Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Critcisim
Levardos Offline

Threads: 4
Critcisim

Why not criticising a bit creators of Penumbra? Big Grin It sure is amazing game, but there are always things that could be done better. Lets talk about it here. And since there isnt a place for both Black plague and Overture... Lets talk about both here.

What I didnt liked in penumbra?
-Overture... I played it only a bit but I dont like the idea of possibility of killing monsters by hamer, and so on.

-All of penumbra parts... Why you never meet anyone, in person? You only hear people. Is it jut for game to seem scarier, or programists werent good enough to make NPCs? No offence towards people that created penumbra, but... It kinda sucks, you know... I was so hoping to meet Red in Requiem... And really, you were able to make models of humans (Howard, Anabel, other random corpses), you were able to create infected ones... So werent you able to create npcs at all? Or as I said, its all for game to seem scarier?

-Storyline. I love it, I love Red, Anabel, Eloff, Howard, and anyone, really... But with Philip losing his sanity... With ending of requiem, especially alternate ending... I really wonder if YOU guys know whats going on. I wonder if you guys know all about Tom Redwood... Sometimes I think that even though you created him, you didn't really thought of every aspect of his personality etc.

-The bug with standing on item, holding it and jumping- that lets you fly. That should be predicted...

Well, for now, thats all I can think of. I hope my thoughts will help you a tiny bit with new games you will be making.
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Critcisim

RED DIDN'T DIE?!?!?!?!?!

-Overture
I liked the alone and scary feeling but the dogs got boring after a while Smile the part that scared me is that guy in a locked room and you get the ladder in that spider thing then you hear him screaming.
plus the ending was great!

The bad parts- well it really wasn't that scary after a while,
because its just the same and its not going to change lol.

-Black Plauge (I think thats how you spell it)
I liked this one better then overture because of the infected Smile
I loved the puzzles better because its just well... More funner Tongue
but the bad part its too damn easy!

-requiem
Well I haven't got this game yet Smile
when you said I wish I met red you should of made a spoiler Smile
10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Find
Levardos Offline

Threads: 4

roadkiller Wrote:RED DIDN'T DIE?!?!?!?!?!

-Overture
I liked the alone and scary feeling but the dogs got boring after a while Smile the part that scared me is that guy in a locked room and you get the ladder in that spider thing then you hear him screaming.
plus the ending was great!

The bad parts- well it really wasn't that scary after a while,
because its just the same and its not going to change lol.

-Black Plauge (I think thats how you spell it)
I liked this one better then overture because of the infected Smile
I loved the puzzles better because its just well... More funner Tongue
but the bad part its too damn easy!

-requiem
Well I haven't got this game yet Smile
when you said I wish I met red you should of made a spoiler Smile

Sorry man about not making a spoiler, but I am new and I dont really knwo how to... Anyway, you will "sorta" meet him, just... Well, you will see.
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

Haha, no problem man I don't really care because im not gonna get it.
I wouldn't mind hearing about you sorta meet red thing now Smile
10-17-2008, 05:42 AM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

I also swear I tortured him... Who wants cooked Red?
10-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Find
Pehmu Offline

Threads: 1

Levardos Wrote:-All of penumbra parts... Why you never meet anyone, in person? You only hear people. Is it jut for game to seem scarier, or programists werent good enough to make NPCs? No offence towards people that created penumbra, but... It kinda sucks, you know... I was so hoping to meet Red in Requiem... And really, you were able to make models of humans (Howard, Anabel, other random corpses), you were able to create infected ones... So werent you able to create npcs at all? Or as I said, its all for game to seem scarier?

Of course it's a lot scarier when there are no NPCs around. At least the first game, Overture (haven't finished Black Plague yet) had this awesome feeling of isolation and loneliness.
10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

I dunno, I will admit I was disappointed when you didn't actually meet Red or Amabel, but in the end I thought it actually worked out pretty good, considering the budget Frictional had was probably pretty low. It's a potential spoiler what I'm gonna write next, so I'm gonna tag it.

Spoiler below!
At least the Frictional people actually let you know there were survivors anyway, even if you didn't meet them face-to-face, which helped to motivate you to find the answers to your questions. Because of this fact, I think it was much easier to lead you into a false sense of security--just think of the research room. Amabel was in there, telling you about how she was the only one in there, and that you'd get a really big hug if you got her out. When you actually GOT in there, though, expecting to see and talk to Amabel in this long, drawn-out cutscene which tells you EVERYTHING you want to know, you get a delusion brought about by Clarence, which forces you to kill Amabel. Which keeps the mystery alive. Of course, there are other examples of this throughout the game, but I need not mention every one. And I dunno about you, but I think one of the best things about this game is fact that you won't entirely understand what the hell is going on. I haven't played Requiem yet, but I hope they haven't changed that too much.

So that's why I think it's good that Frictional didn't make any physical NPCs. Small budget or not, it's the only way it would've worked.

10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Find