Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Definitive date for updated Level Editor / AMFP Assets / .3ds compatibility
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Definitive date for updated Level Editor / AMFP Assets / .3ds compatibility

(09-14-2013, 10:34 AM)Patrik Wrote: DAE and FBX files from 3D Max will be supported. There's still a bit of testing to be done so that we can make sure the new script stuff doesn't mess up old levels/saves, but it really shouldn't be long at all. We know you're waiting. Smile

why not Blender seriously

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(09-14-2013, 12:43 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 10:34 AM)Patrik Wrote: DAE and FBX files from 3D Max will be supported. There's still a bit of testing to be done so that we can make sure the new script stuff doesn't mess up old levels/saves, but it really shouldn't be long at all. We know you're waiting. Smile

why not Blender seriously

Because Blender is barely used in the industry.
09-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

:O I'm dreaming! I will find you and ask you to marry me.

But seriously thank you for sharing the update with the community. Also, what is that blue fog effect in AMFP? It reminds me of some sort of post processing volume, much like in the UDK where different zones fade to different colours.
09-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Find
kojack Offline

Threads: 0

(09-12-2013, 05:58 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: but does anyone have a concrete date on when .3ds files will be compatible with the editor?
.3ds is actually a fairly poor format for games.
It has no vertex colours, no vertex specular colours, no normals (it only exposes smoothing groups), only one material per mesh, 16 bit vertex count and 1 set of 2d texture coordinates. Max has other formats that are better suited.

JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:why not Blender seriously
Blender does have collada export. I haven't tried it with the hpl editor though.
The .blend format is rather complicated. Exporting to an intermediate format like collada is going to be easier.
I only know of one game engine that supports blender files directly: Gamekit. It combines Ogre3D with Bullet and was created by the author of Bullet.

Assimp (open asset import library) comes with a tool that can load many formats (including .blend, .3ds, .dae, .obj, .lwo, and models from various games like quake series, halflife, etc) and convert them to .dae.

(Assimp is also a library. Add it to an engine or editor and it will gain around 41 file formats)
09-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2013, 01:51 PM)kojack Wrote:
JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:why not Blender seriously
Blender does have collada export. I haven't tried it with the hpl editor though.
The .blend format is rather complicated. Exporting to an intermediate format like collada is going to be easier.
I only know of one game engine that supports blender files directly: Gamekit. It combines Ogre3D with Bullet and was created by the author of Bullet.

Assimp (open asset import library) comes with a tool that can load many formats (including .blend, .3ds, .dae, .obj, .lwo, and models from various games like quake series, halflife, etc) and convert them to .dae.

(Assimp is also a library. Add it to an engine or editor and it will gain around 41 file formats)

What no, I'm saying that Blender should be compatible with the HPL Engine. We Blender users can't rig/animate our models because the HPL Engine would freakout like a maniac and crashes.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
09-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Find
Patrik Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 3

(09-14-2013, 12:43 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: why not Blender seriously

I can understand the frustration. The thing is, we're not doing anything new with this update, only porting the AMFP model loading code. If TCR had been using Blender and not 3D Max, then the update would support Blender instead. Undecided
09-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Appreciate the update!

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2013, 03:35 PM)Patrik Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 12:43 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: why not Blender seriously

I can understand the frustration. The thing is, we're not doing anything new with this update, only porting the AMFP model loading code. If TCR had been using Blender and not 3D Max, then the update would support Blender instead. Undecided

Oh. Well, that's reasonable. But I think FG should account the people that uses Blender, even if the amount is so small.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
09-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If they did take a closer look at Blender, I might be actually tempted to seriously consider animating. Rigging is a bit confusing as their are about 40 things that can go wrong and their aren't exactly detailed enough tutorials to account for each one and how to fix. But I'd like to use my basic rigs to do some stupid dances to export into Amnesia.
09-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If FBX is going to be supported, even if 3DSMax was used as a reference, we might be able to do something with Blender's FBX exporter. (If only this was more than wishful thinking!) Hopefully, something useful can be managed.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Website Find