Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

The difference of playing as a female versus a male if you are a male? Her voice turns you on? All that heavy panting and breathing and screaming... Oh no...

-Grind to the Gore-
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(09-11-2013, 03:27 PM)Scraper Wrote: Nobody cared about my great idea of gameplay mechanics! Sad

That's racist. Why do I have to decide for a gender? I want to be a bit of both.
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-11-2013, 03:06 PM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: But in all honesty, who gives a damn what gender, race or religion the lead role portrays? In my opinion, it should be a male anyway if the game revolves around horror as we all know woman are more reluctant to be frightened and are weaker than men and these games are based on survival. Not sexism, fact - let the flamewar begin!

Hahaha well, if your knowledge of what women do in moments of terror consists entirely of what you've seen them do in movies from the 1950s, then yes, you're absolutely spot on!

5 minutes on World Star Hip Hop will rid any man of any semblance of superiority over women in terms of physical strength, courage, recklessness or a willingness to jab their elbow into another person's throat 6 or 7 times before an even scarier woman drags her off.

Question: what if during the next Tomb Raider we find out that Lara Croft is actually a male-to-female transgendered person? I mean, in terms of this debate about female protagonists? Will that count? Does it matter what physiology Lara was born with if she's actually female in every other way? Would "feminists" (note the quotes!) put a little tick next to her name on their list of female protagonists? What if she were still in her pre-op stage and had male genitalia? What if her peers still thought of her as a man and gave her the alleged privileges males tend to share with each other at the expense of women?

I think these things are a little more complicated than chromosome configuration, dontchoo? Big Grin
09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

(09-11-2013, 01:49 PM)Clord Wrote: I'm a male who prefers female protagonist especially if the game is in third person.

Don't we all.

(09-11-2013, 03:19 PM)droog Wrote: The ads are so well placed and related to the topic haha Big Grin

Spoiler below!
[Image: enme9cr4.jpg]

Haha Big Grin
09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

I found it striking how there were no prominent female characters in the game - then again, there were only 3 voice actors.

I'd enjoy playing a game as a woman, provided she's not an utter psychopath like Justine.
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(09-11-2013, 03:30 PM)Paddy Wrote: Hahaha well, if your knowledge of what women do in moments of terror consists entirely of what you've seen them do in movies from the 1950s, then yes, you're absolutely spot on!

5 minutes on World Star Hip Hop will rid any man of any semblance of superiority over women in terms of physical strength, courage, recklessness or a willingness to jab their elbow into another person's throat 6 or 7 times before an even scarier woman drags her off.

Question: what if during the next Tomb Raider we find out that Lara Croft is actually a male-to-female transgendered person? I mean, in terms of this debate about female protagonists? Will that count? Does it matter what physiology Lara was born with if she's actually female in every other way? Would "feminists" (note the quotes!) put a little tick next to her name on their list of female protagonists? What if she were still in her pre-op stage and had male genitalia? What if her peers still thought of her as a man and gave her the alleged privileges males tend to share with each other at the expense of women?

I think these things are a little more complicated than chromosome configuration, dontchoo? Big Grin

All I can say is, if she turned out to to be a tranny, I'd still think (s-he) was was hot... But yes, I agree. Tongue

(09-11-2013, 03:37 PM)Alardem Wrote: I found it striking how there were no prominent female characters in the game - then again, there were only 3 voice actors.

I'd enjoy playing a game as a woman, provided she's not an utter psychopath like Justine.

That was the best part. o.O

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3

God help us if we ever will come to a point where this poster's opinion will be enforced on us.

OP, if you do not see the flaws of your judgement, it is just beyond ridiculous. I honestly hope you're trolling, because if you don't,....... I feel very sorry for you.
09-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
Solarn Offline

Threads: 3

(09-11-2013, 03:30 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 03:06 PM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: But in all honesty, who gives a damn what gender, race or religion the lead role portrays? In my opinion, it should be a male anyway if the game revolves around horror as we all know woman are more reluctant to be frightened and are weaker than men and these games are based on survival. Not sexism, fact - let the flamewar begin!

Hahaha well, if your knowledge of what women do in moments of terror consists entirely of what you've seen them do in movies from the 1950s, then yes, you're absolutely spot on!

These are actually all very good and interesting and though-provoking questions, marred by your inclusion of quotation marks around "feminist" and the word "alleged" next to privileges.

Male privilege is a real and documented thing and your refusal to look it up does not make it any less so. Feminism is also a real and sadly necessary thing. If you doubt its necessity for even a moment, just read through the large number of frankly appalling responses to this thread, including the one you quoted.
09-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(09-11-2013, 03:49 PM)Solarn Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 03:30 PM)Paddy Wrote:

These are actually all very good and interesting and though-provoking questions, marred by your inclusion of quotation marks around "feminist" and the word "alleged" next to privileges.

Male privilege is a real and documented thing and your refusal to look it up does not make it any less so. Feminism is also a real and sadly necessary thing. If you doubt its necessity for even a moment, just read through the large number of frankly appalling responses to this thread, including the one you quoted.

Nothing can be stated without judgement or ridicule. No matter what the circumstance, everything will. Not a single statement can be made about a single topic without being nitpicked and frowned upon for personal interpretation. Anything can be biased, based on the individuals standards.

-Grind to the Gore-
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-11-2013, 03:49 PM)Solarn Wrote: These are actually all very good and interesting and though-provoking questions, marred by your inclusion of quotation marks around "feminist" and the word "alleged" next to privileges.

Thanks for the nearly kind-ish words!

I put feminism in quotes because I'm differentiating between what I would consider genuine feminists and people who call themselves feminists but who don't seem to be in touch with reality and think men are incessantly plotting their savage rape at the first opportunity. I'm as much a feminist in the true sense as anyone else. In fact, I prefer Madonna's position on the subject: I'm a humanist, gender doesn't come into it. I can't believe I just quoted Madonna, but this is the position you put me in!

With regards to male privilege, you're being extremely condescending to make the assumption that I've never "looked it up", and to even suggest that I "refuse to look it up". You've never met me before, and I've never broached the subject of feminism or male privilege before the post you responded to, so how you can assume any of this is beyond me. Should I take from your statement that if I disagree with you then I clearly haven't done enough reading?

The chauvinistic responses in this thread are ironic. And no, even if they were real these responses wouldn't prove to me that feminism is necessary. Genital mutilation, acid attacks, discrimination in employment, wages, housing, voting, education and individual human rights convince me that feminism is necessary. If you want to combat those issues I'm right behind you. Well, not literally, I don't get out much, but I'm there in spirit! If, on the other hand, you want to claim that the lack of female protagonists in video games is part of a larger sexist conspiracy perpetrated by the illuminati patriarchy then I don't think there's much point in us trying to have a debate because my bus pass to Mars expired last week.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM by Paddy™.)
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Find