Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Pre-Main Menu crash.
Lyon Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Pre-Main Menu crash.

Okay, here's the deal. I bought Penumbra Black Plague from Direct 2 Drive, installed it without a hitch, activated it, all the usual mumbo jumbo. Then I tried to play it. Here's what happened. I got the Paradox and Frictional Games logos fading in, then fading out. And *then*, what I assumed was supposed to be the game's main logo fading in was, in fact, a large, white box. Then the game crashed with the "black box" message of: "Penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module", whatever the hell *that* means. It also says "Penumbra.exe at 001B:004EAB42" which, of course, tells me nothing. My graphics card is the Nvidia 8800 GT, and I have up to date sound and graphics drivers. Not only that, but I am unable to find any trace of a similar problem on this forum. As a side note, Overture worked perfectly first time, not a problem.

So, please, I would appreciate some help
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Pre-Main Menu crash.

Any chance you have played the demo or so of Black Plague previously and did it in another language than the english D2D version is?

Test and go to My Documents/Penumbra/Black Plague/ and delete the settings.cfg file, then start the game again and see if that fixes it.
03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Website Find
Lyon Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Pre-Main Menu crash.

Ah, interesting. How very odd. Yes, that did fix my problem, and yes, I vaguely recall the tutorial level, so I must have played the demo at some stage. Thanks heaps for the help. Seemed so simple, but I appreciate it all the same. Cheers.
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Find