Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pink Floyd Inspirations in FG's Games?
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17
Pink Floyd Inspirations in FG's Games?

I'm sure somebody must have brought this up at some point in time, but I have to ask. Anyone notice the amount of what appear to be references to Pink Floyd songs in FG's games? In particular, "The Wall", [and now that AMFP is out] "Welcome to the Machine" and "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"?

When I first played Penumbra, I noticed a lot of what seemed like vague references to various songs from The Wall, but I wrote them off as probably either being purely coincidental, or just a small homage akin to Bully [in which the influences are more clear cut]. Particularly, I seem to remember it reminding me quite a bit of "Hey You", "Waiting for the Worms" and "The Trial" [suddenly the giant worm from the animated sequence in the movie comes to mind xD].

Then I played TDD and noticed that same sort of thing going on. I'd have to give the album a quick listen again to pinpoint what in particular it was that I made connections between, but there were a few that came to mind. It could also just be that they have very similar themes of isolation, betrayal, cutting one's self off from the world, bitterness and anger towards people perceived to have wronged you, et cetera.

With AMFP, it's way more noticeable. Pretty obvious why, when you give each "Welcome to the Machine" and "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" a listen, but here's an example for you.

Lyrics from "Pigs" that seem to directly correlate with AMFP:

"Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are. You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are. And when your hand is on your heart..."
"With your head down in the pig bin, saying 'keep on digging'. Pig stain on your fat chin. What do you hope to find when you're down in the pig mine?"

Is it just me? I really wouldn't be surprised if they did draw inspiration from Pink Floyd, as they're one of the most influential bands to ever exist, and their stark and edgy take on social issues is certainly enough to get one thinking.

I know I for one draw some inspiration from Pink Floyd's music, albeit usually in far more abstract forms. One of the primary alien gods I write about in my Lovecraftian horror genre book was inspired by "Eclipse" lol.

Also, on a side note, I was just going through one of my playlists and noticed that Take That's "Kidz" goes weirdly well with AMFP, but this one I'm just chalking up to similar themes lol. By that same token, I could also draw a comparison with Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" or say that the reason Mandus murdered his children [to protect them from the horrors of the 20th century] is reminiscent of Danzig's "Mother" xD.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Pink Floyd Inspirations in FG's Games?

Maybe Frictional games are fans of pink floyd XD
03-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

That's what I'm thinking lol

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
03-09-2014, 02:03 AM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

Once again, AMFP was not made by FG.
03-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Yes it was but TheChineseRoom helped them too
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(03-09-2014, 04:22 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: Yes it was but TheChineseRoom helped them too

No, it was developed by TCR and published by Frictional.
03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Find
Tommyboypsp Offline

Threads: 10

(03-08-2014, 10:07 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: Lyrics from "Pigs" that seem to directly correlate with AMFP:

"Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are. You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are. And when your hand is on your heart..."
"With your head down in the pig bin, saying 'keep on digging'. Pig stain on your fat chin. What do you hope to find when you're down in the pig mine?"
That's it? Just the words 'pig man'?

Funderbunk Wrote:Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Find
VoodooFox Offline

Threads: 1

I would say this myth is debunked. Thanks to the Myth Busters.

Hate you too luv ;) Youtube here
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

I'm 101% positive that the concept of comparing men to pigs didn't begin with a '70s rock band. Not to mention that Frictional didn't develop the Pig game.

But hey, I'm sure there are other gamers out there with more musical knowledge than me who can try to link lyrics to the themes of these games.
03-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

maybe she eats pigs?

03-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Find