Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What scares you?
Skyy Offline

Threads: 5
RE: What scares you?

Thank you all for your opinion! They will all help me a lot!
05-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Horror game is like a car, a good one.

Quote:And old environment or a modern environment?
Both old fashion cars and modern cars are nice. And it doesn't really matters which one you do prefer. It all depends on your personal driving skills.

Quote:Jumpscares or story?
The story is an engine. And you can fill it with a cheap fuel (jumpscares) or with an expensive one (buildup-tension-blablabla-climax). It's up to you what kind of fuel to use, but it will die faster or later Big Grin

Quote:Music or no music?
Sometimes it's cool to drive and listen to the radio. Sometimes it's cool to shut the music down and open the window and listen to the wind and cars passing by. And sometimes... [whatever]

Quote:Dungeons or mansions? Mansions or castles?
That's kind of a car decoration. Leather is really cool. But fabric is also really nice. Well, plastic and fake leather is no cool Tongue Everything that feels natural is cool and not-natural is not so nice. It's all about that.
05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Website Find
Skyy Offline

Threads: 5

(05-11-2014, 11:42 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Horror game is like a car, a good one.

Quote:And old environment or a modern environment?
Both old fashion cars and modern cars are nice. And it doesn't really matters which one you do prefer. It all depends on your personal driving skills.

Quote:Jumpscares or story?
The story is an engine. And you can fill it with a cheap fuel (jumpscares) or with an expensive one (buildup-tension-blablabla-climax). It's up to you what kind of fuel to use, but it will die faster or later Big Grin

Quote:Music or no music?
Sometimes it's cool to drive and listen to the radio. Sometimes it's cool to shut the music down and open the window and listen to the wind and cars passing by. And sometimes... [whatever]

Quote:Dungeons or mansions? Mansions or castles?
That's kind of a car decoration. Leather is really cool. But fabric is also really nice. Well, plastic and fake leather is no cool Tongue Everything that feels natural is cool and not-natural is not so nice. It's all about that.
That's brilliant!
05-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(05-11-2014, 11:42 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Everything that feels natural is cool and not-natural is not so nice.

#Realism.

Yes, this. Realism is awesome.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
05-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Basically the best way to scare people is by doing something new, something that the players wouldn't see coming. It can be a small detail, like changing certain settings in Amnesia, like making custom grunt entity files, which have no music.

This way, the player would normally expect the "danger" music to start every time a grunt spawns, but if it doesn't, they'll probably think that it's merely a sound effect, which will lead to the player getting startled by a sudden grunt appearance without sinister music.

It could also be something bigger, such as a new monster. I remember how scared I was in Library of Alexandria when I saw a glimpse of that new monster that I had never seen before.
New sound effects and such work as well.

I think that music and sound are the most effective things in horror games. It creates the immersion, startles people, and entertains them. Try playing a horror game without sound, it's really not that scary anymore.

I personally think that the mansion is a better environment just because it looks better. It also has far more variety than castles and especially dungeons. Ideally, you should have a nice mix of them all to keep it fresh, but the mansionset is still my personal favourite. Dungeons and stuff just look kind of bland with the same rocky texture seen everywhere.

I think there are generally two things that scare me in Amnesia nowadays, those being chase scenes and the fear of the unknown. Chase scenes can be quite scary since you know that the monster is right behind you, and if you turn around, it's likely that he'll be right at your face. That's also when the monster's sound effects are at their scariest.

The reason that jumpscares work is because you're not expecting them. If you play a game, with the majority of scares consisting of jumpscares, for the second time, you'll probably know when to expect them, and that's when they're not that scary anymore.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM by GrAVit.)
05-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Find
ethics Offline

Threads: 18

The only thing in Amnesia that manages to scare me after almost 200 hours of playing is a unique, never-seen montrosity, that chases you.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-a-cowards-debt

05-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Creepy atmosphere, ambience around me, old libraries with lots of locked rooms making my mind think what's in that room, some creepy sounds.
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Find
GeneralCAL Offline

Threads: 3

(05-13-2014, 08:53 AM)GrAVit Wrote: Basically the best way to scare people is by doing something new, something that the players wouldn't see coming. It can be a small detail, like changing certain settings in Amnesia, like making custom grunt entity files, which have no music.

