Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
chineseroom Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity

(09-20-2013, 07:21 PM)Paddy Wrote: It's not so much an article on diversity in games as it is a giant hand, waving away any and all criticism.

I already talked about the article in the Review thread so I'll shut up now.

I love Jess, she's always such a warm, bright, talented, and all-around lovely person and I think I have some sort of weird fanboy crush on her. But fuck this article.

Really folks? We're not allowed to have a response to the fucking brainless bullshit that's been lobbed in our direction? I think Jess was pretty damn generous, way more charitable than I would have been if it was me writing it. The inability of some people to escape from this "it has to be exactly as it was before or it's shit" mentality is downright depressing. This is not saying we can't take criticism, and that's in no way what is being said in the article. What Jess is staying is critique it, yes, do, by all means, but critique it intelligently, not through this weird defensive all-difference-seeks-to-destroy-our-medium cock.

I'm 40. I've been playing and loving games since long before half the people telling us we are anti-games were even the dream of a zygote in their parents underwear.

This isn't a response to you Paddy, btw, just an opportune place to post.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 08:06 PM by chineseroom.)
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(09-20-2013, 08:05 PM)chineseroom Wrote:
(09-20-2013, 07:21 PM)Paddy Wrote: It's not so much an article on diversity in games as it is a giant hand, waving away any and all criticism.

I love Jess, she's always such a warm, bright, talented, and all-around lovely person and I think I have some sort of weird fanboy crush on her. But fuck this article.

Really folks? We're not allowed to have a response to the fucking brainless bullshit that's been lobbed in our direction? I think Jess was pretty damn generous, way more charitable than I would have been if it was me writing it. The inability of some people to escape from this "it has to be exactly as it was before or it's shit" mentality is downright depressing.1. This is not saying we can't take criticism, and that's in no way what is being said in the article. What Jess is staying is critique it, yes, do, by all means, but critique it 2. intelligently, not through this weird defensive all-difference-seeks-to-destroy-our-medium cock.

3 I'm 40. I've been playing and loving games since long before half the people telling us we are anti-games were even the dream of a zygote in their parents underwear.

1. This is exactly you saying you can't take criticism.
2. Are you even reading the same reviewers I am? Most of them like the games positive aspects, and are pointing out the negative. Or by intelligently, do you mean "agree with me?"
3. Going on 5? I mean, what the hell did you expect by making a niche game? Even a niche game whose design isn't meant to appeal to the original niche audience of Amnesia. That's niche-ception.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 08:30 PM by Ghieri.)
09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-20-2013, 08:05 PM)chineseroom Wrote:

Really folks? We're not allowed to have a response to the fucking brainless bullshit that's been lobbed in our direction? I think Jess was pretty damn generous, way more charitable than I would have been if it was me writing it. The inability of some people to escape from this "it has to be exactly as it was before or it's shit" mentality is downright depressing. This is not saying we can't take criticism, and that's in no way what is being said in the article. What Jess is staying is critique it, yes, do, by all means, but critique it intelligently, not through this weird defensive all-difference-seeks-to-destroy-our-medium cock.

I'm 40. I've been playing and loving games since long before half the people telling us we are anti-games were even the dream of a zygote in their parents underwear.

I was wondering when you'd respond to all the negativity getting blown here. Don't worry, after the first few months the squealing will die down. :p
09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(09-20-2013, 08:05 PM)chineseroom Wrote: Really folks? We're not allowed to have a response to the fucking brainless bullshit that's been lobbed in our direction? I think Jess was pretty damn generous, way more charitable than I would have been if it was me writing it. The inability of some people to escape from this "it has to be exactly as it was before or it's shit" mentality is downright depressing. This is not saying we can't take criticism, and that's in no way what is being said in the article. What Jess is staying is critique it, yes, do, by all means, but critique it intelligently, not through this weird defensive all-difference-seeks-to-destroy-our-medium cock.

all i gotta say is:

Chill. Seriously, i agree about the fact that most of people are just saying bullshit about the game, they are stupid to be shocked by no inventory or things like that because they were already told the game wasnt going to have that. It's also stupid of them to expect the game wouldnt change at all, because if it had everything ATDD had, then what difference would it be from a regular full conversion or a custom story.

Anyway that aside, so you know on which side i am

I'm gonna be honest, as overwhelming as it may be and deppresing for you. Do you really think that's a professional way as a game company or a game developer to treat negative critics? And as dumb and clueless some people may be, you've got to remain calm to deal with them.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Find
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6

If only thechineseroom knew how retarded this fanbase was before they wasted their time making a game for them.

(09-20-2013, 08:39 PM)Dogfood Wrote: I'm gonna be honest, as overwhelming as it may be and deppresing for you. Do you really think that's a professional way as a game company or a game developer to treat negative critics? And as dumb and clueless some people may be, you've got to remain calm to deal with them.

Why respond to stupidity with calmness and intelligence? It makes no difference when dealing with those kind of people.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 08:44 PM by Lewk.)
09-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Eh, it's the internet. People will just vomit out any bile they feel for something, particularly if it's a sequel. Some of it may be legitimate, but most of it's fit only for mockery.
09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Find
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6

(09-20-2013, 08:43 PM)Alardem Wrote: Eh, it's the internet. People will just vomit out any bile they feel for something, particularly if it's a sequel. Some of it may be legitimate, but most of it's fit only for mockery.

So most people who were pretending to critique the game were actually just trolling? Okay, good that we know they aren't credible in any way now. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM by Lewk.)
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Find
Corbent Offline

Threads: 1

The internet is a machine. A machine for trolls. Fit only for the feeding of trolls.
09-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'm waiting for the disclaimer: "Frictional Games does not necessarily share the view points of it's employees or associates."

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-20-2013, 08:05 PM)chineseroom Wrote: ...

Of course you're allowed to have a response, but the problem we're having with this particular article is that it completely misrepresents and trivialises the positions of the people who have criticised AAMFP, not that Jess had the gall to give us her opinion. I loved the game, but boiling down all of the criticisms to "it's not like Amnesia therefore I hate it" is ridiculous. Forum trolls and YouTube commenters are cunts almost by definition, so ignoring that camp for the moment I can't think of a single reviewer - amateur or otherwise - who has criticised AAMFP because the game design was too "threatening" to their immovable ideas of what games should or shouldn't be. It's condescending to assume that this is what the critics really meant and that between the lines of their reviews lies their fear and insecurity about the evolution of the medium.

No one would ever dream of defending the opinions of the belligerent assholes who post one-paragraph hategasms and then leave, but the way Jess was talking in that article it's as if everyone but the most diehard fans have been doing that. Lumping all of the critics together into the "afraid of change" category isn't helpful.

Jess even said in the article herself that praise was being heaped on you guys for everything but the removal of certain mechanics. Is that one area of criticism really so lush with hatred so as to cancel out the massive love for everything else?

I can't imagine the stress involved with releasing a game, especially one with so much hype and expectation beating a path to the release date. I understand that you've been around for most of the gaming industry's life, and that you're better qualified (literally!) to talk about it than most, but I for one have not been questioning any of the decisions you guys made with AAMFP - I loved the game and disagree with most of the criticisms. I don't actually have a point to make with this, I just wanted to say it!
09-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Find