Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

thanks for the tips guys, im gonna finish up a few last details soon and then try to figure out how to work UV maps and texturing (i watched a tutorial on doing UV maps but its was like half a year ago so u know)

im probably going to try unreal engine for this/all my later work by the way. HPL2 is a great start but its uh. kinda primitive. and i feel like im at a point where if i want to actually get better as an overall level designer its probably about time i move on soooooo

Posting Freak
07-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(07-26-2014, 02:44 AM)Kman Wrote: this is one of the only threads i care about dont let it die

anyways

heres a thing ive been working on for like a week and a half now in an attempt to try to learn how to use 3DS max. as a result its probably taken me 5 times longer to make than it would take most of the other people in this thread, but im still pretty happy with it so far (WIP obviously)

[Image: tumblr_n99rqrFjIb1s9e3m4o1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_n99rqrFjIb1s9e3m4o2_1280.png]

Good start. As to answer your question, it's totally okay to split the entire model into several parts. If you are planning on bringing it into amnesia, each model (export) can have a maximum of three parts (if I remember correctly!). You can however export the 'entire thing' in four parts for example; House_A, House_B, House_C etc. where House_C might be the streets and House_A might be the walls and sign (and so forth). So ultimately, just split away, if it makes the job more simple for you.

[Image: MwiGV4g.png]
You can work towards splitting the entire thing into 'modular pieces' or things which can share the same texture. As I've painted here. That will allow you to work with a higher resolution of textures at a lower performance cost. Dust,scratches etc. or unique things on the textures can look odd if repeated in a modular environment, so at some point you'll have to do a weigh-in between variation and performance.

Two, three and four in the picture might for example be flat planes showing the same textures. One and five could be 'modular pieces' (sort of like lego pieces) which you build the environment with.

Best of luck! I'll try to answer questions if you have any

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

07-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

(07-26-2014, 01:05 PM)Rapture Wrote: Not bad, find some reference though for your attack animations. The swingings of the arms is way to wide.
I understand that, and am going to update the video with fixed animations for attacks 1+2 (and maybe attack 3, if you detect any problems with it?), plus an animation for when he's breaking down a door, and maybe a notice animation (so movements will be similarly done to the Grunt or the Brute).

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
07-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(07-26-2014, 02:22 PM)Kman Wrote: thanks for the tips guys, im gonna finish up a few last details soon and then try to figure out how to work UV maps and texturing (i watched a tutorial on doing UV maps but its was like half a year ago so u know)

im probably going to try unreal engine for this/all my later work by the way. HPL2 is a great start but its uh. kinda primitive. and i feel like im at a point where if i want to actually get better as an overall level designer its probably about time i move on soooooo

Absolutely, UDK has all the bells and whistles you need to focus on design work without worrying too much about technical limitations, and I hear UE4 is even better for that.(even though you have to pay money)

Some resources to get you started, if you decide to do so:

Official documentation: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html
HourencesSadSome UE3 tuts are outdated, but still nice to read) http://www.hourences.com/tutorials/

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
07-27-2014, 05:35 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

Kman, I can say that UDK is a bit hard to use to start with, but once you learn the basics it just gets easier from there on in Smile

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
08-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Find
Echohalls Offline

Threads: 1

UDK is alright, I would NOT recommend Unity unless you want constant compiler errors and lots of bugs and glitches.
CryEngine 3 sdk is recommended since it is easy to use (you will need tutorials however) and It is quite worth it ^^
Source is a decent engine at most but is quite... complicated at first.

[Image: tumblr_mv57o0xppD1sx7cayo3_500.jpg]
Lord Of Tears - 2014
08-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

(08-03-2014, 05:21 AM)Echohalls Wrote: Source is a decent engine at most but is quite... complicated at first.

I've done a lot of stuff with Source in the past, got to know it very well, and was well on my way to making an FC with it... but I lost my patience with it because Valve kept making updates that broke my game. There're supposed to be locked off versions so you don't have to worry about that sort of thing, but they got updated too. I love lot of things that Valve have done, but I fell out of love with Source. After I finish my current HPL2 project, I'm going to look into both UDK and CryEngine.

grumble grumble shouldhavebeenworkingonhalflifethreeinsteadoftryingtobreakmymod grumble grumble grumble

08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Briefly tried to use source.

Engine kept breaking on me, then my L4D2 got corrupted somehow and just fell out of using that.

Never had that problem with UDK, main issue is hard to get into using, and a few technical quirks that are basically legacy code from earlier versions.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
08-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I've been recently taking a shot at pixel art, my most recent one is actually fan art for the twitch stream channel Vinesauce where one of the streamers was playing F-Zero X.

Spoiler below!
[Image: e7d663b3c62ad50bbbb77b18e05535ef2146e4cd.png]
The moose power thing is supposed to be "You got Boost Power!" but instead the streamer made a joke and repeated the phrase as "You got Moose Power!"
I do have other art, I just need to put em up somewhere.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
08-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Is that a chainsaw?
08-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Find