This way, the player would normally expect the "danger" music to start every time a grunt spawns, but if it doesn't, they'll probably think that it's merely a sound effect, which will lead to the player getting startled by a sudden grunt appearance without sinister music.

It could also be something bigger, such as a new monster. I remember how scared I was in Library of Alexandria when I saw a glimpse of that new monster that I had never seen before.

I think that music and sound are the most effective things in horror games. It creates the immersion, startles people, and entertains them. Try playing a horror game without sound, it's really not that scary anymore.

I personally think that the mansion is a better environment just because it looks better. It also has far more variety than castles and especially dungeons. Ideally, you should have a nice mix of them all to keep it fresh, but the mansionset is still my personal favourite. Dungeons and stuff just look kind of bland with the same rocky texture seen everywhere.

I think there are generally two things that scare me in Amnesia nowadays, those being chase scenes and the fear of the unknown. Chase scenes can be quite scary since you know that the monster is right behind you, and if you turn around, it's likely that he'll be right at your face. That's also when the monster's sound effects are at their scariest.

The reason that jumpscares work is because you're not expecting them. If you play a game, with the majority of scares consisting of jumpscares, for the second time, you'll probably know when to expect them, and that's when they're not that scary anymore.

Do you know how to make different sound effects for the Grunt or how to completely get rid of the chase music itself? I found the chase music in the main game to be one of the most terrifying parts of the chase scenes. Your ideas of scary stuff are reallygood tthough. Custom monsters are something I want to add in my custom story, but I don't know how to do it myself anddon't know anyone who can Sad
07-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

(07-04-2014, 12:41 AM)GeneralCAL Wrote: Do you know how to make different sound effects for the Grunt or how to completely get rid of the chase music itself? I found the chase music in the main game to be one of the most terrifying parts of the chase scenes. Your ideas of scary stuff are reallygood tthough. Custom monsters are something I want to add in my custom story, but I don't know how to do it myself anddon't know anyone who can Sad

As for the grunt without music, check the bottom here:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/th...age-6.html

I did explain this just yesterday.

07-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

(07-04-2014, 12:41 AM)GeneralCAL Wrote:
(05-13-2014, 08:53 AM)GrAVit Wrote: Basically the best way to scare people is by doing something new, something that the players wouldn't see coming. It can be a small detail, like changing certain settings in Amnesia, like making custom grunt entity files, which have no music.

Do you know how to make different sound effects for the Grunt or how to completely get rid of the chase music itself? I found the chase music in the main game to be one of the most terrifying parts of the chase scenes. Your ideas of scary stuff are reallygood tthough. Custom monsters are something I want to add in my custom story, but I don't know how to do it myself anddon't know anyone who can Sad

Yeah, it's been a while since I did something like that, but I think you just gotta make a new folder in Amnesia's main entities folder. Call it by your custom story's name for reference, it doesn't actually have to be named after your custom story, but it helps to distinguish what content is related to your custom story.

I think you copy Amnesia's grunt folder (or whatever enemy you want to use) and paste it in this new folder you created. Then just edit the .ent file in there with Notepad or whatever text editor you want to use, and set the values

<Var Name="DangerMusic" Value="dan_grunt.ogg" />        
<Var Name="SearchMusic" Value="search_grunt.ogg" />      
<Var Name="AttackMusic" Value="att_grunt.ogg" />

To

<Var Name="DangerMusic" Value="" />        
<Var Name="SearchMusic" Value="" />      
<Var Name="AttackMusic" Value="" />

This will remove all music associated to the enemy. You can edit other properties in these .ent files as well. Don't forget to save.

You then go to the level editor and get the enemy from the folder you created inside Amnesia's entities folder.

There might be an easier way to do all this, but I couldn't find any other way to directly place these things from the level editor than creating a new folder with your content inside Amnesia's own entities folder. It doesn't allow you to pick files from other folders as far as I know.

EDIT: Welp, I guess I got ninja'd by a minute. lol
At least I got to make my 500th post, yay! Tongue

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 01:44 AM by GrAVit.)
07-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Find