Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Amnesia: Sanctum Escaping (Video Trailer, Info and Requests) Testers Please!
Kixz0 Offline

Threads: 3
Video  Amnesia: Sanctum Escaping (Video Trailer, Info and Requests) Testers Please!

Hello there!

Me and my friend has finally finished our first Custom Story ever. It's a school project we've been working on for a couple of months now and we have really worked hard on this. Especially when it comes to the environment/scripting part(s).

Here's a Video Trailer (1min 20sec long) of our Custom Story.

We would like to know if there's any volunteers to test our map for bugs and maybe give us some advice on improvements before we officially release it here and on ModDB.

The story is a basic story when it's about escaping from a place where you have woken up.
Also, there's some jumpscares, and some scares which is not 100% relevant to the story/environment.
But this is our first CS and we wanted to try different things/scares out just to test it and to see how we can experiment with different functions.
There's some different custom sounds used at least!

So if there's any volunteers out there who wants to try it out, feel free to comment what you think! Also, feel free to comment something about the video trailer!

Download link: [url]https://www.mediafire.com/?fe0ycq2jmdd5yhn[/url]
Installation: Just put in your Custom Stories and you should be good to go.

Sincerely.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 09:51 PM by Kixz0.)
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32
RE: Amnesia: Sanctum Escaping (Video Trailer, Info and Requests) Testers Please!

Please stop.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: Amnesia: Sanctum Escaping (Video Trailer, Info and Requests) Testers Please!

i read Scrotum Escape.... LOL!!! my mind sometime... Wink
I'm too bust these last days.
Might have some time this week.
I'll give it a try then and post what i think here.
And write the things that are wrong \ errors \ bugs \ etc...
Might back later here this week.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2014, 12:25 AM by DnALANGE.)
02-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Find
Kixz0 Offline

Threads: 3

(02-02-2014, 10:25 PM)Mine Turtle Wrote: Please stop.

Could you be more specific?

(02-03-2014, 12:24 AM)DnALANGE Wrote: i read Scrotum Escape.... LOL!!! my mind sometime... ;)
I'm too bust these last days.
Might have some time this week.
I'll give it a try then and post what i think here.
And write the things that are wrong \ errors \ bugs \ etc...
Might back later here this week.

Haha right, scrotum... Well that sounds good bro! :)
02-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(02-03-2014, 08:00 AM)Kixz0 Wrote:

The storyline you are using is nothing short of banal. Most of us here have been modding A:TDD since it's release, and I alone can't count the amount of mods that use the same old "You wake up in an unknown place, and you somehow realise that you need to get out alive because of evil things!!!" storyline. This is why I asked you and your friend to please stop modding Amnesia if this is the only storyline you're capable of producing.

You have my blessing to mod A:TDD If you're capable of producing a custom story without:

1) Jumpscares
2) A banal storyline like the one you've presented
3) Half-assed mapping

Without these criteria, and other criteria which I cannot put my finger on at the moment, the forum will either:

A) Tear your custom story apart, making you very upset and defensive of your work.

or B) Tear your custom story apart, making you very upset and defensive of your work, and scare you away from the modding aspect of games.

You may think your storyline is very clever and nifty, but its really not, and i advise you to read up on either some creepypasta or some of the SCP entries for inspiration for your story.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

(02-05-2014, 09:57 AM)Mine Turtle Wrote:

The storyline you are using is nothing short of banal. Most of us here have been modding A:TDD since it's release, and I alone can't count the amount of mods that use the same old "You wake up in an unknown place, and you somehow realise that you need to get out alive because of evil things!!!" storyline. This is why I asked you and your friend to please stop modding Amnesia if this is the only storyline you're capable of producing.

You have my blessing to mod A:TDD If you're capable of producing a custom story without:

1) Jumpscares
3) Half-assed mapping

Without these criteria, and other criteria which I cannot put my finger on at the moment, the forum will either:

A) Tear your custom story apart, making you very upset and defensive of your work.

or B) Tear your custom story apart, making you very upset and defensive of your work, and scare you away from the modding aspect of games.

You may think your storyline is very clever and nifty, but its really not, and i advise you to read up on either some creepypasta or some of the SCP entries for inspiration for your story.

I think you are wrong. Our first attempts at modding have always been terrible. This mod doesn't look good, it's true. But why the hell would we ask them to stop ?

Just go on, do the best you can and we'll give it a look and contructive feedback. Everyone does mistakes at first, that's how it works for everything.

I am sure that after 3 years of Amnesia modding, Mine Turtle has became a real god of mapping and modding, but that's not the situation for every single one of us. I started 6 months ago and if I learnt some stuff it's because there has never been anyone to tell me "umg its bad pls stop".

Anyway I think the best way to learn is through trial and error.
Don't let anyone shit on your efforts : ). Yes it's not amazing for now, but guess what this is a community that is made to help each other out.

Just keep working on your mod, and at least I will try to give advice ^^.
I might not know shit about the game compared to Turtle and I only have one small mod released, but I want people to improve.
And please don't stop working on your mod, a bad released mod is always going to make you learn more things than a thousand dead projects.

EDIT : if you think SCP entries give good story ideas you are wrong as hell imo. SCP is a great game and it's a lot of fun to play it, but its storyline is very cliche and straightforward. And by the way, the gameplay is very very close to "there are things chasing you you must escape". Storyline and quality of the narrative are two different things.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM by daortir.)
02-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Although what Mine Turtle said might seem quite rough, it is sadly quite true. I would never say it like that, but I do see where he's coming from. At least for veteran Amnesia players/modders, they are tired of these kind of things. Personally I'd let it go for now though, seeing as it's your first piece of work. No one are perfect the first time around and I'm sure your next work will be a huge improvement. That's where encouragement comes in. I say don't stop. Keep working with it and you'll understand exactly what he means.

As long as you do not give up, you can do anything you'd like, given enough time.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM by Mudbill.)
02-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Yeah, Mudbill said it better than me : keep working hard and eventually you'll do great !
I'm just getting a bit tired of the pretention that some old Amnesia modders are showing.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM by daortir.)
02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

(02-05-2014, 10:57 AM)daortir Wrote: Yeah, Mudbill said it better than me : keep working hard and eventually you'll do great !
I'm just getting a bit tired of the pretention that some old Amnesia modders are showing.

Yeah, it does feel like they're being kinda arrogant to expect beginners to be able to produce adept content. A very important thing to have when working on a thing like this is motivation, and if the community does not supply that it could be difficult.

Basically don't let people get you down just because they say something kinda mean. If the critisism isn't constructive, you're free to ignore it, because then they have no intention of helping.
In this case it IS somewhat constructive, just presented in a negative way. Constructive critisism should not be negative and discouraging, but rather the opposite even if it's about things done wrong.

Critisism: "You're bad."
Negative constructive critisism: "You're bad because..."
Positive contructive critisism: "Here are some things you should improve on:..."

02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13

(02-05-2014, 09:57 AM)Mine Turtle Wrote:

1) Jumpscares
3) Half-assed mapping

I understand your point, but asking someone to stop modding is not the "solution". You never start out perfect at anything, no one does. You make your way up and improve over time by learning from mistakes. What will happen if whenever you do something bad you would just quit?

[Image: 9b29c35d41.png]
02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Find