Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Acies Underwater effects
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
Acies Underwater effects

First off, a video of what is going on (1080p available):
http://youtu.be/pPFq8QBitFc

Video of Version 3 [Updated] (sorry about the video stutters, recorded it incorrectly. Available in 1440p!):
http://youtu.be/4WI1Fv_1g9Y

Basically the water effect is broken down into some pieces. It consists of a modified water layer, some fog, an image overlay (through insanity effects), some blur and a particle effect created at the position of the player (the bubbles). The rise out of water consists of an animated texture (billboard) bound to the player hands, which is then activated by lighting a pointlight and an overlay (insanity effects).

Since I can't rewrite shaders --> Make fog affect translucent materials (ergo water!) I had to do something else in order to better blend the translucent material and the background. This is where insanity effects come into play, as that is basically an image overlayed on top of the player screen (regardless of what the player is looking at!), so it can blend into translucent materials much alike fog!

Okay, time for comparison shots!
Click the images for a larger version
Spoiler below!

[Image: mraRlwQ.jpg]

This is how the game looks when you are slapping on the standard fog without an image overlay.

[Image: Wa1SE2Z.jpg]

This is how the game looks with a very dark (almost black) fog (no image overlay).

The following images have an image overlay

[Image: b7uzDmq.jpg]

This version has the brightest image overlay. It also has no fog at all. You can compare it to the look of the first image in order to see the difference in blending.

[Image: 42Xfx31.jpg]

This version has the brightest image overlay. Since we established earlier that having a very dark fog won't really interfere with blending we can include a very dark fog as well and it won't mess up our results badly.

These last images are two darker versions of the image overlay combined with a very dark fog:
Mid value overlay:
http://i.imgur.com/86LyXRh.jpg

Dark overlay:
http://i.imgur.com/Mt2KpAi.jpg

In summary:
By having a dark fog (pure black to very slightly colored) you can modify the 'vision distance' (changing the 'start' value of the fog. 'Vision distance' is also affected by the brightness of the image overlay). Combining that with the image overlay you can 'color' your underwater section to a tint you like. Using this method should provide better results than purely using a fog.

Other notes:
The 'coming out of water effect' is achieved by having a faint overlay image of some droplets fade away combined with an animated texture of drops (with refraction) going down across the screen. The animated drops need to be bound to the handmodel of the player, otherwise they wouldn't follow you as you move away after standing up.

In conclusion this means that
A. You need a full conversion mod to have the animated water drops when standing up
B. You need a full conversion mod to use the (insanity) image overlay effect
C. It is preferrable to have the AMFP patch to better control the insanity effects through scripting - but it can be done with the original patch; just some more lines of scripting
D. You need to include the custom assets I've made for this effect (credit to Traggey for the drops diffuse texture!)

Download:
V2.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2079...ffects.zip
V3. [Newest]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2079...cts_V3.zip
Spoiler below!

Changes:
- Added sound effects for when being under water
- Removed sound effects from 'insanity image overlay'
- Created a full conversion with the assets prepared
Version 3 basically includes the full-conversion, so if you don't have a full conversion setup just unpack this (make sure the ".bat" file is in the same folder as your amnesia.exe)! If you already have a full conversion - merge these assets with existing ones.

Things to think when adjusting:
1. The height of the player when ducking is by default 1.2, so the "ScriptArea_EnterWater" needs to be a little higher than this
2. Your_Full_Conversion_Folder\misc\main_sanity_events.cfg allows you to customize the color of the underwater overlay, and the 'get out of water' overlay. Open in a text editor and play around with the "FadeColor" values.
3. You can tint the dark fogarea in the water to a color you want (combined with tinting your underwater overlay image) in 2.
4. You can set a viewdistance underwater by adjusting the 'Start' and 'End' of the fogarea in the water.

Other than that, post questions etc. and I'll try to sort it out. Haven't done too much testing yet! If you find good setups for combining fogarea color and underwater overlay color; post the settings here with a screen!

Have fun!

Edit: If you simply add the assets I have provided into your fullconversion you should be ready to test it out right away. In case any of the assets I have provided interferes with your own custom assets, it's only a matter of 'merging' the assets (copying over the changes I have made into your own assets!).

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 11:46 PM by Acies.)
09-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Acies Underwater effects

what.

you are amazing.

i want this to be inside my map

SOMEHOW

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Find
Viper85626 Offline

Threads: 6

(09-30-2014, 09:04 PM)Streetboat Wrote: what.

you are amazing.

i want this to be inside my map

SOMEHOW

I just want this inside of me.
10-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

HAHAHAHAHHAhh wtff

back on topic, anyone tried this? I'd like to make some tests but I can't right now.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014, 08:29 PM by Daemian.)
10-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Find
Viper85626 Offline

(10-01-2014, 08:26 PM)Daemian Wrote: HAHAHAHAHHAhh wtff

back on topic, anyone tried this? I'd like to make some tests but I can't right now.

This effect makes me wet. PUNPUNPUNPUNPUNPUNPUN.

On topic: I'm planning to tonight when I get home. I'll report back later.
10-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Posting this here, in case anyone else has the same issue:
Spoiler below!

Icaab2608 Wrote:I do not have all the effects appear in the water(your tutorial:https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-26501.html):

In your full conversion, make sure that your 'resources.cfg.' has all of the custom folders added above the default ones.

Example:
<Directory Path="/aciestc/models" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/models" AddSubDirs="true" />

My custom folder is listed above the default one, therefore the game will look prioritize those assets first.

The particular example I showed is probably why you are not seeing the 'water flow over eyes'.

Cheers!

10-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Not nesscascery!
Here is how it works for me;
Spoiler below!

Quote:<Resources>
<Directory Path="/Premonition" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/shader_test" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/core_Premonition" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/Premonition_misc" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/billboards" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/commentary" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/entities" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/flashbacks" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/gui" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/lights" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/main_menu" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/maps" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/music" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/particles" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/textures" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/shaders" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/sounds" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/static_objects" AddSubDirs="true" />
<Directory Path="/viewer" AddSubDirs="true" />

</Resources>

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM by DnALANGE.)
10-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

Awesome ! Is it possible to modify the sound in an "underwater" way ?

Oh, and what effects from here can you use without making a full conversion ?

10-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Find
Viper85626 Offline

(10-06-2014, 04:30 PM)Darkfire Wrote: Awesome ! Is it possible to modify the sound in an "underwater" way ?

Oh, and what effects from here can you use without making a full conversion ?

In the video Acies posted, it actually does sound sort of underwater.
10-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Updated the main post with a newer version which includes some sounds while underwater, as well as a 'ready' fullconversion setup. Video of it available at the top, cheers!

10-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Find