Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Random Stuff

(12-22-2013, 04:49 AM)Abraxas Wrote: Those people are someone's family. Those people had lives of their own and it's NOT up to YOU to decide what their worth is.

Yeah, but we can still poke 'em with da sticks, right?
12-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Abraxas, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about the people who look at this stuff; their personalities, their motives, their capacity for emotion. Your disgust is understandable and valid, don't get me wrong, but things are way more complex than you're making them seem.
12-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(12-22-2013, 04:49 AM)Abraxas Wrote: Makes me wonder if I were ever in serious danger, and people here were the only ones that could save me, how many would take pictures and videos to boost their internet popularity and how many would actually help.

I wouldn't take pictures or videos, I would help you.
In fact, I think I would be more capable of helping a person in danger or severely injured than you would, because I wouldn't panic or feel disturbed by it. I would have more control over my emotions and thus I would be more helpful to the person in danger.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 05:20 AM by Ashtoreth.)
12-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Eh... Don't criticize what you can't understand.

I am with Ash on this one where death simply intrigues me. I understand some people are really sensitive to it and can't even look at a real corpse without puking or something. Thing is, nobody is forcing you. I'm sorry if i'm a disgusting human being for being interesting in the consequences of sick human actions that actually happen.

I'm not getting any kicks from seeing these kind of things, i'm just feeding my mind with new info. For example, the guy that shot himself in the face after shot was really interesting to me because it is recreated in media (films, games etc.) but to see the consequences of it in real life was interesting. Pretty natural curiosity if you ask me.

[Image: luv.gif]
12-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(12-22-2013, 04:56 AM)Paddy Wrote: Abraxas, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about the people who look at this stuff; their personalities, their motives, their capacity for emotion. Your disgust is understandable and valid, don't get me wrong, but things are way more complex than you're making them seem.

As many assumptions as have been made about being over-sensitive and stupid and impudent? Sorry if it's off-base, but I think that when someone has no emotional reaction to mutilation and suicide, I have some basis to say that they lack basic empathy.

As for the whole 'death is natural' thing, suicide and homicide aren't. Or if you accept that it is, and assume that it's good if it's natural, then why should we work to prevent it?
If you were actually interested in the phenomena, you might focus more of the victims' lives and circumstances than their deaths.
Do animals do kill each other while others watch? Sure. But we are not those creatures. A mentally healthy human being will not cannibalize their young (lions) and eat their mother's excrement to obtain antibodies (koalas).
I myself find myself poking around NDE's and such, but I don't post pictures and videos of those people dying and then try to be academic about it. Like I said, if it all was fake, I'd wonder why it was taken down, too. But seeing as it wasn't, I don't see the reason for the outrage.
Be fascinated by death, I really don't care, but don't allow people to suffer because of it.
Academic standpoint or not, you're benefitting from someone else's pain and suffering.

And be honest, you wouldn't be reposting it if you didn't get something out of it. By reposting it, you are encouraging it, even if internally you don't mean to. You are perpetuating the problem and making the content more visible. But maybe I should be happy about that, it'll bring the issue to the forefront so it can be fought against.

And I'm sorry Ash, but emotion acts as a great motivator to me. But you can continue to see it another way if you wish.

'Don't like, don't look!'
Normally good advice if no one's getting harmed. But that isn't true here, and I have every right to step in. Stuff like this, well, doesn't magically disappear if you turn the other way.

12-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

jesus fucking christ just go to bestgore or some shit if thats really how you get your rocks off and everyone else whos freaking the fuck out over it go chill in the corner and look at puppies or something holy fuck i hate this place

Posting Freak
12-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(12-22-2013, 09:02 AM)Kman Wrote: holy fuck i hate this place
you seem mad

[Image: p229xcq]
12-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(12-22-2013, 08:41 AM)Abraxas Wrote: As many assumptions as have been made about being over-sensitive and stupid and impudent?

I never said anything of the sort about you, or anyone else. Even if I had made those assumptions, what's your point? Two wrongs make a right? Putting all of the people you disagree with into a box labelled "probable psychopaths" might make you feel better, but it's not reality.

(12-22-2013, 08:41 AM)Abraxas Wrote: Sorry if it's off-base, but I think that when someone has no emotional reaction to mutilation and suicide...

I've never said that, and I don't remember anyone else saying that either. Being able to watch a video of murder without losing one's mind isn't quite the same as not feeling anything. A pathologist isn't necessarily without empathy because she doesn't vomit every time she opens up a homicide victim's corpse; how is this any different?

(12-22-2013, 08:41 AM)Abraxas Wrote: ...I have some basis to say that they lack basic empathy.

No, you don't. Believing you can judge anything about a person based on a single data point - namely their ability to watch gore without going into mourning - is extremely weird.
12-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(12-22-2013, 09:02 AM)Kman Wrote: jesus fucking christ just go to bestgore or some shit if thats really how you get your rocks off and everyone else whos freaking the fuck out over it go chill in the corner and look at puppies or something holy fuck i hate this place

Because kiddie things are the only alternative to actual violence, and no one should be critical of that. Ever.

Paddy-
A few users implied that any such disgust must be the result of mental ineptitude. My first post was a general reaction from what I've seen posted. This is more specific.

And you don't seem to be acknowledging the distinction of real vs. fake. I've said it a few times: if it was fake, I wouldn't care about the thread being present. Truly I would not.
But that isn't the case here. I wouldn't expect violent outbursts of emotion from everyone who viewed FAKE gore. But here you have someone who filmed someone being mutilated/killed, and posted it on the net for kicks, and people watching with little or no thought to the victim. Or, if you do think of the victim, how are you not outraged? You better believe people are gonna react negatively, even if you have 'reasons,' which haven't gone beyond a fascination with death, a fascination that could be sated by more productive means. The means that you have chosen normalizes and encourages the content.

People reacting negatively to REAL violence should not be a surprise.

12-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

i don't fukcing knoiw why i even come back here anymore everything is pointless and i hate it

Posting Freak
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Website Find