Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Redwood Falls (Cancelled Project)
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Redwood Falls (Cancelled Project)

What are you're thoughts about project called 'Redwood Falls'?

Looks like an interesting game, however, the project was cancelled...
In the following video, there is gameplay footage that shows the project which was made by 8 guys in 4 months.

Here's a link to the video!

05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Redwood Falls (Cancelled Project)

Looks nice, but hated the perspective. Looked like the player was holding himself and his weapon before a TV screen.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Oh, it was called Redwood Falls?
The trailer was put up on Youtube named something like "Alan Wake Gameplay" and sparked tons of rumors that it was first-person gameplay from Alan Wake. Did seem likely since the monsters appearance was completely cut.
I loved the trailer, too bad it was cancelled. The graphics seem nice - especially the snowstorm which I loved and I actually love that the hands are so close to the camera. That's realistic, in most games (say, Half Life 2) you walk around with holding your pistol half a meter from your face and still hit your targets perfectly. Too bad the arms didn't move around more when he turned around and such, though that could had been added later. The sound of the character stepping in the snow is lovely aswell, I love that sound during winter but unfortunately I haven't had a lot of snow the past few winters.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Sad, it looked good, i wonder whether the enemy drew critiscism for looking like the Dead Space necromorphs.
HOpefully, at best, they will release an alpha of it.

Not an image
05-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Tommy Gun:
That game was from 2007. So, if something, then Dead Space should have taken critic from looking the same. Wink:

Kedjane:
I think that I watched the same video from YouTube than you did. It was 'Leaked Alan Wake gameplay' or something similar but then on the 'more info', it said that it was lie and that the game was this.
Footsteps were great, yes!

I loved the part when the monster jumped off the roof and turned around and started to stare straight at you and then screams. Those few seconds were so awesome since I didn't waited anything much from the video and it was realistic, since the monster looked you're reaction.

05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Website Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Hey, I suggest you guys look closer at their webpage. Some pretty nice videos there. A video demonstrating a model damage system that looks pretty awesome, I've been waiting for something like it for years now, I hate it when you just get a tiny bloodstain on the exact spot you were shot and then nothing else. Too bad the game was cancelled.
Some pretty interesting stuff in the .pdf file aswell. Could definately had been an interesting game gameplay-wise but the story did seem unoriginal and monster design was largely pretty standard, so I'm guessing that's why it was cancelled.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

If you read the page, it says at the beginning:

'In summer 2006 I was asked, along with Kuju's technical director (Sean Murray) to try and turn some new organic body damage technology that we had developed for PS3 into a viable game idea. The plan was to then turn this idea into a demo to pitch to publishers in Spring 2007. The result was a project called "Redwood Falls".'

So, I guess they didn't even decide to do it more than that... Don't know, but I guess.

05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Hehe, woops.

Shame it didn't end up as ap ublished copy,,, damn those corporate fat cats! Big Grin:

Not an image
05-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Find
slapnutz Offline

Threads: 1

(05-22-2009, 02:53 PM)Scraper Wrote: If you read the page, it says at the beginning:

So, I guess they didn't even decide to do it more than that... Don't know, but I guess.

Also, if you read the end...

"Unfortunately even after all that hard work, this project didn't work out.
Kuju Entertainment was bought in Jan 2007. The new owners business vision was to focus on development services and not IP creation.
They could see that finishing the demo to the stage 1 art and tech demo as being a worth while sales tool but they wouldn't fund further development of the game design."

It also sucks because ....
"This entire demo was created by 8 people in 4 months, imagine what we could have done with more time!"
06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Find