Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Tombcool Offline

Threads: 2
Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

I grew up playing survival horror games, and the ones I grew up on were pretty fair to both sexes - male and female.

Silent Hill 3 had a female protagonist, sadly, the only one in the series.
Resident Evil was the most fair, the first three games having equal opportunity of playing as either a man or female (and both).
There were others like Clock Tower, and Fatal Frame... but over the last decade there hasn't been much fairness to females in gaming.

Now, I am a big fan of the Penumbra games, and the first Amnesia game. Not a big fan of AMFP, but can't the developers please just make ONE full-length game where the entire game has a female protagonist? Justine does not even count because that was one level and extremely short. And I do feel like they did it so people would not call the developer "sexist".

Why aren't developers producing at least one full length game with a female protagonist?

Are they afraid of being labelled "ghey" or not masculine?

I really want to know.

All these games revolve around "daddy" this or "daddy" that, or my father died and I need to search for him... I don't like it and its exhibiting some serious mother issues. To me it's becoming apparent that most developers today are exhibiting serious mysogyny.

Please don't call me a feminist because I think most if all of you know that there are no games produced in the last few years with a female protagonist.

Name one full-length first-person horror game with a female protagonist?

None.

And ones that are not horror, lets see: Tomb Raider, Bayonetta, Lollipop Chainsaw... and 99 of the other titles have male protagonists.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM by Tombcool.)
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Find
kingbdogz Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

You're an idiot.
09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Find
Tombcool Offline

How?

Frictional Games made five games, not one of them had a female protagonist.
09-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Find
Sefam Offline

Frictional Games/The Chinese Room wanted a male protagonist. It's their choice and right. You can ask why, but requesting developers/artists to change their game/art to fit your sensibilities is really insulting.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:50 AM by Sefam.)
09-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Find
Tombcool Offline

I am just asking why independent developers NEVER want female protagonists. They always want male protagonists.

It's also pretty insulting when you have no games on the market being released where you play as a female.

I am guessing all the people that are going to bash me, including the ones that posted are men. Very typical.

I was asking a question, I did not want to get bashed.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:52 AM by Tombcool.)
09-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Find
Babomancer Offline

It's an artistic choice, not an affront to the female sex. I bet you think Lovecraft was sexist too?
09-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Find
Sefam Offline

(09-11-2013, 08:50 AM)Tombcool Wrote: I am just asking why independent developers NEVER want female protagonists. They always want male protagonists.

It's also pretty insulting when you have no games on the market being released where you play as a female.

If you want games on the market where you play as a female, then make them. If you don't like it, then don't buy the product Dodgy .

The protagonist for Supergiant Games' next game, Transistor, is female, and I'm not down at their door complaining how it's not a male staring as the protagonist.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM by Sefam.)
09-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Find
Tombcool Offline

I am complaining at the fact the market is over-saturated with male protagonists.

I really guarantee if within the next few years developers dropped male protagonists and went full-out female, you would have a bunch of angry male gamers complaining.

@Babomancer

Yes, I do.

But then again, I love his literary work.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM by Tombcool.)
09-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

I guess there weren't many woman industrial moguls in Victorian era...
09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Find
Tombcool Offline

There weren't any Pigmen in the Victoria era either... what is your point? Tongue

It's a game, it is supposed to be fictional, so putting an industrial female back in the Victorian era would not have made it any more or else fantastical. Tongue

PS. I appreciate your respectful reply. (I am not being sarcastic, I am being serious...)
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM by Tombcool.)
09-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Find