Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What is Amnesia: The Dark Descent
agent 47 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What is Unknown/Lux Tenebras

Yeah thats true. it also makes it better when the monsters are sometimes fast/mean/angry/scary looking.
04-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

I've personally been waiting for a game where every enemy has it's own model, save for people with masks and such, but I don't think any game (in the action genres) has even come close to it yet. Would be nice with all unique enemies, would set a good example for other developers and hopefully catch on.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Except it would be a massive waste of time to do so :p Animating and skinning take quite a while.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Find
agent 47 Offline

Threads: 0

party pooper
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Well, I know you often get a wide variety of characters in games like Unreal Tournament (although with some of them, it's the same model with just a modified texture), albeit still distant from 97 characters overall.

But that's not including the fan-made content for the game. If you were to look up homemade character models for Unreal, I'd bet you'd be able to find several hundred character models waiting to be downloaded. Although I obviously don't know exact numbers, it'd definitely surpass the 97 mark.

What am I getting at? What if--hypothetically of course--FG were to set up a contest involving the entire online community in making character models for the game? You get the whole community to make models/textures/animations/whatever FOR THE GAME before it gets released, and are then added. Wouldn't that, hypothetically be cool?

Now, before I get shot-down by those with more technical experience than me and all that--lemme just say...I understand how difficult something like this would be to coordinate. There would have to be a lot of pre-planning on FG's part, more planning than they can afford to do, at any rate. Not to mention getting the whole mish-mash of character models INTO the game and all that--there's bound to be a ridiculous variety of models, each modeler having his own style, and I'm sure Tom and Jens would be pulling their hair out trying to make each model actually fit into their game. I know it just wouldn't work as well as I would like it to.

But still...it's not a bad idea, hm? Kedjane and the rest of us would get the variety we so often desire, and the entire online community would have a chance to shape the game in development. If properly coordinated, it could be done. It'd just be a complete pain in the butt.

But I'm afraid I've gone off-topic so lemme try and segway this puppy:

I'm eagerly awaiting Lux Tenebras: It looks fairly awesome, from the footage I've seen, and I hope, whether they have a massive variety or not, the models are scary enough to frighten the very snot out of me. Don't go for quantity FG--go for quality!

05-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(05-02-2009, 05:36 AM)graykin Wrote: Well, I know you often get a wide variety of characters in games like Unreal Tournament (although with some of them, it's the same model with just a modified texture), albeit still distant from 97 characters overall.

But that's not including the fan-made content for the game. If you were to look up homemade character models for Unreal, I'd bet you'd be able to find several hundred character models waiting to be downloaded. Although I obviously don't know exact numbers, it'd definitely surpass the 97 mark.

What am I getting at? What if--hypothetically of course--FG were to set up a contest involving the entire online community in making character models for the game? You get the whole community to make models/textures/animations/whatever FOR THE GAME before it gets released, and are then added. Wouldn't that, hypothetically be cool?

Now, before I get shot-down by those with more technical experience than me and all that--lemme just say...I understand how difficult something like this would be to coordinate. There would have to be a lot of pre-planning on FG's part, more planning than they can afford to do, at any rate. Not to mention getting the whole mish-mash of character models INTO the game and all that--there's bound to be a ridiculous variety of models, each modeler having his own style, and I'm sure Tom and Jens would be pulling their hair out trying to make each model actually fit into their game. I know it just wouldn't work as well as I would like it to.

But still...it's not a bad idea, hm? Kedjane and the rest of us would get the variety we so often desire, and the entire online community would have a chance to shape the game in development. If properly coordinated, it could be done. It'd just be a complete pain in the butt.

But I'm afraid I've gone off-topic so lemme try and segway this puppy:

I'm eagerly awaiting Lux Tenebras: It looks fairly awesome, from the footage I've seen, and I hope, whether they have a massive variety or not, the models are scary enough to frighten the very snot out of me. Don't go for quantity FG--go for quality!

If only it was advertised right in the right places a modelling contest could work - only then the developers would have to show the modellers what they want the models to look like = they would have to spoil the game.
It would be a good idea for some game where models don't exactly spoil events, a game not based on mystery and such. Online RPGs which haven't already got pretty varied character customisation could benefit a lot from adding the players best models into the game.
That upcoming game "Secret World" will probably do something similar as all characters will be able to use all appearances/clothing (at least that's what they say now). Allowing fans to add own appearances or at least mail in design ideas would keep the crowds happy and playing.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I read from YouTube on one of the videos related to Penumbra: Black Plague, that someone said that it would be cool that if you could rip off the locker doors and throw them.
So, I thought that it actually is good idea if you could, somehow, rip off doors and that kind of stuff and start to throw them.

06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Website Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

(06-08-2009, 08:12 PM)Scraper Wrote: I read from YouTube on one of the videos related to Penumbra: Black Plague, that someone said that it would be cool that if you could rip off the locker doors and throw them.
So, I thought that it actually is good idea if you could, somehow, rip off doors and that kind of stuff and start to throw them.

That'd be kind cool, but even a relatively rusted locker door would probably be tough to rip off in real life...especially considering Philip is just a skinny Physics professor. Maybe if you beat the doors off with the hammer/pickaxe/rock or something like that...but I guess if you had a rock to throw, you wouldn't bother throwing it at a locker door. Wink:

But it would be kinda cool if they implemented something like that for improvised weapons.

06-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Improvised weapon system was done amzingly in 'condemned,' you could just tear out a 2 by 4 from a building or grab a pipe from a derelict apartment wall. A system something like that in Unknown would be great.

Not an image
06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(06-09-2009, 06:10 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: Improvised weapon system was done amzingly in 'condemned,' you could just tear out a 2 by 4 from a building or grab a pipe from a derelict apartment wall. A system something like that in Unknown would be great.

However, I would find it nice if it doesn't pull an Overture. I'm not talking about swinging your mouse but how you could kill an enemy and it would never be replaced or reappear. With all the backtracking it would be nice if there were enemies you couldn't kill or some amount reinforcements for those you could.

(also Condemned sucked otherwise, but it was pretty scary at times)
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Website Find