Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What hides between Shadow and Light?
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: What hides between Shadow and Light?

Errr, ked. You're pretty off there.

Modern games that have no storyline often do very poorly. Give me a name of a modern game (not developed by amateurs) that does not have a story of some kind.

Yes, story isnt' everything. But neither is gameplay, controls, graphics, or sound. None of those can make a game on it's own.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

(05-08-2009, 12:54 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(05-08-2009, 10:35 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: People are born stupid, they love their Halo, FEAR and all the other games that use the simple storyboard of... BANG! BANG! RUN LIKE F**K!

Story isn't everything in a game. In fact story is nothing in video games. Lots of games have been very successful without having a storyline at all. Video games are about entertainment so what really matters is gameplay and controls, then comes graphics and sound. An interesting or inspirational presentation is also very important.
And if you don't understand the rather long story of Halo, that's your problem. I think the series have got a great story although it war poorly presented in the chapter Cortana and onwards.

Don't get me wrong, i think Halo is great, but i'm using it as an example of a intense shooter( e.g. no puzzles, just shooting.) ANd a good game is a combination of gameplay, controls environment, graphics, story etc. But in penumbra, story and puzzles reign supreme, which is why its my favourite game.
And i must disagree "story is nothing in video game," i would be happy if the graphics were Doom 95 quality, and had a brilliant storyline. Besides, how many games do you know without a story? (besides steam and arcade style games.) Not many, because they do pretty poorly in the modern world.

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2009, 11:01 AM by ARes88.)
05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(05-08-2009, 09:25 PM)WindexGlow Wrote: Errr, ked. You're pretty off there.

Modern games that have no storyline often do very poorly. Give me a name of a modern game (not developed by amateurs) that does not have a story of some kind.

Yes, story isnt' everything. But neither is gameplay, controls, graphics, or sound. None of those can make a game on it's own.

Most games today have a storyline, but it's not neccessary. For example racing games rarely have any story to follow at all while many action, fighting and such games only have a short briefing telling you to go from A to B and no more than that.
Mainly old games are brilliant without a story and only without a story will a game ever offer perfect freedom. Daggerfall does have a "main story", but if you simply ignore talking to the first quest person and go about doing just random quests, dungeon crawling and all such you have a game just as good. Storyline simply is one of the less neccessary elements in a videogame.

(05-09-2009, 10:59 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: And i must disagree "story is nothing in video game," i would be happy if the graphics were Doom 95 quality, and had a brilliant storyline.

And I enjoy Doom 95 without a storyline.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Haha, ok Ked, we obviously have different tastes in games, no point arguing... But before i go.. i have a quote from a storyless game....

HADOUKEN!

Not an image
05-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

I guess, when it comes to plot lines and games, it all just depends on the type of game, and your own personal tastes. I personally like BOTH plot-filled games, and plot less games, depending on how well each is done. In a game with a plot, gameplay has its importance, but unless it can't convince me with the plot it'll just be "meh" and I won't play it again probably. Penumbra DOES convince me, and is an excellent game--the gameplay is done well enough to make me enjoy solving the puzzles and navigating the facility, and the plot is done well enough to make me sit at the edge of my seat practically the whole time.

But, like I said, I can enjoy a good plot-less game too. I've always been a fan of Unreal Tournament, despite it just being a straight shootin' game. Why do I like it? Because you get what you pay for--a straight-shootin' game with no plot. If I have a bad day, all I have to do is get a couple rounds of fragging in and I'm happy again. Gameplay is the focus, and that's why I enjoy the game (IMHO)--because it's fun, fast, and frenetic.

That said, I hate games that TRY to have a plot of some kind (but you know, didn't actually take the effort to make one), and end up failing miserably because they didn't focus enough on the gameplay either. "The Suffering" comes to mind.

To summarize everything I've just said: A game that TRIES to have a plot--but really doesn't--sucks. If it actually has a plot, or is completely plot-less, then there's a chance I'll enjoy it. It doesn't necessarily need a plot to be good (IMHO), but if it wants to have a plot, it can't go halfway.

05-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Find
Calmflow Offline

Threads: 0

KOTOR II, half a plot. Big Grin:

Anyone figured out anything else in the puzzle?

Are there any specific animals mentioned in Penumbra that could be the hole digging creatures?
05-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(05-18-2009, 04:44 AM)Calmflow Wrote: KOTOR II, half a plot. Big Grin:

Are there any specific animals mentioned in Penumbra that could be the hole digging creatures?

Rock worms, rats, people.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
05-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

(05-18-2009, 04:21 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(05-18-2009, 04:44 AM)Calmflow Wrote: KOTOR II, half a plot. Big Grin:

Rock worms, rats, people.

Don't forget the Frisk monster! He hid in holes that he dug if I remember correctly.
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Find
Calmflow Offline

Threads: 0

Is it affected by Eclipses? Does Penumbra mention eclipses?

I'm probably way off base with this train of thought but i guess it's worth a try.
05-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(05-19-2009, 03:30 AM)Calmflow Wrote: Is it affected by Eclipses? Does Penumbra mention eclipses?

I'm probably way off base with this train of thought but i guess it's worth a try.

Actually, just a while ago it was revealed Penumbra referred to "a place where noone is good nor evil" rather than some sort of alternative universe or whatever we had thought before. The storywriter said it, so I guess it's correct.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
05-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Find