Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Any Master's Degree Research Topic Reccomendations? (Gaming-related))
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Any Master's Degree Research Topic Reccomendations? (Gaming-related))

Hey there all! As I've been spreading a bit here, and there, I've been accepted into a higher level academic institution, and am about to prepare to work for my Master's Degree in a Gaming/Toys related field in the next two years after school starts this September.

I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but in Taiwan at least, in order to graduate, and get your Master's degree, a student must write a Thesis, which in layman's terms is a research document in which the student conducts research on a topic of their choice.

I still have ample time before the deadline is met on what I am going to write mine on, and I already have one, or two ideas boiling around in my head, but I thought I'd ask you guys for some brainstorming material as to what would be an interesting topic to research on (Gaming related since that is what I'll be studying!) Practically any suggestion will do since I'll be talking with my professors to mix it up into a really suitable topic, so simple brainstorming will be suitable for now.

A current contender I have in my mind is:
How to Flawlessly Integrate Teaching with Gaming

So what I'm looking for from you guys are suggestions on what topics to research for my Thesis (Gaming Related!)

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
06-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Any Master's Degree Research Topic Reccomendations? (Gaming-related))

(06-04-2014, 03:25 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: A current contender I have in my mind is:
How to Flawlessly Integrate Teaching with Gaming

If you pursue this, I would recommend watching Game Theory. The guy behind it (Matthew Patrick) does some pretty interesting stuff in terms of teaching us theories in video games. He incorporates a lot of mathematics, physics and value based questions to determine the reality of some games. Smile

Examples:
Maths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_uxxFJTvE
Physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOMDODEBk0
Money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuH0-994Hk&feature=kp

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM by Romulator.)
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

Also "Extra Credits" hat a month long focus on gaming and education.

Anyways, I think the question you might want to ask yourself what do you love most about games and make that your topic in the thesis. If it is teaching through games, then go for it, but if you are unsure then take your time. Nothing worse than writing a thesis/paper about something you are not 100% in love with. For me personally this would be: "contemporary philosophy in games", ""beautiful" and "ugly" aesthetics in contemporary videogames for the creation of visual pacing." and "use of symbolism in art direction at a low and high level of product design and their communication across" (there you go for a title from hell and not being a native speaker sure doesn`t help either xD).

/////////////////////////////////////
06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

There are quite a handful of youtube channels dealing with this kind of stuff, not education specifically but almost uni-level case studies of certain game mechanics, what the game means and how it has affected people and other games around us. Here are my favourites:

MrBtongue
MatthewMatosis
Al Russel
Errant Signal
Super Bunnyhop

Can be very insightful stuff they talk about, you might want to check them out, you won't regret it.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 05:39 PM by eliasfrost.)
06-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

the politics involved in gaming and how world view and cultural standards come into play in how games are designed and what sort of influence they have on the players

Posting Freak
06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Website Find