Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Need save game after chemical storeroom
Redearth Offline

Threads: 1
Need save game after chemical storeroom

Hello,

I purchased this game from Direct2Drive, but they do not have the patched version of the game available, and the game cannot be patched due to their copy protection. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a crash error that is stopping me from continuing the game, and so far I love this game and would very much like to continue.

Is there a chance anyone could offer me a save game? I'm at the point right after I get the substance from the chemical storeroom (by using the grabbing mechanism) and run through the hall with lots of debris and steam. I make it back to the first room in the chemical storeroom, but after I try to go through the door and load the next area, the game crashes. So I need a save AFTER I go through the door.

Thanks very much if anyone could offer this.
01-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Need save game after chemical storeroom

(01-19-2009, 01:15 AM)Redearth Wrote: Hello,

I purchased this game from Direct2Drive, but they do not have the patched version of the game available, and the game cannot be patched due to their copy protection. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a crash error that is stopping me from continuing the game, and so far I love this game and would very much like to continue.

Is there a chance anyone could offer me a save game? I'm at the point right after I get the substance from the chemical storeroom (by using the grabbing mechanism) and run through the hall with lots of debris and steam. I make it back to the first room in the chemical storeroom, but after I try to go through the door and load the next area, the game crashes. So I need a save AFTER I go through the door.

Thanks very much if anyone could offer this.

Hi redearth!

If you are willing to wait a bit, i can get it to you.(Sorry, other computer has the saves Big GrinSmile

Not an image
01-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Find
Redearth Offline

My apologies if this should have been posted in the technical support forum. I did find a posting similar to mine in the technical support forum, but the save game link that was posted there is not valid anymore.

Also, since there was some concern on part of the developers as to whether or not people who had this problem purchased the game or not, I'd like to quickly add that I did in fact purchase the game from Direct2Drive and contacted them about the issue. Their response:

"You are correct that the patch is the cause of the problem. Digital distribution games use different copy protection methods than retail games, and occasionally patches for boxed versions are not cross-compatible. Most publishers now release all-in-one patches that support both the boxed and digital download versions, however it seems that Fricitonal have not taken that path.

In addition, most patches first check for compatibility before they attempt to patch the game. It appears that the patch for Penumbra: Black Plague simply overwrites existing files without checking for compatibility first. The modifications made by the patch file "break" the copy protection system. Unfortunately the only way to repair it will be to uninstall and then reinstall the game, which wouldn't help with the technical issue you are encountering.

The patching issue has now been reported to management, and will be investigated by technical staff."
(01-19-2009, 01:20 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: Hi redearth!

If you are willing to wait a bit, i can get it to you.(Sorry, other computer has the saves Big GrinSmile

That would be great! Thanks.

But, you know, if anyone else has one in the mean time... Wink
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM by Droogie.)
01-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

No need, i got to the other computer without fuss (amazingly) hang tight for ten minutes.
ok, it seems these attachments are not allowed...
If you want, give me your email and i'll email the save to you.

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2009, 03:33 AM by ARes88.)
01-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Find
Redearth Offline

Thanks a lot, worked like a charm. Didn't realize I was so close to completing the game!
01-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

To attach saved games you'll need to zip them first, it also makes the size of the go from around 8MB to 0.1MB so quite useful for us all to have them zipped Smile

In response to D2D, they make it sound as they have not had a clue about this problem or not have the files for the patch available to them, but of course the files and problem has been available for almost a year. In D2D case I'm quite sure it is impossible for us to make a patch as if I recall correctly D2D signs all the files in a game, so should you replace some of them the game won't work even if you make the game exe run without copy protection.
01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

(01-19-2009, 09:52 AM)jens Wrote: To attach saved games you'll need to zip them first, it also makes the size of the go from around 8MB to 0.1MB so quite useful for us all to have them zipped Smile

Thanks jens, will keep that in mind.

Not an image
01-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Find
Redearth Offline

(01-19-2009, 09:52 AM)jens Wrote: To attach saved games you'll need to zip them first, it also makes the size of the go from around 8MB to 0.1MB so quite useful for us all to have them zipped Smile

In response to D2D, they make it sound as they have not had a clue about this problem or not have the files for the patch available to them, but of course the files and problem has been available for almost a year. In D2D case I'm quite sure it is impossible for us to make a patch as if I recall correctly D2D signs all the files in a game, so should you replace some of them the game won't work even if you make the game exe run without copy protection.

Yeah, I thought their response was pretty odd and I won't be buying anything from then again for the foreseeable future, especially if you can't patch or mod games as normal.
01-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

these days, ebay/ game sellers can deliver you a hard copy of that game if you look around. I have given up on digital downloads, to much damn stuff about pirating.

Not an image
01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Find
beardotsek Offline

hi
my game crashed at the same position..
if someone could send me the save file to me please!
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Find