Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Plan to use PhysX?
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Plan to use PhysX?

(05-11-2009, 06:08 PM)Thomas Wrote: Newton also have some upcoming features that will make it support hardware accelerations.

Up til now we have not considered using PhysX since it does not support Mac or Linux.

Don't know about Mac but PhysX supports Linux (at least it did when Ageia was on command of it). :undecided:

But no don't use PhysX if Newton does it job well.
05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Find
Shados Offline

Threads: 0

(05-21-2009, 08:08 PM)Scraper Wrote: Hopefully you don't use PhysX, since ATI's card work lot weaker when there's PhysX...
For example: Mirror's Edge.
Works perfectly on NVIDIA's card with everything maxed out but when you put even more powerful ATI's graphics card than NVIDIA's is, it stops working so good and frame rate drops a lot, since ATI doesn't support PhysX.
It's because when you run PhysX while you have an ATI GPU, you're actually running it on your CPU.

I'm one of the ones with an ATI GPU. I haven't really found a use for PhysX unless you either want to alienate more than half of your fans or want to have "pretty" useless particles flying around.
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Oh, by the way:

One day, I was searching through Google that is they're way to get that lagging without the PhysX on Mirror's Edge with ATI's graphics card.
And yes, there is! Install the 1.0.1 patch...
It works! Smile:

06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Website Find
KaZz Offline

Threads: 0

(06-08-2009, 11:03 PM)Shados Wrote: I'm one of the ones with an ATI GPU. I haven't really found a use for PhysX unless you either want to alienate more than half of your fans or want to have "pretty" useless particles flying around.

I have an Nvidia GPU. And I neither found a use for physx Wink:. The nvidia-demos are really "cool", but...using PhysX on one game (Mirror Edge, for example) What change? What's better with PhysX? Or Silent Hill 5. Was really neccesary use PhysX on a game like that? Pfff...it's just marketing. Maybe PhysX it's a big step forward on physics calculation, maybe not. But for the moment, Me don't like it and i think it's useless. Maybe in a near future the things could be differents... xD

Cheers!
01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

It also depends, there are some experimental games using PhysX as the core game mechanic. Warmongers is one of them. In that game, blowing up buildings is one of the main features, and it needs PhysX Hardware Acceleration to work properly.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12

Cryostasis used hardware accelerated physx to alter it's gameplay. A water cannon weapon that when fired was all physx calculations and ice sickles all over the game could either be broken at will or collected to be used as ammo for the ice cannon.

A GPU-hardware based physics solution (be it physx or some other implementation) in Amnesia would be really, really cool.
(05-22-2009, 02:33 PM)Scraper Wrote: I know that. And I said ATI doesn't support it... Wink:

It's not a feature required to play the game. While software physx isn't as pretty, it doesn't ruin the gameplay experience vs. GPU based physx.

I personally would love to see physx in this game as it would add to the effects/atmosphere. I know ATI users can't do hardware physx, but they'd still be able to play the game with the hardware physx effects off.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM by hackvcs.)
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Find