Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
jd1802 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: My opinion about how TCR is dealing with the criticism

(09-21-2013, 07:54 AM)Alardem Wrote: I think the game's linearity and simplicity works better for introducing non-gamers or casual players into the horror experience.

IMO casual players would just stop playing after they understand that a lot of the game is actually reading. I am not criticizing that aspect of the game but to be honest casual players normally look for that, to play.

I think Slender is for casual players who look for horror. This game is actually for people who are looking for something different. But people who are just looking for easy entertainment probably wont make it to half the game without getting bored :L
09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-21-2013, 08:02 AM)jd1802 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 07:54 AM)Alardem Wrote: I think the game's linearity and simplicity works better for introducing non-gamers or casual players into the horror experience.

IMO casual players would just stop playing after they understand that a lot of the game is actually reading. I am not criticizing that aspect of the game but to be honest casual players normally look for that, to play.

I think Slender is for casual players who look for horror. This game is actually for people who are looking for something different. But people who are just looking for easy entertainment probably wont make it to half the game without getting bored :L

Ugh. Are we seriously that illiterate, or is it just people on this forum? We're typing in English, for God's sake!

Regardless of whether you're too lazy enough to use language, the game's sound design and detailed environments are masterful and makes a jaded person like me wonder how much more profoundly others can be affected.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 08:06 AM by Alardem.)
09-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:04 AM)Alardem Wrote: Ugh. Are we seriously that illiterate, or is it just people on this forum? We're typing in English, for God's sake!

Dude that was like really rude :'C Im sorry if im hurting your eyes but I barely speak english so at least Im trying you know? I think thats not actually important here
09-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-21-2013, 08:12 AM)jd1802 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:04 AM)Alardem Wrote: Ugh. Are we seriously that illiterate, or is it just people on this forum? We're typing in English, for God's sake!

Dude that was like really rude :'C Im sorry if im hurting your eyes but I barely speak english so at least Im trying you know? I think thats not actually important here

I'm not insulting you - I've seen far worse from Americans. :p Apparently it's hard to just take the time and read things. It's not like they're written in Shakespearean English, let alone Old English.

I can understand the criticism about relying on notes too much rather than environmental information (taking cues from Half-Life, perhaps it'd have been better to see evidence of Mandus' abuse of orphans and the poor rather than reading about it?) But I'm dismayed by the notion that apparently people can't be assed to just take the time and READ WHAT THE GAME GIVES YOU.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me - I prefer reading much more than hearing anyway.

EDIT: Apparently MyRedNeptune thinks my comment on the linguistic skills of English speakers on the internet is 'racist'. Guess you're lucky enough to not have seen how bad most of them are. :p
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM by Alardem.)
09-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:23 AM)Alardem Wrote: Apparently it's hard to just take the time and read things. It's not like they're written in Shakespearean English, let alone Old English.

I can understand the criticism about relying on notes too much rather than environmental information (taking cues from Half-Life, perhaps it'd have been better to see evidence of Mandus' abuse of orphans and the poor rather than reading about it?) But I'm dismayed by the notion that apparently people can't be assed to just take the time and READ WHAT THE GAME GIVES YOU.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me - I prefer reading much more than hearing anyway.

Dude its not hard at all but we're talking about casual players here. The casual players I know are like... pewdiepie or something. I've seen some pewdiepie videos and what I learned from them is that some people just dont care about the story of games at all. As much as I love story on games and I dont like games like Slender cause theres just no point there I have to admit that casual players like I said just want to play. So games like this one are too deep for someone that is just looking to have fun. And yeah I know how some people are arguing about this game being ''2deep4u'' and all that but lets be honest, is not easy to understand and casual players might just get confused and bored and just stop playing :L
09-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Find
Lazoriss Offline

Threads: 2

Well it DOES explain a lot of the backlash this game gets, especially when compared to TDD. Casual gamers just wanted a scary romp in a unnerving setting. TDD is so appealing because it can be played and enjoyed both on the surface and for its entirety. TDD is very entertaining and full of mechanics. You get chased by monsters in a spooky castle, solve clever puzzles, and have a good story. AMFP sacrifices most of the scares and puzzles for the story part, creating a intricate and almost TOO deep plot. It basically IS an interactive story book, and I like that. But that means this game will only be enjoyed by the people who are into that sort of thing. :B

Honestly, I'm overflowing with joy at the existence of this game. It is like walking through a story book (a very GOOD book, might I add). There's not a lot of games like that out there right now. It's really too bad this game has such mixed reception since I'd love to play more games like this. If I want to piss myself running through an monster filled facility, I'll play SCP or one of the many good Amnesia custom stories out there. But this game is a fresh and unique experience.
09-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Find
NicoNico Offline

Hey everyone !

