Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer Motivation?
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
Thumbs Up  Developer Motivation?

Hello, I'm quite new here!
I've loved Amnesia since it's release and am digging everything about it. I love finding new ways to ... fix a mesh, shorten a code, enhance my level design skills, or lighting...

Yet a lot of my friends like some of my unfinished work, but are not into the process of making it. That's the reason I'm loosing motivation, because I can't talk about my project to anyone. That's why I decided to visit this forum.

For example I recently managed to make a custom monster in Blender and put it successfully into the game with animations all by myself, without any tutorials. It was huge for me, yet I couldn't share it with anyone who would understand. This is what I want to do.

So I would love to here you'r motivation related stories, or where you share your progress if you do. I'm also willing to cooperate with some of you if you want.

Hope I'm writing this in right category, if not, I'm sorry. xD
12-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Developer Motivation?

They lack enthusiasm - maybe you should bring more about the whole concept, that an Amnesia Custom Story is under question, and if the story doesn't have much planned content yet, you should invent something. But before you do that, an important thing is how well they know Amnesia generally, how do they feel about the game and mechanics. Maybe Amnesia isn't their cup of tea in the first place.
12-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

If you want to find like-minded people then this is the right place. Despite being small community there are many very experienced Amnesia modders here.

I recommend you to make screenshots and videos showcasing your work. People like that stuff.
I also moved your thread from off-topic to the modding section. Take a look around there, you may find something useful.

12-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Website Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

I have the same problem. No one understands why I would spend an entire year of my life devoted to something I can't even make money off of. My mother makes sure I understand that she thinks it's a waste of time and potential pretty much every day, so I can't catch a break from her, much less from any of my friends, who just genuinely couldn't be arsed to give a crap about it.

As the others have said, if you're looking for motivation, this is the perfect place to help you, but really, and this is going to sound corny as hell, if you want to do something because you enjoy doing it... you really shouldn't give two shits about what anyone else has to say about it. And as far as enthusiasm is concerned, you're the only one who can get what you want done, so why should anyone else's level of enthusiasm matter? Smile

What it comes down to, is not whether or not your friends are into it. It's whether or not you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, then it's something you can take pride in, and enjoy for yourself, and eventually you'll find friends, even if it's just one or two, who enjoy the same kinds of things as you, including your interests in modding.

So if you're looking for motivation... maybe commit yourself to a project that you intend to finish and put it up on ModDB and here on Frictional Games. The people there and here are always looking out for the next best custom story or full conversion, and it's nice and motivation-driving to see comments that are from people who are excited to play, or like what they see. I have my own work up on ModDB, and I'm pretty sure I would have quit forever ago if it weren't for some people being so nice and excited for my work. :'D

12-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I find it easier to write my thoughts down (If you have something really cool in your head, write it down. Don't wait until tomorrow or later, because it will be radically different by the time you write it down or worse, you will forget it) before and during development.

While your in development, look at your notes and follow them to the letter. Don't like something or you're finding yourself chewing off something bigger than you initially thought? Scratch it out and rewrite it, but always stick to the written plan you currently have.
12-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

When I want motivation I just read my reviews in moddb :>

12-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

Hello guys, thank you all for your response.
I'm now back on track and am making a little portfolio to post here. Smile
12-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Find
LeahTh Offline

Threads: 4

I have horrible bouts of writer's block, so when I do, I try to sit down and either play some other games for a little bit or switch to another aspect of design.

My close friend/ co-producer is my main motivation. She's really good with people so she was able to make a lot of my dreams for the game become a reality!

Current Stories-
Amnesia: Ma Vie - beginning with coding, collecting VAs
Amnesia: Mon Cœur - yet to begin development
12-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

I find watching the behind-the-scenes documentaries on my favorite movies or shows really inspires me creatively.

Or, in instance of working specifically with custom stories, I pick a room and sit in it and just feel it out: what's missing, what feels right and should be expanded on further, what do I hope to achieve with this room, etc.

12-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Find
Omenapuu Offline

Threads: 8

This might sound like "copying" but for the level editor things, as AGP said you can for example sit in a room, and that way works for me aswell. OR if it doesn't fit you, I recommend playing other stories that other people made, and you can learn new things, or get inspired by the story. I'm not saying to copypaste the things exactly, but to improve yours with them and modify them to your story in it's own way. Actually my "beginning" motivation to making a cs was by playing other custom stories, and I feel like I chose right when I started doing this.. Good way to spend a time, you become more creative as you progress Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 01:30 AM by Omenapuu.)
12-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Find