Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RPS on Machine for Pigs
jd1802 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: RPS on Machine for Pigs

(09-21-2013, 07:40 AM)Alardem Wrote: Getting trailers and interviews where the developers promise a horror game, and getting one? Not the same thing at all.

Dude there are different kinds of horror. They promised survival horror and I got psychological horror. For me thats a big deal and a huge mistake. I love psychological horror and thats what I did like part of the game but still I was expecting survival horror so there was a little dissapointment that ruined my experience with this game. Its like going to watch a slasher film and having only two bloody scenes in the whole movie. Thats how this game felt for me. I was expecting fear, crying and screaming and I didnt got any of that. Does that makes it a bad game? Of course not. It just makes it a game that was sold the wrong way
09-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-21-2013, 07:51 AM)jd1802 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 07:40 AM)Alardem Wrote: Getting trailers and interviews where the developers promise a horror game, and getting one? Not the same thing at all.

Dude there are different kinds of horror. They promised survival horror and I got psychological horror. For me thats a big deal and a huge mistake. I love psychological horror and thats what I did like part of the game but still I was expecting survival horror so there was a little dissapointment that ruined my experience with this game. Its like going to watch a slasher film and having only two bloody scenes in the whole movie. Thats how this game felt for me. I was expecting fear, crying and screaming and I didnt got any of that. Does that makes it a bad game? Of course not. It just makes it a game that was sold the wrong way

No, they promised psychological horror. Can't dig up previews right now (damn Google), but the developers did say that they were downplaying the survival elements -limited light resources and sanity management - in favor of a different experience. Seriously, if you've been following the game's marketing and the few scant tidbits released about it (poems, interviews, and two vague videos), the final product shouldn't have been a surprise.

I myself had been expecting something much more bloody and vicious - Quake 4's Human-Processing Facility on steroids - because of the concept art, but in the end we did get a story full of depravity, grime and plenty of blood. If you were expecting a shallow experience about reveling in guts and cheap thrills, I'm sorry but Amnesia and Penumbra have ALWAYS been surprisingly restrained with gore, considering their settings. You might like Outlast and its comical overuse of gore, though. :p
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM by Alardem.)
09-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 07:59 AM)Alardem Wrote: No, they promised psychological horror.

''Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is survival–horror at its most unsettling; helpless and alone, no weapons to soothe your nerves, and the dim light of your lantern to offer any comfort.'' This is what it says on Frictional Games website n_n

And hey, not everyone has been reading and watching all previous and poems about this game and reading all interviews you know? Some people just were just trying to avoid all kinds of spoilers and then BAM! maybe a few minor spoilers could have made my expectations a little bit closer to the actual product but oh well... my bad
09-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:08 AM)jd1802 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 07:59 AM)Alardem Wrote: No, they promised psychological horror.

''Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is survival–horror at its most unsettling; helpless and alone, no weapons to soothe your nerves, and the dim light of your lantern to offer any comfort.'' This is what it says on Frictional Games website n_n

And hey, not everyone has been reading and watching all previous and poems about this game and reading all interviews you know? Some people just were just trying to avoid all kinds of spoilers and then BAM! maybe a few minor spoilers could have made my expectations a little bit closer to the actual product but oh well... my bad

So you're talking about people who've played the first game yet only watched the trailers? How about the people who're going blind?
09-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:09 AM)Alardem Wrote: So you're talking about people who've played the first game yet only watched the trailers? How about the people who're going blind?

Im talking about people like me who loved the first game, who loved Justine but who, trying to know as less as possible, saw only the trailers to kind of know how the game was going to look like. And now I realize that yeah, they did said that it was going to be more psychological but like I said, that was my mistake, no need to argue about it.
09-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:20 AM)jd1802 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:09 AM)Alardem Wrote: So you're talking about people who've played the first game yet only watched the trailers? How about the people who're going blind?

Im talking about people like me who loved the first game, who loved Justine but who, trying to know as less as possible, saw only the trailers to kind of know how the game was going to look like. And now I realize that yeah, they did said that it was going to be more psychological but like I said, that was my mistake, no need to argue about it.

This game was originally going to be an experiment on the scale of Justine, which makes me wonder if the omissions would have been better received. Justine removed the lantern, rendered the sanity mechanic useless, and toyed with the idea of permanent death. AMFP's use of infinite light, no night-vision and removal of the inventory and health resources are things that maybe would have received less of a FAN backlash had the game been much shorter.

But then again, I prefer it in its current state. The game's still short, but paced well enough so that it doesn't overstay its welcome or feel like it was rushed.
09-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Find
jd1802 Offline

(09-21-2013, 08:27 AM)Alardem Wrote: This game was originally going to be an experiment on the scale of Justine, which makes me wonder if the omissions would have been better received. Justine removed the lantern, rendered the sanity mechanic useless, and toyed with the idea of permanent death. AMFP's use of infinite light, no night-vision and removal of the inventory and health resources are things that maybe would have received less of a FAN backlash had the game been much shorter.

Yep, I agree with this. AMFP is good as it is right now but I think those fans who are hating it would think kind of differently if it was just a short experiment. And hey, all the deep story could stay just like that cause Justine is my favorite Amnesia just because of that, the story. It is so disturbing but absolutely well written that it surprised me and disgusted me in a way that I loved a lot.
09-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-21-2013, 07:40 AM)Alardem Wrote: Literally all the trailers show you is that you'll be wandering around dark industrial environments and hiding from pig monsters. TCR's comments on decreasing the 'survival-horror' aspects in favor of psychological elements should also have been a clue. Also keep in mind that there are many players for whom this game is their first experience with the series (if not horror games themselves), and they would have no thoughts about omissions that would prevent them from enjoying the game.

False advertising would be something like Dead Island's hilariously transparent bait-or-switch. Or being promised Doom and getting My Little Pony: Friendly Pony Simulator. Getting trailers and interviews where the developers promise a horror game, and getting one? Not the same thing at all.

So much truth.

I was excited when I saw that trailer. A zombie game with heart and feels? And then more info came out of the woodworks and it turned out to be a shallow, clunky, annoyingly buggy shell of a game.
09-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Find