Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.1 Average
Work in progress In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod

(07-22-2014, 10:15 AM)Romulator Wrote: Juuuuuuuuuuust an idea:

Light up a match then look at a torch on the wall (or a scriptarea around it). If you look at it for ~3 seconds, light up the torch Smile It helps provide a little more light in the area for the player, even though one thing it seems you are trying to maintain is the limitation of light sourcing available.

Again, just an idea :3 No need to be implemented Smile

We've thought of that, but chose to exclude that from the mod for now. Light design will be adjusted accordingly, of course.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(07-21-2014, 05:50 PM)Juras Wrote: The reason the matches run out fast and have small radius is firstly because it's realistic and and secondly because we wanted to add something different to the mod instead of the usual lantern as I'm sure alot of people are tired of it and want something new Tongue

There will be no tinderboxes and this will make the player think twice before using the matches and only when they really need it which will add new feeling to the gameplay as most of the CSs and FCs today don't really make you care about saving oil/tinderboxes. Therefore we will make the lighting in maps where you will need the matches dark (maybe even remove the night vision if possible) and even the small light radius and a short life span of 1 match (we will make the point light of the match flicker/glow and the life span of the match will be random from 9 to about 13 seconds) will make a big difference with some of the objectives.

that's not what i was criticizing though. I get that it's realistic that matches run out quickly, but the light radius is so very small that it's actually easier to just never use them and navigate entirely using the night vision. My suggestion would be to change the night vision so it either takes a long time to take full effect, or make the radius of the night vision (before it fades out to complete darkness) be very small, or make it darker overall.

also, matches light up more than you might think. in a completely dark room, a match could light up the entire place (in, say, a modern bedroom with drywall), albeit very dimly. My suggestion is to have the initial pointlight be the same radius the match has now, and add another pointlight in the model editor with very low levels and tinted brown, but a large radius. This would simulate the light fading as it goes further out, but still illuminating everything ever so slightly, so you aren't just walking into a wall of blackness.

[Image: signature-2.png]
07-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Find
victorkim890(KimmyChimmy) Offline

Threads: 1

Light up a match then look at a torch on the wall (or a scriptarea around it). If you look at it for ~3 seconds, light up the torch Smile

good thing to do but then u have to do tat script for every single torch!!!!
i think frictional games should make a script tat allows one script to effect everything

07-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(07-22-2014, 08:12 PM)Wapez Wrote:

Light up a match then look at a torch on the wall (or a scriptarea around it). If you look at it for ~3 seconds, light up the torch Smile It helps provide a little more light in the area for the player, even though one thing it seems you are trying to maintain is the limitation of light sourcing available.

Again, just an idea :3 No need to be implemented Smile

We've thought of that, but chose to exclude that from the mod for now. Light design will be adjusted accordingly, of course.
No problems! Of course, was just a suggestion. Whether it is to be implemented or not is entirely up to you, but should you exclude it, no issues; the game's navigation deems it unnecessary to hold onto the matches for a certain time, but you have plans for them.
-------------------------------
(07-23-2014, 07:17 AM)victorkim890(KimmyChimmy) Wrote: good thing to do but then u have to do tat script for every single torch!!!!
i think frictional games should make a script tat allows one script to effect everything

It's actually quite easy.

(07-23-2014, 07:10 AM)Romulator Wrote: But that's off topic.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM by Romulator.)
07-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Find

(07-23-2014, 07:20 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(07-23-2014, 07:17 AM)victorkim890(KimmyChimmy) Wrote: good thing to do but then u have to do tat script for every single torch!!!!

It's actually quite easy.

it is but if u hav 567 torches u hav to copy and paste script tat much time and rename wat thing the script is used on so torch 1 torch 2 torch 3...

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM by victorkim890(KimmyChimmy).)
07-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

To elaborate just a small bit for Victor in case you don't know what a "for loop" is:

To put it simply a for loop is the act of running the same code multiple times with the optional addition of changing small details in said code by having it check for which time the code is running for (EX: 1st time would spit out "1" for the code, 2nd time would spit out "2" for the code, etc)

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Find

cant find a loop script on engine page?
also i dont get how to use variable

07-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Find

cant stop laughing at this gif
im going to search up tutorials

07-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37

(07-23-2014, 12:12 AM)Streetboat Wrote: that's not what i was criticizing though. I get that it's realistic that matches run out quickly, but the light radius is so very small that it's actually easier to just never use them and navigate entirely using the night vision. My suggestion would be to change the night vision so it either takes a long time to take full effect, or make the radius of the night vision (before it fades out to complete darkness) be very small, or make it darker overall.

also, matches light up more than you might think. in a completely dark room, a match could light up the entire place (in, say, a modern bedroom with drywall), albeit very dimly. My suggestion is to have the initial pointlight be the same radius the match has now, and add another pointlight in the model editor with very low levels and tinted brown, but a large radius. This would simulate the light fading as it goes further out, but still illuminating everything ever so slightly, so you aren't just walking into a wall of blackness.

I definitely see your point here. It will be considered. But the function of the match and it's light certainly has been adjusted to work the way it's needed to in this mod. It's not designed to work the same way the lantern did. The matches serves the purpose of allowing the player to see small details unnoticable without it. It's not meant to light up rooms or larger areas - it's just a way of making it easier to spot details where it actually is too dark. It won't help you light areas up very much, as you said, but it was never intended to.

If you either don't agree or understand, I promise you that you will see what you needed the matches for when you actually play the mod!

Also, please keep this thread on topic. Thanks!

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Wapez, I'm pretty sure Streetboat understands what you're trying to do. Those matches, which I'm sure you've put quite a bit of time in to creating and perfecting, will be completely useless because the game already has a mechanic for viewing small details (and trust me, they're not unnoticeable unless you have something where those details only show up when a match is being used). That mechanic's called night vision and it already works much better than those matches do.

I doubt many people are actually going to use those matches because they're utterly useless. No, that's not intended to offend, they're really just that bad right now. Their radius is smaller than that of night vision and, to make matters worse, they cause the player to stumble around in pitch black. I'm sure you wouldn't want the time taken to create the matches become a complete waste. Why not at least try doing what Streetboat suggested, take a look at it, if it seems like an abomination, then go back to your version.

There's no harm in taking other people's suggestions or admitting that someone might actually have a good idea. Saying "thanks, we'll consider, BUT you don't understand and I doubt you will until you play the mod" is going to lose quite a few people. Consider it like this: my mapping's total crap (solid white billboards, perfectly square room, no boxlight, no pointlights, just a desk with a lantern on it), so you suggest that perhaps I add some colour to the lighting, tone down the billboards, experiment with pointlights, and detail a little more. If I respond with "k thanks, I'll keep that in mind - but you don't understand the feelings I'm trying to make for this room and the lighting was intentional. Maybe you'll understand when you play my mod" you'd probably be fairly disgruntled, maybe you'd think that I'm completely clueless, that you'll never try giving me feedback again because I'm blind to criticism, or my mod's not going to be anywhere near as good as it could have been if I'd just listen once in a while. Either way, I'd bet you won't feel positive about my mod and you certainly wouldn't play it (unless you're just looking to send a wall of critique at someone).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014, 10:25 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Find