Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Scariest moment? (spoilerific thread)
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Scariest moment? (spoilerific thread)

Descending into the machine after stoking the fires in the engine room and activating the pistons took me a couple tries, just for how petrified I was in the pitch black where a wretch could be stalking anywhere. What made it worse was that I had no idea where to go, so all I could do was slink from behind cover to cover just to get an idea of how the room was laid out. I remember gasping out loud several times during that point in the game.

Props to the devs for making the lantern surprisingly difficult to use; on the one hand, it alerts monsters to where you are, but on the other hand it's sometimes your only indication that they're around.

09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Was sitting next a pal when he was in the church. He crouched the whole time and went into every row of benches. We were constantly waiting for the monster to appear, but it never did.

My scariest moment was the part when you have to pull 2 levers whilst being chased by the teleporting tesla pig. Quite stressful.

But to be honest. I didn't really feel scared at any point. Sure it was unconfortable, but not scary. Not like the first time I played TDD and fear-quitted in the first map when doors blew open.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
09-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

I played TDD on advice of a friend who said you had to hide from monsters. So the anticipation was terrifying me. And then the hint saying "hide from enemies" appeared, and then I saw one in the wine cellar, I was too scared to move on lol. Little did I know that the encounter can't kill you.

But for AAMFP I knew the game mechanics too well and was less scared. I knew no monster would appear in the beginning. I knew they get triggered when stepping at a certain location and I knew when they would or wouldn't and I knew that when one ran past and quickly went away it was just an animation that disappeared and not a lethal enemy that still lurked.
09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Find
grrrz Offline

Threads: 0

I never actually saw the first pig, as soon as I heard the scream and the music banging I fled and left my cannister where it was. Came back when I was sure he left. I'd say the two scariest moments are the part under the curch and the part after you turn on the piston, when you can't see a thing, and your light blinks as soon as you light it, and you can hear and see the beast slowly walking past you. I was never directly attacked during those sequences. Also there are a lot of times when you don't see anything but you're pretty sure there's something (light blinks, music changes), but since it's a tiny corridor the thing can not exist. or can it?
Downside is is missed so much notes because I spent a big part of the game crouching, playing the game a lot I would a stealth game.
09-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

I Nearly Had a heart attack in the Cellar, there was a bordered up door and i removed the wooden barricade and the lantern started tweaking out but i thought nothing of it. opened the fucking door and hello mr.manpig, Scared the shit out of me and i hid under a stair case for a full fucking hour.
Scared out of my mind

The International Narcotics Traffic
09-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

The scariest part of the game for me? I know it, for sure, but I want to list my three scariest moments in the game.
  1. The basement, contains three machines, and two of them with broken fuses. I was tense and scared during the mansion and starting areas, fear of the unknown and feeling something might have been watching me from the silence, so I felt it built up quite well to this here part. When I went up to the machine at the top, I am glad I was already bringing a fuse with me to not have to stick around for even longer. The extreme ruckus and excessive quake made me drop my fuse onto the platform, and I very slowly turned around, observing the ceiling lamps in full swing and as if something collapsed. Then I hear a very vicious pig cry from below, and the most eerie music ever is silently playing in the background, similar to the track played in the first A Machine For Pigs trailer. This was a genuine nightmare moment for me, very similar to how I felt my first playthrough in The Dark Descent. It just felt like something was coming for me, silently closing in toward my location. This is how important I think of monster themes and music to enhance the fear and horror. If more music like this would be used later in the game around these Creatures, I would have become much more horrified and immersed into the situation. I did not see the creature encounter moments later next to the first machine, but I could hear it running out and commented on my Let's Play that I thought it was an ordinary pig running off.
  2. The fueling area. Unlike many players, I could not see anything. All I heard was something coming at full speed, bashing up the door, then really quickly moving toward my location with really swift, four-legged steps. I immediately stopped fueling, froze up for about three seconds, then skipped over through the door, closed both doors and flew out the window. Then I realized I had to get back in there. Not a comfortable moment for the poor Raichu! It was so very tense. And I loved it. Something all of a sudden coming charging toward my location at full speed with really fast steps? You have got some definite freak-Diz-the-fuck-out material right there.
  3. The sewer part. Yep, that be right. By the introduction of the Pikachu Kaernk. When I heard there was a vicious pig creature right around the corner, I was very hesistant in moving on. I was even more hesistant when I felt I needed to move further toward its sounds and ambience while. It nearly shattered my soul at one point when I had to sneak past the noises of what seemed like a sleeping pig monster, I felt it was literally right next to me all the time. The fear of being noticed or chased was so huge at this part, it felt on the edge all the time. It surprised me that in the end, either it was not bothered with me and roamed off in order to get some peace from the disturbance (at several points), or I was extremely lucky, both of which are epic realizations.

