Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Random Stuff: "Enough randomness to last a lifetime! Or at least until tomorrow!"

Would be cool to replace the lantern with a portal gun, bind F to M2, and set long distance interaction on entities you can "portal up." That way you can left click for blue and right click for orange.

That makes me think of something... if the entire level was constructed out of simple shapes (like the test chambers) and all shapes were entities, you could technically calculate where the portals are placed and possibly get the relative position of all entities in the scene based on the position of the portal, then "spawn" a new room every time you place a portal link at the other side. Then you could be able to actually "see" through the portal from their own perspective.

Of course would be a good idea to garbage collect the old rooms... but that's another story.

On an entirely different topic: Thoughts?

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM by Mudbill.)
01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Cheese is pretty cool on a sammich.

(01-13-2017, 12:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Would be cool to replace the lantern with a portal gun, bind F to M2, and set long distance interaction on entities you can "portal up."

Way ahead of you...
Well, I've got a working prototype. Right now you switch portal in your inventory. Put the orange circle on the lantern and you're shooting orange portals.

Right now you can only open portals on a wall that is specifically created for it. I bet it's super possible to make it more variable... But I think the wall would still have to be an entity, for the player to be able to trigger a Look Callback.

But in my prototype you can walk through portals, replace your old portal with the other color, preserve momentum when walking through them (You actually gain a little too).

The video looks cool, although I've never played a Zelda game (Never owned a console except for a wii) so I never got into the franchise.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Yea I remember seeing your portal mod video some time ago, so I know it's functional. But have you tried using interaction callbacks for left click and lantern callbacks for right click?

01-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-14-2017, 01:13 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Yea I remember seeing your portal mod video some time ago, so I know it's functional. But have you tried using interaction callbacks for left click and lantern callbacks for right click?

How would I do interaction callbacks on leftclick? Do you mean an area that covers up the whole map? And then bind lantern to right click?

EDIT:
I just reread your post and I missed a couple of points... Long distance interaction you say? How do you do that?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 06:14 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-14-2017, 03:57 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I think this can be set per entity to define how far you can interact with it from.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 7060563594854bbbba644af0cb451d05.png]

There should be something similar in the game.cfg for global interaction as well.

01-14-2017, 06:17 AM
Find
Posting Freak

Ooooooooh...
Might have to look into that. Could make for some fuuun...
I think I'd rather have it set to specific entities, since the player might have to interact with boxes and the likes.

EDIT: Mudbill you're from Scandinavia as well... why are you up?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 06:32 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I started faffing about with that a while back with UE4, super basic still and I have not worked on it for quite a while, was just me teaching myself scripting stuff.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 04:24 PM by Traggey.)
01-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Wow, that's pretty cool!
Looks like it updates the portal image as well.
Momentum is not preserved though. Was that on purpose? Resetting the velocity of the player?

01-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(01-14-2017, 04:53 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: Wow, that's pretty cool!
Momentum is not preserved though. Was that on purpose? Resetting the velocity of the player?

Yeah the texture captures the scene in realtime from a camera actor so it acts like you'd expect it to.

I am very much a games artist so this whole scripting thing is rather new to me so I have not gotten around to the whole velocity thing yet as it involves converting vectors and it's just a little too much for me at the moment.
01-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-14-2017, 08:51 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 04:53 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: Wow, that's pretty cool!

Yeah the texture captures the scene in realtime from a camera actor so it acts like you'd expect it to.

I am very much a games artist so this whole scripting thing is rather new to me so I have not gotten around to the whole velocity thing yet as it involves converting vectors and it's just a little too much for me at the moment.

Ah, hehe. Yeah, I'm trying to get around it as well, in amnesia. Not so many vectors there, but it could work.

You're an artist? Is it drawing or 3D modeling, or rather a Level Designer?

01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Find