Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Concept Art
JaYdogg Offline

Threads: 2
Concept Art

Hi just wanting to ask a few questions about concept art,
if you studied art or did it as a hobby please if you have the time answer these. Thanks

1. When did you start drawing either concept art or just art ?

2. What made you want to do art/concept art? (Any Inspirations)

3. If there was any inspirations then who/what was they?

4. What is your preferred drawing style? (Realism/Manga ect.... )

5. Finaly if you had a chance to work doing concept at any company where would it be and why
10-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Concept Art

To be honest, I don't make concept arts at all, I just make the 3D model directly with references.

But, well:

1:

I'm starting to draw stuff. I'm horrible at it, but I'm a lot better at making 3D stuff.

2:

Basically, I began to do it to get ideas and to get refences. My inspirations are the games I have played, many horror and sci-fi films, etc. I especially liked the film "9".

3: Frictional Games pushed the creative modder inside of me, so I guess a lot of the things I have learnt have been for them *hugs mentally Jens, Thomas, and all the crew*

4: I like something fantastic/unreal, but that doesn't go away from reality at the same time (I try to find a balance so the horror things are more terrifying)

5:

I would LOVE to participate partially with FG in a future. Although I want to be a genetist, I would like to contribute to their cause sometimes.

And that's it Big Grin

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I used to draw a lot, especially miniature war drawings, later non war miniature drawings and then a variety of gengres. Now when I am into 3D I dont draw so much.
10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

1. I probably started drawing when I was about 12 or 13. I've actually found some old drawings that are decent for my age at the time.

2. I wanted to do art because I've always had images and ideas in my head that I wanted to get onto paper. Weather or not they were good or not, I just wanted them drawn before I would forget or lose interest. I really only did concept art out of necessity, given the fact that I've been working on an animation project and I needed something to go by.

3. I don't usually get inspired by other peoples work, but rather what I see or feel about a situation or place. I'll often get more inspired by songs, then anything else.

4. Charcoal, or plain pencil. I can shade fairly well.

5. Frictional Games.

I've never particularly studied "art" as a class or profession, as I often see that art can be something as simple as an idea. While I do prefer to write and create films, Art would easily be another possible option for me.

Sorry I stretched out my answers longer than they need to be, I'll often act self-proclaimed when it comes to something that I truly enjoy Big Grin
10-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Website Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

I've been drawing since I was in first grade. Mostly animals.

There were times in my life where art was all I had. I'd have these fantastic images in my head and and I wanted to translate them onto whatever medium would suit it best. Art...has pretty much always been there as a part of me.

My first hit of inspiration came courtesy of Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim/Johnny the Homicidal Maniac/I Feel Sick).
The Legacy of Kain series soon followed that. After that I forgot how much art meant to me and began to brush it off as silliness, especially after having a long term boyfriend of mine discourage it to the point where I stopped drawing pretty much altogether.
Then I found the Amnesia:The Dark Descent and my creative flame was lit anew. It's been...two years I think? AMFP fed even more into it and I'm looking at going back to school for graphic design (warm fuzzies for Frictional and Chinese Room)! I need to get around to playing Penumbra and Dear Esther...

My style tends to be pretty whimsical and romantic in some aspects. I love pretty much all mediums.

5. Finaly if you had a chance to work doing concept at any company where would it be and why.

Frictional or The Chinese Room for reasons I already stated. But with my current level of ability, I don't know how I'd feel about it until I got better. lol

Edit: I can't English today.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 03:56 AM by VaeVictis.)
10-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Yay! A questionnaire I can answer!

I included a TL;DR for each of the answers longer than 1 or 2 sentences (or that go into extra detail).

I started actually trying to draw art 'seriously' when I was 12. Didn't actually become any good at it until around age 14 (I'm going to totally regret posting this link, but the one on the left was done around age 13, the one on the right was done at age 16 - I'm proud of the one on the right still... don't mention the one on the left, okay - look though, I've improved).
    TL;DR 12, got decent enough to say I was doing art by 14/15-ish

I think I always loved drawing, but I used to want to become an artist for Disney or Pixar, so I figured I better get practicing!
    TL;DR: I had a thing for cartoons

My friends, most of them are really phenomenal artists and I was slightly jealous c: My grandmother's a really great artist too - she used to draw with me all the time when we'd visit.
    TL;DR: Family and friends

Started off as Cartoon (think Lion King), then transitioned to Manga (I call this the Dark Age of my art because it was just awful), and now I'm full-on realism :D
    TL;DR: Realism

5. Finally if you had a chance to work doing concept at any company where would it be and why
    Oh, jeeze, uhm, uhm, I don't think I'm really worthy of working with concept art for a company, but I think I would prefer just going freelancing because it provides a wider range of styles and themes.
    TL;DR: Freelancer because choices

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 06:15 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
10-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

Ever since I could remember. You know how all kids draw, but some stop? I didn't stop. My mother still has my old "fan art" that I drew as a kid. I'd watch cartoons, then leave to my room and draw the characters I just saw.

Making up characters was a thing I had since childhood. I was in my teens when I discovered that there is actually a profession that consisted of just drawing stuff. I kinda became my dream job.

I watched a documentary called "Creatures of Star Wars" (or somth like that) and decided that this is what I want to be able to do one day. It also me made a huge SW fan.

Preffered one is realistic-ish, But I try to practice different styles. Except manga.

5. Finaly if you had a chance to work doing concept at any company where would it be and why
Oh my god, Pixar, Lucasfilm, take me, I'm yours. I'm into game development lately. I'd love to do stuff for games...
10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Find
JaYdogg Offline

Threads: 2

Thanks to everyone who replied back its helped alot Big Grin
10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41