Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Is Penumbra Collection on DVD patched?
wkduffy Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Is Penumbra Collection on DVD patched?

Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question. Are there files I could look for in my install (on any of the games) that would help me determine this on my own, or does 'someone' in the know...well, know? I don't want to have to fiddle with patches that are not needed.

Thanks!
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Is Penumbra Collection on DVD patched?

I don't think they're patched on the DVD... Though, I don't own the collection of the games so I cannot be sure.

06-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Website Find
wkduffy Offline

Well, the install from the DVD Penumbra Collection puts all the games in a separate folder "Penumbra Collection" (C:/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Penumbra Collection/Overture [or] Black Plague [etc.]...). For patches, the installer says the appropriate folder does not exist (for example, for Overture it defaults to C:\Program Files\Penumbra\Episode 1) and asks if the folder should be created. Will this work? Where exactly should these patches be installed then?

Sorry to be boneheaded, but this is not entirely clear to me.
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Ah, my bad. I understood the question wrong. Smile:

But for you're question:
The path it tries to install the patches is the original path for the game, if you've bought only Overture in separate box.
And I guess it's the same thing with Black Plague and the path, yes?

I have that path as original in my installation of Overture.
Just install the patches where ever you like and then run them. It doesn't matter where you've installed them. (If you like, you can delete them after you've installed and runned them.)
But before you run them, make sure you install the game first that the patch is made for. Wink:

They're useful.
For example, without patch, you cannot finish Black Plague at all.
Known bug with all the Black Plague games around the world... (Don't know about the downloadable version though.)
And in case you're using ATI's HD graphics card drivers, you'll have to install patch for Overture. It fixes the graphic bugs.

But are the patches the latest?
For Overture it's version 1.0.3.
For Black Plague, I can't remember, but if Overture is the latest, then I guess Black Plague is as well.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2009, 02:30 AM by Ano.)
06-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Website Find
wkduffy Offline

OK, thanks for the info. My original Q was whether or not I have to patch the Penumbra Collection on DVD at all, or if it came prepatched. (Because it was newly released, I would think they would be the latest already-patched versons, but maybe not.) But now I get how the patches work with these games. For other PC games, you patch them (which overwrites some files in the game directory), but you still use the original exe to run the game. But it sounds like in this case the patches run separately and can be installed anywhere. So I am assuming you start up the game, and then run the patch separately. And yes, I do have the latest patches.

But if anyone does know if the newly released collection on DVD is already prepatched, please let me know. I am sort of surprsied this info isn't more easily obtained or more clearly advertised.
Spoke too soon. Installed patches, game won't run (says to insert original CD. Clearly the existing patches are meant for the original box game--not the NEW DVD collection.)

Again: Is the newly released Penumbra Collection on DVD already prepatched? If not, how/where do you install existing patches to work with the Penumbra Collection on DVD? Anyone know for sure?
Sorry to be a pain. I may have answered my own Q. Closely examined/compared files in the patch folders (for both games) and in the game folder on my fresh DVD install, and it appears as though The Penumbra Collection on DVD is indeed prepatched (the patch is already in place). For example, in Overture, the changelog.txt files in my fresh DVD installation includes notes on the 1.0.3 patch, same as the changelog.txt file in the patch folder itself I downloaded. I cannot find a changelog.txt file in the Black Plague folder, but I assume that if one of the games has been prepatched, the other should be as well.

But if i'm mistaken and somone knows better, pls. let me know.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2009, 03:59 AM by hiroru.)
06-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

The collection is already patched so do not install any of the patches currently available.
06-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Website Find
wkduffy Offline

Got it. THANKS!
06-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Hah! xD
Now my thoughts about the patching went totally upside down. First I was thinking the thing that Jens said and thought that I understood the question wrong but now it turned out that first I was thinking the right thing, but was currently wrong since they were patched on the DVD, and then I started to explain something else...

06-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Website Find