Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture crashes at last level the bright hydralic door you use crowbar on
DeM0nFiRe Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture crashes at last level the bright hydralic door you use crowbar on

Hey, sorry I cannot post my HPL log because I have already fixed my problem and continued playing so my log has been erased already. I figured that uninstalling and not allowing that update would do it from this post: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...6#pid24526

Is that update that's been happening on steam not official, or something?

EDIT: To the FrictionalGames staff who was unable to reproduce it, I just wanted to make sure that we are clear that this problem should happen only on the steam version, as it seems to be caused by an update that steam installs automatically, unless you disable those automatic updates. If you are still unable to reproduce the bug, let me know and I will generate an appropriate HPL log. I made sure that before I reinstalled the game, I created a back up of the 'bad' copy of the game, so I should be able to restore it and reproduce the error.
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Find
Navagon Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture crashes at last level the bright hydralic door you use crowbar on

I have exactly the same problem. How do you stop the game being updated through Steam? Even when I state that I don't want it kept up to date it installs the patch anyway before launching the game (Steam has some serious, serious problems. But that's another debate).
07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Find
Tomtom5 Offline

manually installing the 1.03 patch fixes the problem for me. you can get that patch here:

http://support.frictionalgames.com/entry/77/

The patch does not automatically find the correct installation path. your installation path should be something like

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\penumbra overture

I have the steam version. I did NOT switch off auto updates on steam, just installed the patch then completed the game. Setting everything to minimum / off in the graphics and sound options did not help, deleting the settings.cfg did not help. I have a Soundblaster X-Fi and nVidia 8800GTX (so no ATI card). Since the patch overwrote the old install I have no crash log to post.
07-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Could anyone with the crash upload their saved game from just before trying to open the door?

It might have something to do with using an old save with the new version, so we just want to check this.
07-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Website Find
Navagon Offline

(07-03-2009, 06:53 AM)Tomtom5 Wrote: manually installing the 1.03 patch fixes the problem for me. you can get that patch here:

http://support.frictionalgames.com/entry/77/

The patch does not automatically find the correct installation path. your installation path should be something like

I have the steam version. I did NOT switch off auto updates on steam, just installed the patch then completed the game. Setting everything to minimum / off in the graphics and sound options did not help, deleting the settings.cfg did not help. I have a Soundblaster X-Fi and nVidia 8800GTX (so no ATI card). Since the patch overwrote the old install I have no crash log to post.

Thanks. Patching the game manually seems to have worked.
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Find
ReNo Offline

(07-03-2009, 07:44 AM)jens Wrote: Could anyone with the crash upload their saved game from just before trying to open the door?

It might have something to do with using an old save with the new version, so we just want to check this.

Think this should be the save file I'm using. I've not installed the patch manually as per the recommended fix yet, but will do later on.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM by jens.)
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Find
SPECTRE Offline

Same Problem Files Attached
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM by jens.)
07-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Find
marky1124 Offline

Same problem. Bought via Steam. Hit this door opening bug. I've tried both Windows 7 and Windows XP. I've tried the original OpenAL that came with the game, plus I've tried upgrading that to the latest from the OpenAL site, it called itself Summer 2009 version.

Next I'm going to manually install the v1.0.3 update, but just before I do here are the crash files.

BTW - Good game. Been enjoying it. I've decided to view this hiccup as a final game challenge before the finish ;-)

All the best,
Cheers,
Mark
07-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Find
Zstar20 Offline

I have exactly the same problem, can't seem to find the way around it and the patch doesn't help me either, is there anything else I could do?
07-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Find
marky1124 Offline

(07-06-2009, 03:31 AM)Zstar20 Wrote: I have exactly the same problem, can't seem to find the way around it and the patch doesn't help me either, is there anything else I could do?

Manually installing v1.0.3 worked for me with my Steam installation of Penumbra Overture. One thing to watch out for though is when you choose the installation directory make sure that the location shown is correct. Assuming the standard C: steam installation location you'd want

as shown above. Note that the patch installer will add \Epsiode1 onto the end given a chance. It might be worth double checking that the patch installed to the correct directory.

By the time I installed the v1.0.3 patch I'd already installed the latest OpenAL version 6.14.357.24 (download). I've no idea whether that was necessary or not.

I hope that helps,
Cheers,
Mark
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009, 08:06 AM by Klesk Reaver.)
07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Find