Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Silent Hills Thread
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Silent Hills Thread

Only the original first three games of the series are masterpieces. All the others are crap. Team Silent did a very great job to create horror. Only the fourth game "The Room" was really bad from this developer. Then the series got an other developer who totally ruined it. It's now like a conventional action game with bad gameplay. More violence/fighting instead of psychological horror.

Silent Hill is only good when it cames from Japan.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 07:13 PM by Googolplex.)
08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(08-17-2014, 07:12 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Silent Hill is only good when it cames from Japan.
I'm sorry but this line reeks of weeaboo and don't criticize The room...that's Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 07:23 PM by Newsman Waterpaper.)
08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(08-17-2014, 07:20 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I'm sorry but this line reeks of weeaboo

Have you done research on how well-received each game in the franchise was, and how that correlated with who was developing it?

As Googl said, Team Silent (From Japan) has developed the first four installment, and save for the fourth one, they are all very highly praised.

Later installments were developed by other foreign companies:

Silent Hill Origins: Climax Studios (UK)
Silent Hill Shattered Memories: Climax Studios (UK)
Silent Hill Homecoming: Double Helix Games (USA)
Silent Hill Downpour: Vatra Games (Czech)
Silent Hill Book of Memories: WayForward Technologies (USA) (I'm sure if this one should even count)

I have not played any of these games, except for Homecoming, but I have heard of their reputations. Except for the ones made by Climax Studios, the other game have been considered more sub-par when compared from their Japanese predecessors.

So, yes it is perfectly reasonable for Googol to have said he liked Silent Hill better when Japan was making it, and definitely not weaboo fanboy move.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(08-17-2014, 08:01 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(08-17-2014, 07:20 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I'm sorry but this line reeks of weeaboo

Have you done research on how well-received each game in the franchise was, and how that correlated with who was developing it?

As Googl said, Team Silent (From Japan) has developed the first four installment, and save for the fourth one, they are all very highly praised.

Later installments were developed by other foreign companies:

Silent Hill Origins: Climax Studios (UK)
Silent Hill Shattered Memories: Climax Studios (UK)
Silent Hill Homecoming: Double Helix Games (USA)
Silent Hill Downpour: Vatra Games (Czech)
Silent Hill Book of Memories: WayForward Technologies (USA) (I'm sure if this one should even count)

I have not played any of these games, except for Homecoming, but I have heard of their reputations. Except for the ones made by Climax Studios, the other game have been considered more sub-par when compared from their Japanese predecessors.

So, yes it is perfectly reasonable for Googol to have said he liked Silent Hill better when Japan was making it, and definitely not weaboo fanboy move.

I'm well aware that first 4 silent hill games were made in Japan and well received and foreign developed ones weren't as well praised but it was way he word that give me a weaboo vibe, to meit just sounded like the reason the first 3 games were good because they made in japan rather than it was people who knew what they were doing,I knew that googol meant he like silent hill when it was devloped by people who knew what they were doing but it was meaning the wording of that line..well you know. I do think reasonable to like silent hill back when team silent knew what they were doing. Now let's back on-topic.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 08:21 PM by Newsman Waterpaper.)
08-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Figured I'd bump this as I finally got into looking at this game. As a silent hill fan, I kinda lost interest after Homecoming (that isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I actually have all the achievements on xbox Big Grin ) and someone I watch on Twitch was playing it so I thought I'd check it out. I was REALLY happy to see how they've handled just a simple teaser demo. The visuals, the cryptic behavior, the interactivity and sickly environment... It really feels like an older silent hill game to me but something was bothering me. So I googled it and actually found a decryption video which kinda blew me away. Thought I'd post it here because this was a really unique idea:

Though I don't have a PS4 or intend on getting one, this looks awesome. Hopefully it gets a PC port or something =[ Exclusives suck ass.
08-23-2014, 04:31 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

I played through most of it.

Stopped a few minutes after "it" happened.

The atmosphere's incredible, got me so scared that I was jumping from any sound in my real life surroundings.

Definitely a promising sign for the actual game.
08-23-2014, 05:33 AM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

I must admit, I was for a moment in full-fanboy mode. SH has always been my top favorite when it comes to videogame horror. Hopefully they bring the sex back to the series (in more than one way).

/////////////////////////////////////
08-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I can't imagine playing it alone in the dark with headphones. I mean, just watching other people play it is bad enough. Have really high hopes for this.

Seeing how MGS5 is coming to PC, I also am optimistic that SH will also port over.

[Image: luv.gif]
08-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

(08-17-2014, 08:01 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:

4 was still received pretty well, critically - and a lot of the fan base seems to have warmed up to it over the years. Shattered Memories, one of the non-Japanese titles got even better reception.

I won't deny, Shattered Memories aside, that the series has had a quality issue since 4. But that definitely has more to do with Konami themselves treating the series as a cheap cash-in.

If this new one is great it's not going to be just because of some Japanese magic. It's going to be because Konami is giving it the proper resources since Kojima agreed to attach himself to it.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
08-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(08-23-2014, 10:30 AM)DavidS Wrote: I must admit, I was for a moment in full-fanboy mode. SH has always been my top favorite when it comes to videogame horror. Hopefully they bring the sex back to the series (in more than one way).

I kind of felt the same. Silent hill used to reference sex in subtle ways that worked in their favor, never feeling like something unnecessary or distasteful. One of my favs was how in Silent Hill 4, there was a room in, I THINK, the hospital and walking into it had a camera facing you at the doorway. It played moans that increasingly got more erotic and when you walked into the room to see what was going on, it was just this giant disturbing face that followed you. I nearly shat bricks.

(08-23-2014, 01:08 PM)Wooderson Wrote: I can't imagine playing it alone in the dark with headphones. I mean, just watching other people play it is bad enough. Have really high hopes for this.

Seeing how MGS5 is coming to PC, I also am optimistic that SH will also port over.

Why wouldn't you play with headphones/surround sound in a dark room? I do that with every horror game, no matter how little horror it may have.

Also that's a good thing to hear, but I won't get my hopes up. =P
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014, 02:56 AM by Statyk.)
08-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Find