utter crap, especially with the story.
The insulting goes other way around.

Really? I was quite impressed with Infinite's story. The pacing was good, the themes were cleverly built into the plot, and the twist was great. I perceived it as a family drama from the start, though. The main fault of the game was that the story felt quite disconnected, and the combat ruined it. It would have worked well as a movie.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
09-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Find
TheNextLevelz Offline

Threads: 4

can anyone tell if there will be custom stories?
thanksSmile
09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

(09-12-2013, 04:09 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:06 AM)Zgroktar Wrote: SurvivalHorror, just to let you know, Bioshock Infinite is a complete utter crap, especially with the story.

Really? I was quite impressed with Infinite's story. The pacing was good, the themes were cleverly built into the plot, and the twist was great. I perceived it as a family drama from the start, though. The main fault of the game was that the story felt quite disconnected, and the combat ruined it. It would have worked well as a movie.

For me Bioshock Infinite story is just a melting pot of forced exposition and fragmented ideas, none of them were really meaningful and developed. It becomes even more of a mess towards the ending with pretentious theories of parallel universes, which is for me desperately trying to divert our attention from overall blandness and emptiness of the game, Bioshock Infinite is the Inception of video games. However it does have some nice, even beautiful moments here and there, but on the larger scale it failed. And yes combat and other aspects of the gameplay were hideous.
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(09-12-2013, 04:17 PM)Zgroktar Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 04:09 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:

For me Bioshock Infinite story is just a melting pot of forced exposition and fragmented ideas, none of them were really meaningful and developed. It becomes even more of a mess towards the ending with pretentious theories of parallel universes, which is for me desperately trying to divert our attention from overall blandness and emptiness of the game, Bioshock Infinite is the Inception of video games. However it does have some nice, even beautiful moments here and there, but on the larger scale it failed. And yes combat and other aspects of the gameplay were hideous.

I'm not sure why you find the parallel universes pretentious. The theme is present from the very start till the end of the game. I didn't feel like it was slapped on at all. Can you elaborate?

Also, there's considerable scientific evidence supporting their existence in real life - just a cool fact. Tongue

What I enjoyed the most was probably how the main character's memories and thinking were changed to fit his situation when he was carried into the alternate universe, but on a structural level remained homologous to the original ones - it was quite clever, not to mention psychological.

It bears resemblance to how in real life we are drawn to stories, characters and themes that remind us of our own lives and experiences. If you take the time to dig into the messages in your favorite works of art, note how you perceive them, and then connect your findings together, you can be surprised on how deep the patterns can go, all while the selective process that governs our tastes remains mostly unconscious. Somehow, the mind always finds a way to see these patterns, and in many cases it is more clever that our "conscious self" (I hate using those words). I find it pretty fascinating, and I was interested to see Bioshock Infinite touch on this theme of psychoanalysis.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0

Markiplier gave an extended analysis of the game at the end. His views more or less mirror my own. It shouldn't have had Amnesia in the title.

(09-12-2013, 11:11 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: I can tell you for a fact that the game on average really does take about that long even if you didn't sprint through everything. You could only get more unless you slowed it WAYY down.

I tried searching every nook, and cranny, and playthrough clocked in at about three hours, and 45 minutes.

I'm pretty sure most of the official reviewers took about 5 hours too. I wasn't playing slow at all, so I don't know what the hell you were doing.

I took my time reading the notes because I really wanted to absorb every detail...so maybe that added an hour or so. Or maybe your definition of slow is my what I would prefer to call smooth and natural. I mean the way some of these lets players spin their mouse around. In reality if anyone turned their neck that fast, they'd give themselves whiplash.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM by The Raining Brains.)
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Find
Dune Jumper Offline

Threads: 1

They took out the inventory and sanity meter, you don't have to worry about oil, and you can hardy interact with ANYTHING.
They removed everything that made Amnesia, Amnesia. Now it's virtually Dear Esther with Amnesia slapped in the title.
What do you know, The Chinese Room has made another flop. Working with them was a HUGE mistake and I hope Frictional Games doesn't do it again.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM by Dune Jumper.)
09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Website Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

A Machine For Pigs story and imagery was far more horrific than a cheap sanity meter where your vision blurs and you get terrible mouse smoothing.

A Machine For Pigs was also much better than The Dark Descent imo.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM by pinkribbonscars.)
09-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(09-12-2013, 06:18 PM)Dune Jumper Wrote: They took out the inventory and sanity meter, you don't have to worry about oil, and you can hardy interact with ANYTHING.
They removed everything that made Amnesia, Amnesia. Now it's virtually Dear Esther with Amnesia slapped in the title.
What do you know, The Chinese Room has made another flop. Working with them was a HUGE mistake and I hope Frictional Games doesn't do it again.

What do you mean with another flop? They sold over 750.000 copies of Dear Esther, I wouldn't call this a flop.
09-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Find
JarrodTheBobo Offline

Threads: 2

(09-12-2013, 06:34 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: A Machine For Pigs story and imagery was far more horrific than a cheap sanity meter where your vision blurs and you get terrible mouse smoothing.

A Machine For Pigs was also much better than The Dark Descent imo.

Then obviously you didn't play TDD.

The sanity meter was in no way "cheap". It showed that Daniel was only human, and his fears effected him in a huge sense. Staring at the monsters, or staying in the dark too long frightened Daniel to the point of tears, nervous panting, and eventually, pretty much passing out. Tell me, if you were in a similar situation, with similar fears, would you not react in a similar fashion that Daniel did?

Without the sanity meter, you're pretty much a superman, who is afraid of nothing and can just run through anything no matter how terrifying/horrible, which is completely unrealistic.

And also, ah found almost nothing absolutely "horrific" in AMFP, just gross/gruesome/gory.

To say AMFP was better than TDD is to say that you've never played TDD at all.
09-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Find