Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Random Stuff

(12-21-2013, 05:34 PM)Naked? No Wrote: But you weren't it's audience. It was not against the forum's rules, and was closed because a mod simply didn't like it despite being "legal" content.

Just because you don't like it. It doesn't mean it should be closed. That's the mentality many governments/religions take over various matters, and it can be very destructive to people's freedom.

And this is simply the same thing that made people angry about Statyk when he started to delete posts of the random thread for personal reasons rather than for the forum's rules.

I think people misunderstand the situation here, I didn't close the thread. And just because I agree with the action taken doesn't mean I'm not for freedom of speech, I just think that kind of stuff is sick, especially finding some kind of entertainment value in it. It's disgusting. And I'm allowed to say that.
[/quote]

I do know It wasn't you. And It is your right to comment. I'm am simply stating that despite it's contents being... well disturbing. It still shouldn't have been closed. That's all.

12-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I think that bands that have music I disagree with shouldn't be allowed in music stores, but. . . That's just my opinion. Not trying to take anyone's freedoms away.

(By the way, what I'm saying is sarcasm.)
12-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

[Image: 128.gif]

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

Lol Dogfood XD

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
12-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

Freedom of speech? As in, freedom to post other people's corpses online for entertainment purposes?
C'mon now.

12-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-22-2013, 02:10 AM)Abraxas Wrote: Freedom of speech? As in, freedom to post other people's corpses online for entertainment purposes?
C'mon now.

Exactly that. Ever heard this quote?

Voltaire Wrote:I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
12-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO LOOK AT MUTILATED COWS, PRIVATES, AND STILL-BORNS!!!

WOO WOO!

WORDS WE CAN RALLY BEHIND!
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 04:18 AM by failedALIAS.)
12-22-2013, 04:16 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(12-22-2013, 02:10 AM)Abraxas Wrote: Freedom of speech? As in, freedom to post other people's corpses online for entertainment purposes?
C'mon now.

No one here uploaded corpses to the internet; we linked to and discussed disturbing material from other websites. Keep in mind that the majority of the stuff posted in that thread wasn't gore, it was creepy comic strips and Animé.

"[...] for entertainment purposes?" depends what you mean by "entertainment". Being curious or interested by something isn't the same as being entertained by it (assuming you mean "entertainment" in a salacious way). Watching a 24-hour news channel is "entertainment" in a much more direct fashion than watching an unedited, unvarnished video clip.

Freedom of speech isn't even the issue, the problem here was the lack of "due course".
12-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

C'mon now.

Again:
- It wasn't against the forum rules.
- No one forced you to watch it; no one interfered with your freedom.

As Bridge already pointed out, things like the videos and images that were posted in the Disturbingness Collection thread can be seen in news broadcasts and news websites around the world on a daily basis. I've seen videos of corpses on news websites such as CNN and CBS, for example.
A "viewer discretion advised" warning is always shown beforehand, so if the viewers decide to watch the content anyway and then feel extremely shocked and offended, well, it's their own fault.

And since you seem to assume that people only watch potentially disturbing content such as corpses for "entertainment purposes", I would like to explain the reasons behind my interest in this kind of content.

Since I was a teenager I've always been interested in the study of death and its causes - thanatology, forensic pathology, etc. In fact, in 2004 I even started a degree programme to become a pathologist assistant, but I had to drop out due to personal reasons.
So, seeing videos of autopsies and pictures of dead bodies became a completely natural thing to me, no matter what the condition of the cadavers is, and even when they're babies or children. I tend to look at it from an analytical point of view, not out of morbid curiosity or because it's "entertaining".
I've also had my share of dead bodies in real life: my grandmother and my aunt died in my house, and I actually witnessed my aunt die in front of me.

So please understand that, for some of us, death is not entertaining or disturbing; it's just reality, as cold as it might sound. All living things eventually die, and to me seeing images of human corpses is not any more "disturbing" than seeing images of animal carcasses on a National Geographic documentary.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 04:46 AM by Ashtoreth.)
12-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

I can't hold my tongue anymore.
If it was all fake, I wouldn't say anything.
That doesn't excuse it from displaying images of real mutilations and deaths. Why should we be like news crews and completely dismiss empathy and humanity because other people do it (let's also remember that news media has to go through a few layers of red tape and privacy statements to use said images)? Can't you be critical of your own thoughts? Allowing these images and videos online perpetuates the culture of whipping out your camera when someone is in serious danger. And we created a phenomenon where people distance themselves so much from these that they no longer view them as actually happening to real people. Those people are someone's family. Those people had lives of their own and it's NOT up to YOU to decide what their worth is.
Someone lights their room on fire in an attempted suicide attempt? Yeah, there couldn't be a bigger problem going on here other than 'stupidity'. There couldn't POSSIBLY be an issue that actually needs to be called out (y' know, like someone needing psychological help or something?). Where is your empathy? Your sense of compassion?
People post that stuff for their own benefit, not thinking about anyone but themselves. How sick do you have to be?
Oh, I'm too sensitive? Yeah, silly me for being too sensitive to actual mutilated bodies. Guess I haven't been thoroughly desensitized. People losing their lives to entertain you (are we really better than the Romans?)I saw the thread ONCE thinking that'd it'd be fake. But nope, people need REAL stuff to entertain them.
Makes me wonder if I were ever in serious danger, and people here were the only ones that could save me, how many would take pictures and videos to boost their internet popularity and how many would actually help.
The rules may protect what you post, but they don't protect you from people expressing their disgust.
Freedom of speech protects you from government intervention, not from people disagreeing with you on the internet and big bad mods from deleting controversial stuff. I'm a bit baffled that people need it written down that that stuff is all kinds of messed up, and I'm not just talking about the media itself.

12-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Find