Well, that's kind of a "crisis" here, isn't it ?
Honestly, I find it kind of funny how the haters (NOT talking about people who just didn't like the game. That's fine. TOTALLY talking about the others who just came on this forum to insult the developers) feel "offended" because Jessica basically said "you didn't get it (I agree on that), now, please, stop being cry babies and suck it" while they actually come on the developer's website to scream at them, saying that "the game is utter shit", that "TCR and FG lied to them", that "they feel cheated", that "they could have done a better job themselves, for free", that "TCR can't make a game", that "they just stick the Amnesia name to make cash", that "the game is written like ass" and all this disrespectful things, and expect from the developers to chill out...
I mean, really ? You come to them, insult them, and then, you get mad because the developpers don't answer with "ok guys, you're right, our game is shit. Next time, we'll try harder. Thank you very much for all your feedback on the game. It helps. A lot." Don't you think the developpers felt a little... "offended" too ?
To be honest, I find it kind of refreshing to see a professionnal talk to all these guys the same way they talk to them. A lot of gamers nowadays think they can say or do what they want because "I give you my money, dipshit" but no. I'm sorry. No.
When I saw that the gamers made Bioware change the ending of Mass Effect 3, I thought "what the hell is that ?" You can hate the ending all you want, that's fine. You can tell the developpers you didn't like it, that's fine. But writing a petition to change it ? Really ? So what's the next step ? You watch a movie, don't like someone in the cast and threaten the director to sue him if he doesn't re-shot the movie with another actor ? Think I'm a little extreme here ? Well, someone actually made a thread on this forum to convince people to sue TCR and FG, because he thought the one-year old trailer was "false advertising". And, guess what ? Some agreed !
Who do these guys think they are ?
Alright, I can already hear all the people saying "But WE play the game, so it should please US! It's OUR game !"
No.
True, a game is meant to be played and every company tries its best to please the most people they can, but it doesn't make the game OURS. It is still the artistic vision of the developpers. It's THEIR game.
If you want a game that's completely yours, make it yourself.

So, here are my thought about that. I know a lot of people will get mad at me for saying that, but, really, I do understand how TCR feel.
Gamers, hear my advice : if you want respect, you have to give respect. That's the only way.

Peace.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM by NicoNico.)
09-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(09-21-2013, 11:35 AM)NicoNico Wrote: Hey everyone !

Well, that's kind of a "crisis" here, isn't it ?
Honestly, I find it kind of funny how the haters (NOT talking about people who just didn't like the game. That's fine. TOTALLY talking about the others who just came on this forum to insult the developers) feel "offended" because Jessica basically said "you didn't get it (I agree on that), now, please, stop being cry babies and suck it" while they actually come on the developer's website to scream at them, saying that "the game is utter shit", that "TCR and FG lied to them", that "they feel cheated", that "they could have done a better job themselves, for free", that "TCR can't make a game", that "they just stick the Amnesia name to make cash", that "the game is written like ass" and all this disrespectful things, and expect from the developers to chill out...
I mean, really ? You come to them, insult them, and then, you get mad because the developpers don't answer with "ok guys, you're right, our game is shit. Next time, we'll try harder. Thank you very much for all your feedback on the game. It helps. A lot." Don't you think the developpers felt a little... "offended" too ?
To be honest, I find it kind of refreshing to see a professionnal talk to all these guys the same way they talk to them. A lot of gamers nowadays think they can say or do what they want because "I give you my money, dipshit" but no. I'm sorry. No.
When I saw that the gamers made Bioware change the ending of Mass Effect 3, I thought "what the hell is that ?" You can hate the ending all you want, that's fine. You can tell the developpers you didn't like it, that's fine. But writing a petition to change it ? Really ? So what's the next step ? You watch a movie, don't like someone in the cast and threaten the director to sue him if he doesn't re-shot the movie with another actor ? Think I'm a little extreme here ? Well, someone actually made a thread on this forum to convince people to sue TCR and FG, because he thought the one-year old trailer was "false advertising". And, guess what ? Some agreed !
Who do these guys think they are ?
Alright, I can already hear all the people saying "But WE play the game, so it should please US! It's OUR game !"
No.
True, a game is meant to be played and every company tries its best to please the most people they can, but it doesn't make the game OURS. It is still the artistic vision of the developpers. It's THEIR game.
If you want a game that's completely yours, make it yourself.

So, here are my thought about that. I know a lot of people will get mad at me for saying that, but, really, I do understand how TCR feel.
Gamers, hear my advice : if you want respect, you have to give respect. That's the only way.

Peace.

I agree. I think 'gamers' have a lot of ego to say some of things they said. I love this game. I hope both FG and TCR know that. To me, they want to tell an artist to turn a portrait into a caricature. Or a paint-by-number. At that point, I'd be annoyed FOR the developers.
Originality isn't rewarded often. The regurgitated messes that sell millions and billions are very rarely original, interesting, and appeal to the higher faculties of the mind.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 12:40 PM by VaeVictis.)
09-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Find
dufake Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-IcS7mRSk

After all, I praise AMFP as a Raphael Game.(no offense here)

Mandus accomplished EVERYTHING, and he is a very Emotional person in our ages.
Especially he is good at WALKING.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 12:11 PM by dufake.)
09-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Find
padme Offline

(09-21-2013, 04:36 AM)Kein Wrote: What criticism? You mean whining like "But but.. I wanted and expected TDD2!!!1111" (poor, blind and deaf children that for some reason over-fantasized the game they expected)? That is not a valid criticism and I don't think either FG or TCR even bothered by that in slightest. Actual, valid criticism I have yet to see.

Well, looking at the Penumbra's series and the first Amnesia and then looking at the title of AFMP clearly saying "Amnesia"... Oh! And also TCR telling us that would be as scary as Amnesia (you know, making comparisons with Amnesia)...

Yes, I can't see all the disappointment around the game... People are just crazy.
09-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Find