Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I always hit this point in development when...
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15
RE: I always hit this point in development when...

Dr Badcat regarding detailing:

I sent you a PM regarding this, definitely wanting to take you up on your offer for detailing.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM by burge4150.)
09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

This is just my take on it, that kind of matches my personality.

Everyone is different so what works for others will not always work on yourself, but it might help give you some ideas.
Spoiler below!
I find it best just to force yourself to work on it. (You having the same problem as the rest of us, and IMO is because your thinking to hard)

I notice I get lethargic about my own projects when I start thinking to much...

Whenever I start a new project, I'm not thinking about whether I'm bored or this or that. I have a general idea to what I want to do and accomplish and I just do it. I'm not worrying about anything. But then after about 2 weeks, the "thinking to hard" starts to creep in.

I'm working on some maps right now, and for a few days I got rather bored just doing small tweaks. So I just forced myself to start adding in large blocks of land and walls in the map and went back adding in smaller details.

Found out I completed half of the map (Level design only) in two days rather than the two weeks I spent agonizing about what to do next.

You have to do what any Coach does, force you to push yourself.
09-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

I think the problem with our motivation is that we feel an immediate need to act on even the tiniest hints of inspiration. We're afraid to waste the opportunity and consume it as soon as it peeks out. When it inevitably runs scarce, we feel frustrated, which puts us into a counterproductive state of mind.

Promise yourself to work on the map during a certain time every day, for example from 6:00 to 6:30, and never deviate from the schedule. It will be hard at first because you won't feel inspired to do anything. Work on it anyway, no matter how unproductive the work is.

Occasionally, you'll get a rush of inspiration by the end of your session. That is precisely what you want. If it happens and you're out of time, don't keep working - walk away and continue on the next day, no matter how much you want to keep at it.

By doing this, you will always have ideas the next time you start working, which will eventually make you more and more productive. Instead of wasting your inspiration, you will be cultivating it.

Eventually you might want to increase your work time as you become more productive. Just make sure you don't overdo it and burn yourself out. If you feel burnt out, reduce the time.

^(;,;)^
09-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(09-02-2014, 09:07 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I think the problem with our motivation is that we feel an immediate need to act on even the tiniest hints of inspiration. We're afraid to waste the opportunity and consume it as soon as it peeks out. When it inevitably runs scarce, we feel frustrated, which puts us into a counterproductive state of mind.

Promise yourself to work on the map during a certain time every day, for example from 6:00 to 6:30, and never deviate from the schedule. It will be hard at first because you won't feel inspired to do anything. Work on it anyway, no matter how unproductive the work is.

Occasionally, you'll get a rush of inspiration by the end of your session. That is precisely what you want. If it happens and you're out of time, don't keep working - walk away and continue on the next day, no matter how much you want to keep at it.

By doing this, you will always have ideas the next time you start working, which will eventually make you more and more productive. Instead of wasting your inspiration, you will be cultivating it.

Eventually you might want to increase your work time as you become more productive. Just make sure you don't overdo it and burn yourself out. If you feel burnt out, reduce the time.

I always feel like I need to be productive.

I don't like being unproductive. So I'll work a lot on my stuff. Productive or not. Can it become too much?

Trying is the first step to success.
09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Find