If I may also mention a really eerie point in the game, yet perhaps a minor detail, I would like to bring up one of the enframed pictures which stood out to me. The picture of the child and the dog? Amazing. There is so much eerie put into that picture alone, it was part of the reason why I felt scared in the first parts of the game. Just look at it. A child and a dog. Are they perhaps related to Oswald? Because it would make sense that they both were scared of him or sensed evil, in a way, I think? Either way, the point remains what we see in the picture. The child looks frightened and sad, and the dog also looks scared, on the look-out, as if something is right around the corner. It really felt as if they were telling me someone or something dangerous was watching me. Did anyone else feel this? The painting just kept becoming more and more creepy the more I saw of it.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
09-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-16-2013, 10:04 PM)Diz Wrote: Either way, the point remains what we see in the picture. The child looks frightened and sad, and the dog also looks scared, on the look-out, as if something is right around the corner. It really felt as if they were telling me someone or something dangerous was watching me. Did anyone else feel this? The painting just kept becoming more and more creepy the more I saw of it.

My favorite is the lovely woman with the winning grin and her two adorable children.
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Find
Jim Offline

Threads: 3

I'll be honest, every pig encounter scared the bejeezuz out of me. (except for the thunderpig, but that's another thread) This is partially due to the fact that I took every precaution to make sure I WAS scared.

I played in pitch black, and I had my A40s turned way up. AMFP may not be TDD, but the sound design is good and running from things in the dark is still tense in an acute way. (Even if the chronic tension isn't there.) The fact that the pigs managed to beat me within an inch of my life a couple of times without ever killing me helped make it scarier.

Off-topic: Seriously though, if you like horror games and you're not using A40s, you're missing out. Once, I was watching Marble Hornets and someone was knocking on the door in the video, but it didn't show it on screen; so I paused the video and checked my door. I was freaked out for like 30 minutes because I thought there was a crazy guy knocking on my door IRL.

09-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Mandus' home was chilling.

Being forced into the water and having to run from the invisible electro pigs was terrifying.

Thunderpigs were startling events.

Fueling up suuuuucked (scary sucked, not sucked suck).

Turning on the machine and going outside was...a thing.

The disappearing doorways and hallways fucked with me a bit.

And in general the writing and the world was pretty fucked up and disturbing.
09-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Find
WISHBLADE Offline

Threads: 1

(09-17-2013, 03:28 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: Mandus' home was chilling.

Being forced into the water and having to run from the invisible electro pigs was terrifying.

Thunderpigs were startling events.

Fueling up suuuuucked (scary sucked, not sucked suck).

Turning on the machine and going outside was...a thing.

The disappearing doorways and hallways fucked with me a bit.

And in general the writing and the world was pretty fucked up and disturbing.

That's exactly what I thought when I finished the game.
AMFP is a different kind of horror when compared to TDD.
Its scary because they throw you in a pretty sick and twisted world. It's so twisted that you don't even know what the real meaning of things is, but once you start paying attention to the details, you start to feel the dread. I remember by the time I reached the engine room where you start the machine, I was pretty anxious, because I was starting to realize what was really going on. I knew the kids were dead already, but I never imagined how sick Mandus was, trying to piece his children together after killing them using other people. Then when I turned the engines on and ascended to the streets of London, I wasn't even scared anymore. That scene left a strong impression on me, and I can't shake it off completely even though its been 3 days since I beat the game.

Scary game? maybe not so much...
Sick, mindblowing, ironic, and deceptive? I think that's pretty much it.
09-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Find