Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What would you rate AMFP out of 10?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2
6.99%
20 6.99%
3-4
10.14%
29 10.14%
5-6
22.38%
64 22.38%
7-8
33.57%
96 33.57%
9-10
26.92%
77 26.92%
Total 286 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
AMFP Member Review Thread
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0
RE: AMFP Member Review Thread

I wonder how Frictional feel about all this? It was, after all, their decision to hand over the franchise to TCR.

Also, wasn't TDD technically a big "change" also, considering it lacked weapons?
09-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 05:39 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: Also, wasn't TDD technically a big "change" also, considering it lacked weapons?

Penumbra Black Plague had no weapons at all ^_^ So... no, it wasnt a big change.
09-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Technically it was possible to use weapons in Black Plague. There was some video on YouTube where someone killed an infected with dynamites.

09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Website Find
Rya.Reisender Offline

Threads: 1

I really would like to see a more official statement on the criticism too.
I agree that you can't really reply to people who just don't like the changes because they expected something else. But if the changes are changes to the worse then that's pretty valid criticism.
Why not just learn from the mistakes? Doesn't it get obvious that the majority wants the game to be less linear, that the majority wants harder puzzles, that the majority wants objects to be interactable with even if they have nothing to do with the puzzles?
09-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 05:48 PM)Scraper Wrote: Technically it was possible to use weapons in Black Plague. There was some video on YouTube where someone killed an infected with dynamites.

Well theres some videos on youtube about how to kill a kaernk or how to make a grunt jump down a bridge. Is it possible? Yeah but, Is it meant to happen? No.
09-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Find
exmachinax Offline

I miss the "good old" inventory, oil management and sanity meter. They were big *gameplay* parts of TDD. I had things to do and to think about instead of, you know, just walking forward. TDD had exploration, involve some thinking of the player not only about the story, but also from the puzzles too (which were, mostly, just right in the first game IMO).

At this rate, next game will what, a slide show? Big Grin (just kidding here)

I also miss deeply the physics affectting all objects in the game world. It is huge for me. It harkens back to the concept of immersive simulators. In TDD the physics was consistent, it helped me believe I was in a consistently logical world despite all the supernatural things going on. Helps gives a sense of immersion, of "reality". In AMFP it just shows the Game Designer Hand, just show how artificial the world is: If the all powerfull Game Designer wants, I can move this object, if he does not want, I cannot. Thus, it less believable game world for me.

If only AMFP managed to be scarier, people would be more forgiven of if. But it simply wasn't. If anything, it felt more scripted for me. I could see most scares coming a mile away.

One great thing AAMFP did, that as far as I've read is not mentioned at all in "big" magazines/sites review, is the fascinating subtlety of the changes in the game world since the very beginning (maybe because they are very easy to overlook). Pig mask appearing/changing, one mask that is visible when looking behind a painting but not when you are physically in the room, the owl statue that goes to the other side of the "hunting" room and more. This was really a high point of the game for me.

The story is thought provoking, kept me hooked (though looking back, all things considered it does steer towards melodrama a bit too much).
09-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

Hi everyone.

Long time member here. Been a fan of Frictional games and a forum member since back in 2006 when they released the Penumbra tech demo. I was very young then and...made some pretty embarrassing posts back then the worst of which has been purged when they got rid of the good old 2006 tech demo forums. Most people who knew me are probably long gone by now, the only person I recognize here is Scraper and of course the old Dev team members.

Wanted to give everybody my thoughts on AMFP.

Lets start with the things that I enjoyed because that will be easy.

Music: This part I think one upped Amnesia and I have always appreciated the music that the Chinese Room have put into their games. I enjoyed the motif and style of the music more then Amnesia so keep in mind that there could in fact be some Bias behind that.

Story: I enjoyed the story-line more then Amnesia but again I enjoyed the setting and motif more then Amnesia so there is Bias there as well. However I felt that this game was more of a spin-off rather then a proper sequel to Amnesia.

The few ties it does have to Amnesia are the fact that the main character Mandus is related to the villain Alexander of the TDD and is able to create the man piggies using refined techniques that Alexander used to create his servants. This makes sense and is pretty clever actually.

However It also makes mention of the orb from TDD and that makes little sense because nowhere in the game does the shadow come for Mandus. The game does not even mention the shadow at all. This makes no sense to me and if somebody could explain it too me I would be happy.

Graphics: Not much to say here. It runs on the same engine as TDD but with some minor improvements. It looks nice is about all I can say.

Now here we go with the huge issue with this game.

Gameplay: Simply put the gameplay does not measure up to TDD at all. To start with the level design is incredibly linear and the nice Hub area design that Frictional used in Amnesia and Penumbra has been castrated with Hub areas being small and always having only two places to go too before you can move on.

Puzzles are simplified heavily and take little effort compared to the puzzles of Amnesia. I never once had to think seriously about any puzzle that I came across while playing. This is due in part to the fact that the inventory system has been completely removed from the game.

The health system is non-existent and has been replaced with regenerating health which takes A LOT of the tension out of chases or enemy encounters in general since you know that all you will have to do is go hide in the corner and your health will magically come back to you.

Sanity is done away with and I am fine with that since Sanity in TDD was annoying but Chinese Room apparently forgot to replace it with anything so it just ends up being a further gutting of what Frictional made with TDD.

I am really baffled at all of this because watching the Dev interviews with the Chinese Room before this game came out it seemed that they really understood what made Amnesia and Penumbra good but despite this they really dropped the ball.

It really just confuses me.

Why couldn't CR design any cool or fun puzzles?

Why did they make the game have Regen-health? Would it really have been so hard to add some health items here and there?

Why was everything so linear and short? Again this game could have at least been made longer if they had made some good hubs with perhaps a central hub puzzle to solve but they don't.

Why did CR not make a effort to replace the things that they took out of the game from TDD? They could have at least replaced the Sanity from TDD with the panic mechanic from Penumbra since I found that better then the Sanity system.

And why oh why did CR get rid of the inventory system and all the items that Amnesia had?

Conclusion: In the end everything loses a lot of its impact and quality without the gameplay backing it up so I can only give in good conscious AMFP a 6.5/10.

It really feels to me like the Bioshock: Infinite of horror games in that while the visuals and music and story please me greatly it guts a lot of what made the series great.

I don't blame Frictional Games for this because I realize that they are working on their own project and so gave the reigns of the sequel to The Chinese Room to use with Minimal involvement, and I am sure whatever Frictional is working on will be great, it just really confuses me that The Chinese Room dropped the ball like that.

I hope that this will not dampen peoples attitudes to Frictional Games as well and that more importantly it will not hurt them financially because I really do care about this company. I have been watching it grow for such a long time and I am honestly scared that this could hurt them.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 12:09 AM by jo291.)
09-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Find
cebad Offline

Threads: 4

played the game for almost 2 hours and got trapped by a pig monster and it hit me, then it hit me again, then it hit me a couple more times before i died, I probably could have got away too, maybe it will get better but Pretty disappointed so far.
09-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

Just finished the game. Not scary? F*** off.
09-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

I finished the game a couple of days ago.It wasn't as scary as TDD but it was pretty spooky and did made me turn off the game couple of times but not as much as TDD.The story was amazing and so was the atmosphere.So in my opinion I give a 7.5 out of 10.
09-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Find