Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What hides between Shadow and Light?
kenji.nanashi Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What hides between Shadow and Light?

I noticed that if you submit "fibonacci" you get a different message:

The moon casts a dark shadow upon the earth

Uh... No, I better not make another attempt until the light embraces me

dunno how that's supposed to work, though....
12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

(12-13-2008, 12:37 AM)kenji.nanashi Wrote: I noticed that if you submit "fibonacci" you get a different message:

is this for the first or second section of letters?

Not an image
12-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Find
kenji.nanashi Offline

I was just trying random words in the submit box, and when I input fibonacci, that's what came up..

Also, "Silently evil emerged darkness", take the initials, it spells SEED... might not mean a thing, I'm quite confused as of now...
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

hey man, nice going! i thought fibonacci was a clue, not a key. (Dohhh)

Not an image
12-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Find
dreadi Offline

(12-13-2008, 12:37 AM)kenji.nanashi Wrote: I noticed that if you submit "fibonacci" you get a different message:

Nope. You can get that message with any random word.

This is one cryptic puzzle though. I can't seem to be getting anywhere with it. Too many seemingly unrelated parts to it.
12-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Find
Krzysiek K.
Unregistered

Quote:Too many seemingly unrelated parts to it.
Well, putting it all together, it makes some sense:

Quote:These hole digging critters have a population that increase rapidly.
There must be some way to track this development and make the infestation come to an end.
Being programmer myself, I guess they just refer to bugs in the code (in case you didn't know: in programmer slang we call errors in code "bugs"). Their population usually does increase rapidly and the infestation should come to an end before product is released. Wink

Quote:T -> B
C -> C
Q -> H
Probably a hint for some letters of substitution cipher. I guess the text may be encoded with more than one method (you take text, pass it through one cipher, than pass the result through another, etc).

Quote:Also, "Silently evil emerged darkness", take the initials, it spells SEED... might not mean a thing, I'm quite confused as of now...
I think that's quite a good guess, considering the numbers follow right after this. Again, "seed" in programmer slang is used to refer to initial setting of some random number generating machine - you put some numbers to the algorithm and it can generate infinite sequence of numbers from it, which you can use for example in one-time pad cipher method.

SEED is also a name for Korean cipher algorithm, but for its complexity I doubt it was used here.

Anyway, has anybody tried to google for "Fibonacci cryptography" yet? Wink
Still, I've got no idea on how to break this code so far.
12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(12-14-2008, 02:31 PM)Krzysiek K. Wrote: Being programmer myself, I guess they just refer to bugs in the code (in case you didn't know: in programmer slang we call errors in code "bugs"). Their population usually does increase rapidly and the infestation should come to an end before product is released. Wink

The "hole digging creatures" refers to the hole digging creatures in the games most likely, the rock worms that is. Referencing bugs in a teasing puzzle would be handing themselves their heads on a silver plate.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
12-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Find
Krzysiek K.
Unregistered

Quote:The "hole digging creatures" refers to the hole digging creatures in the games most likely, the rock worms that is.
Considering that the new game will be most likely in entirely new setting and separate from Penumbra series, I wouldn't expect rock worms there, nor in any puzzle about the game. Also I don't see any problem with referencing bugs, as bugs are natural during development of every appliaction and they are going to stop the infestation. Smile
12-14-2008, 11:13 PM
dreadi Offline

(12-14-2008, 11:13 PM)Krzysiek K. Wrote:
Quote:The "hole digging creatures" refers to the hole digging creatures in the games most likely, the rock worms that is.
Considering that the new game will be most likely in entirely new setting and separate from Penumbra series, I wouldn't expect rock worms there, nor in any puzzle about the game. Also I don't see any problem with referencing bugs, as bugs are natural during development of every appliaction and they are going to stop the infestation. Smile

Since it seems I would have to study cryptology in order to solve that puzzle it could very well be meant for the more adept people in computer science rather than for the average retarded gamer. Still it's a bit over the top for a gamesite teaser in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM by thoughts.)
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(12-14-2008, 11:13 PM)Krzysiek K. Wrote:

Hole digging hardly is a common way to reference bugs in any matter. Referencing code bugs when you want to get players anxious for your next game isn't a very good strategy either. It's like saying "Hey, our new game has lots of bugs that we'll try to fix" instead of "Our game will contain mysterious hole digging monsters, buy it!".

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Find