Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

black plague.. machine room bug
noodles385 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago black plague.. machine room bug

Hi to all.Big Grin:

I'm playing Penumbra Black Plague and having problems when entering the machine room. As a matter of fact I noticed that when I enter the machine room, after passing the automatical doors, I have no more need of the gas mask even if the valve (the one on the right with the red light above) is still open. I read some walkthroughs and you can put off the mask only after closing the valve with the computer terminal.
Is this a bug? I have the game unpatched. So can I solve this problem with the patch? If not, is there another solution? Thanks a lot in advance for your help. Bye.

PS: I've read the list of fixes of the patch 1.01 and found this:

-Added alternate solutions to puzzle in level 2 & Level 4.
-Corrected portal setting in Level 01.
-No longer possible to be pushed outside of level when coming to level 03 from level 01.
-Added "collide character" to electric locker in Level 01.
-The alarm sound is not triggered if player has already locked himself in the room, level 19.
-Door04 is now locked in Level 7 during the intro sequence.
-Fixed minor glitch during an event in Level 7.
-The hand is not able to fall down the hole in Level 10.

what do level 1,2,3,4,.. mean? how I can see what level I'm playing?
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: black plague.. machine room bug

If you are totally unpatched (meaning, no patches at all) you'll have to install one of the patches so that you can even finish the game, so I recomend you to do so right away!

04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Website Find
noodles385 Offline

(04-21-2009, 04:02 PM)Scraper Wrote: If you are totally unpatched (meaning, no patches at all) you'll have to install one of the patches so that you can even finish the game, so I recomend you to do so right away!

I've just patched the game.
I've noticed that I can put off the gas mask even with the patch installed and even with changing the sequence of the places I've visited: I've tried to go to the machine room directly after visiting the storage in which you find the gas mask but nothing.. In my original saved game I visited armory-storage-computer central-infirmary-machine room, while in the second one I tried the sequence armory-storage-machine room.. but the problem is always there.

Do I have to restart the game from the beginning in order to solve this problem? Or do you advice of continuing it? By continuing, will I be able to finish the game?
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I can't really answer you're question about the gas mask, so need to wait Thomas or Jens...

But about the game:
You can finish the game, I think, since the patch fixes the only bug that everyone have with non-patched game that will crash the game at one point.
But if you can live with the gas mask 'bug', I guess you shouldn't face no more bigger problems with the game, since you patched it.

Oh, and one more question:
What version of the game did you bought? The downloadable version (Direct2Drive etc., other sites) or boxed version?

There are different patches for both of those...

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM by Ano.)
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Website Find
noodles385 Offline

(04-21-2009, 07:13 PM)Scraper Wrote: I can't really answer you're question about the gas mask, so need to wait Thomas or Jens...

But about the game:
You can finish the game, I think, since the patch fixes the only bug that everyone have with non-patched game that will crash the game at one point.
But if you can live with the gas mask 'bug', I guess you shouldn't face no more bigger problems with the game, since you patched it.

Oh, and one more question:
What version of the game did you bought? The downloadable version (Direct2Drive etc., other sites) or boxed version?

There are different patches for both of those...

Sorry, sorry, sorry...

My mistake. I have just discovered that is not a bug at all. Actually I believed the valve would stop the gas in the machine room, but in the machine room there's no gas at all and this is the explanation of why I could put off the gas mask without any problem. Indeed the function of the valve is not for the machine room but for the corridor out of the machine room, the one after the automatical doors.. In fact, once I closed the valve, I could go out of the machine room without the gas mask.. Stupid me. I'm really sorry.

However I've got the boxed version and I have downloaded this patch:

http://support.frictionalgames.com/entry/70/

Thank you for your help. Bye.
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

(04-21-2009, 04:02 PM)Scraper Wrote: If you are totally unpatched (meaning, no patches at all) you'll have to install one of the patches so that you can even finish the game, so I recomend you to do so right away!
Just want to clarify that it is very possible to finish it without installing a patch, the crash only happens if some doors are broken in a certain map.

That said, installing the patch is a very good idea since it fixes alot of stuff and in case the crash situation appears.

As for the strangeness, not sure what it might be. But have not heard of anybody reporting anything similar before. Even so, as Scraper said, if it is a bug then it should not cause any further problems.
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Find
noodles385 Offline

(04-22-2009, 10:32 AM)Thomas Wrote:
Just want to clarify that it is very possible to finish it without installing a patch, the crash only happens if some doors are broken in a certain map.

That said, installing the patch is a very good idea since it fixes alot of stuff and in case the crash situation appears.

As for the strangeness, not sure what it might be. But have not heard of anybody reporting anything similar before. Even so, as Scraper said, if it is a bug then it should not cause any further problems.

Hi thomas.
In the last post I've explained that is not a bug at all but a stupid mistake made by me. Read above and you'll understand. Thank you and bye.
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Ah, Guessed I missed that! Glad it was no bug Smile

Hope you enjoy the rest of the game!
04-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Find