Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Excellent movies
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Excellent movies

(05-11-2014, 06:55 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: In my opinion the movie is not a masterpiece at all.

Why?

I wasn't offended by the way, it's just weird that you talk about the series as if it's common knowledge that it's terrible which is not the case - it's loved by almost everybody. It's not even a matter of opinion, the statement just doesn't make sense. You might say "I love it despite it being bad" about Troll 2 or something.
05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

(05-11-2014, 06:55 AM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 06:07 PM)DavidS Wrote: Hmmmm... I really liked Budapest Hotel, but I am not sure if I liked it more than Moonrise Kingdom.
Oh cool. Thanks for recommend. Looks like something unusual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zru-1DbbcsA

As one of my friends put it: "It is a great movie about storytelling.", and also it has an attention to detail and art direction that gives movies like Gatsby a run for its money. It did feel odd to watch it the first time though. Mostly because it didn`t feel like a movie that could come out nowadays and a little bit because it made me think so much about the places of my childhood often spend in rural central europe. Both are pleasant surprises but I am sure the setting is not of everyones taste.

/////////////////////////////////////
05-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(05-11-2014, 12:05 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-11-2014, 06:55 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: In my opinion the movie is not a masterpiece at all.
...You might say "I love it despite it being bad" about Troll 2 or something.
Yeah, I realized that. And that's why I decided to say sorry. I am no troll.

(05-11-2014, 12:05 PM)Bridge Wrote: Why?
It's not so easy to describe. But I will try. Well while I am reading the great Tolkin book it's like watching Alien. It's fantasy but atmospheric, well-thought-out and serious... (There's too much to say about the book). And while I'm watching movie it's very opposite, it's like Star Wars. It's a total fantasy with no seriousness, it's just a tale for children. It's just not so complex as the book. This is no bad. But the feelings I get while reading the book and watching the movie are totally different. The level of satisfaction is different. And that's the answer "why" I think that the movie is not a masterpiece.

Back on topic. Among the latest movies I did like there was one the Enemy. Here's a link to a trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuaAWrgoUY Not so excellent, but the story is surely crazy.
05-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-11-2014, 12:34 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: And while I'm watching movie it's very opposite, it's like Star Wars. It's a total fantasy with no seriousness, it's just a tale for children.

Have you even seen Empire? Even if we're only talking about the first movie, how can you possibly say it is only for kids (I'll give you Phantom Menace, though, and maybe the other prequels?) I'm sorry, but I don't understand your description of Lord of the Rings as a "fantasy with no seriousness."

Quote:It's just not so complex as the book. This is no bad. But the feelings I get while reading the book and watching the movie are totally different. The level of satisfaction is different. And that's the answer "why" I think that the movie is not a masterpiece.

At worst it is a bad adaptation then. Don't compromises always have to be made when adapting a book, especially a 1000-page book, to film? You can't fit everything that's in the book (I haven't read it so I'm assuming here) into a movie or even three because it will be unbearably long. The films mainly focus on the main narrative which to my understanding is not essentially different from the books. It's not really an answer as to why it is a bad movie. The source material is completely irrelevant.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 12:53 PM by Bridge.)
05-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

It's not a bad adaptation. It's a good one. It was my bad to say that the movie is bad. It's my fault, I chose bad words to describe what do I think. The movie is surely moves me emotionally. But it's not equally as good as the book. It adds nothing to the book and that's no good for adaptations. The Shining movie (for example) is even better than the book, a lot more complex, non-straightforward and mysterious. That's what adaptation is supposed to be (as I imagine it). Lord of the Rings movie do represents the scale of events, do represents drama and tragedy, do represents... bla-bla-bla. It's a nice movie, nice adaptation. But... you know. The movie is good. But the book is better. That's all. I do not know what else to say. It's just my private shitty opinion, subjective not objective.
It's an off-topic, let's finish that conversation. Please.
05-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-11-2014, 01:11 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: It's not a bad adaptation. It's a good one. It was my bad to say that the movie is bad. It's my fault, I chose bad words to describe what do I think. The movie is surely moves me emotionally. But it's not equally as good as the book. It adds nothing to the book and that's no good for adaptations. The Shining movie (for example) is even better than the book, a lot more complex, non-straightforward and mysterious. That's what adaptation is supposed to be (as I imagine it). Lord of the Rings movie do represents the scale of events, do represents drama and tragedy, do represents... bla-bla-bla. It's a nice movie, nice adaptation. But... you know. The movie is good. But the book is better. That's all. I do not know what else to say. It's just my private shitty opinion, subjective not objective.
It's an off-topic, let's finish that conversation. Please.

Ok, sure. I was only curious. You shouldn't undermine your opinion so much, though.
05-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

For the record, LOTR is a film which gets me close to tears at the end. Every single bloody time Sad

[Image: luv.gif]
05-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(05-11-2014, 09:45 PM)Wooderson Wrote: For the record, LOTR is a film which gets me close to tears at the end. Every single bloody time Sad

"My friends, you bow to no one."
05-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

The LOTR books weren't too interesting for me, and I read them all.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM by Froge.)
05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(05-11-2014, 09:50 PM)Tiger Wrote:
(05-11-2014, 09:45 PM)Wooderson Wrote: For the record, LOTR is a film which gets me close to tears at the end. Every single bloody time Sad

"My friends, you bow to no one."

OH MY GOD YOU KNOW IT!

I'm not the only one! Big Grin

But yeah, that moment, after seeing it time and time again, it never gets easier holding in the tears.

[Image: luv.gif]
05-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Find