Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My review to Risen 3
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: My review to Risen 3

For crying out loud Googol how many times am I going to have to tell you to hide your massive image dumps in spoilers before you understand what I'm saying to you?

As my personal opinion on the game, it was even more of a mess than the second one, which I couldn't handle playing for any more than about two hours before quitting.

Definately not to my liking, it was terribly buggy, the animation work is horrible and the graphics in general are terribly dated, these things as someone who works with 3D in games are very important to me and do affect my enjoyment quite a great deal. The combad I found very boring seing as all you need to do is mash the dodgeroll button and you'll get through any type of fight ever, see no matter if you're actually moving or not aslong as you are dodgerolling noone can hit you, I can for example just stand still dodgerolling into a wall whilst an army of monsters fail to kill me.

Many re-used areas and assets from Risen 2 which kind of sucked, the questing was basicly the same thing still and the storyline was jumping all over the place in a disconnected Risen fashion.

For people out there who care about solid challanging gameplay and a nice aesthetic, I definately wouldn't recommend this game.
09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Traggey Wrote: For crying out loud Googol how many times am I going to have to tell you to hide your massive image dumps in spoilers before you understand what I'm saying to you?

It is quietly allowed to show some screenshots yet. They are definitely not "massive image dumps"!

(09-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Traggey Wrote: As my personal opinion on the game, it was even more of a mess than the second one, which I couldn't handle playing for any more than about two hours before quitting.

Yes, the first two hours of the game are really the greatest no-go ever. A shame for Risen and Piranha Bytes, who normally are known for perfection of design!
I am really angry about that and got a lot disappointed. But later the game becomes much better!!!

(09-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Traggey Wrote: Definately not to my liking, it was terribly buggy, the animation work is horrible and the graphics in general are terribly dated, these things as someone who works with 3D in games are very important to me and do affect my enjoyment quite a great deal. The combad I found very boring seing as all you need to do is mash the dodgeroll button and you'll get through any type of fight ever, see no matter if you're actually moving or not aslong as you are dodgerolling noone can hit you, I can for example just stand still dodgerolling into a wall whilst an army of monsters fail to kill me.

The game is definitely not buggy. There must be something wrong with your system. The animation work is old-school. That's what they WANTED to do. But the problem is that mainly some animals have really unbelievable animations. When you remember the first Gothic from 2001, there have been a lot of more realistic animations. Probably the best until today. It's annoying when they make it more worse 13 years later.

Same with the graphics. It SHOULD be old-school. But to be honest, it is quite a lot disappointing when you expect wonderful graphics like Risen 2 had and then it looks like to be from 2005.

But graphics are not really important for me. Amnesia also looks to be from 2005 and nobody criticized that. Old games like Silent Hill have also bad graphics and are still very good.

The combat is probably the best of every modern game. A lot of better than Skyrim, The Witcher or the action based Dark Souls. As I said, it is not just clicking on the mouse like a champ! The combat makes sense and feels very precise when you understand the mechanics. I never used the dodgeroll.

(09-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Traggey Wrote: Many re-used areas and assets from Risen 2 which kind of sucked, the questing was basicly the same thing still and the storyline was jumping all over the place in a disconnected Risen fashion.

When you remember Gothic II there are also re-used areas like the mining colony from the first part, which takes an important and interesting role in the successor. But you have right, there are probably too much of re-used areas in Risen 3 and what people want to see are NEW locations!

The story really is a bit disconnected. There are connections to Risen 2, but you play a new character with an own story. This is why the Risen story feels like dissected. There is no strong context like in the Gothic series anymore.

(09-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Traggey Wrote: For people out there who care about solid challanging gameplay and a nice aesthetic, I definately wouldn't recommend this game.

What do you mean with challenging?
And even with the faults, Risen 3 is one of the best RPGs out there. Better than the highly praised Skyrim, where is completely no depth.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 03:17 PM by Googolplex.)
09-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I disagree with you on every single point you make during this review. Not going to take it farther than that since there's no arguing with you.

Simply wanted to leave my personal opinion to those whom are reading this thread that are actually considering buying the game.

I have also edited your original post to locate the images within a spoiler, litteraly took me ten seconds and you seem to be too lazy to do it yourself even though I've asked you to so many times before.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM by Traggey.)
09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-10-2014, 08:04 PM)Traggey Wrote: I disagree with you on every single point you make during this review. Not going to take it farther than that since there's no arguing with you.

There's no arguing with me? Interesting!

(09-10-2014, 08:04 PM)Traggey Wrote: Simply wanted to leave my personal opinion to those whom are reading this thread that are actually considering buying the game.

Everyone can leave his personal opinion, but you stopped playing after the first two hours, so that your opinion simply doesn't make any sense. You shouldn't post anything about a game you don't finish. There are 50 hours you missed, what means you only played 4% of the game.

(09-10-2014, 08:04 PM)Traggey Wrote: I have also edited your original post to locate the images within a spoiler, litteraly took me ten seconds and you seem to be too lazy to do it yourself even though I've asked you to so many times before.

The sense of spoilers is to hide content for people who don't want to know.
Pictures in spoilers will also be downloaded. It might be useful for large uncompressed bitmap files, but not for some very small jpg screens.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 09:22 PM by Googolplex.)
09-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I played RISEN 2 for a few hours, in my previous posts I have stated NOTHING about my playtime in Risen 3, read properly please.

And the spoilers are commonly used to keep a thread nice and clean, this is common practise.
09-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-10-2014, 09:46 PM)Traggey Wrote: I played RISEN 2 for a few hours, in my previous posts I have stated NOTHING about my playtime in Risen 3, read properly please.

OK, sorry for my mistake. How long did you play Risen 3 then?

(09-10-2014, 09:46 PM)Traggey Wrote: And the spoilers are commonly used to keep a thread nice and clean, this is common practise.

But I can't see any spoiler function in the forum. I often don't know how to add them manually. When it is an important thing, they would be avaiable in the writing menu of the forum.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM by Googolplex.)
09-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(09-10-2014, 09:46 PM)Traggey Wrote: And the spoilers are commonly used to keep a thread nice and clean, this is common practise.

Exactly. Actually spoilers are most often used for that and not to hide an actual spoiler.

(09-11-2014, 09:08 AM)Googolplex Wrote: But I can't see any spoiler function in the forum. I often don't know how to add them manually. When it is an important thing, they would be avaiable in the writing menu of the forum.

[spoiler]TEXT[/spoiler]
09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Find