Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Lack of interaction in Requiem
welshofdave Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Lack of interaction in Requiem

Just started Requiem and I have a few issues.

While I can drag blocks around, etc, I don't get the little eye icon for anything. I can't examine the switches, or the corpse, etc.
The books I pick up don't tell me anything and I can't read them.
Despite getting the sparkly sphere thing from across the bridge, I can't use it or the portal.

I eventually gave in and looked at a youtube video of the first level and all sorts of things are examine-able, and the books give some backstory when picked up, etc.

I get a lot of warnings and errors in hpl.log, e.g.

WARNING: Could not find language file category 'RequiemMenu'
Loading collada for 'expansion01/maps/level01.dae' took: 1395 ms
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'particle_imp_dirt.ps'
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'particle_imp_dirt.ps'

Full hpl.log attached.
07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Find
welshofdave Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Lack of interaction in Requiem

/bump

Not even the developers can comment on this? Is there a way to get support other than this forum?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM by FreeBooteR.)
07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

could you send me your settings.cfg in the .frictionalgames/Penumbra/Requiem directory??

Most all of those message show up in my log when I run the first requiem level.. Except for the Missing language ones. I need to try and re-create this on my machine if possible.

Have you tried running at a lower resolution to see if the mouse cursor shows up?

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-31-2009, 05:12 AM
Website Find
welshofdave Offline

(07-31-2009, 05:12 AM)Urkle Wrote: could you send me your settings.cfg in the .frictionalgames/Penumbra/Requiem directory??

Most all of those message show up in my log when I run the first requiem level.. Except for the Missing language ones. I need to try and re-create this on my machine if possible.

Have you tried running at a lower resolution to see if the mouse cursor shows up?

Hi, Urkle, and thanks.

I changed the resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 and it's still the same. It's not that there's no mouse cursor at all - I get the hand to interact with blocks and things, but no eye to examine.

settings.cfg attached. I had to call it settings.log because the forum said "The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.".
07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It sounds as though the installation is broken, if the game can't find the file containing the text it won't show any interaction/examine options and it won't play any voices either.

Perhaps try to reinstall the game or if you know that you edited some file by hand or some other change not normally done, then undo it if possible.
07-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Website Find
welshofdave Offline

(07-31-2009, 08:35 AM)jens Wrote: It sounds as though the installation is broken, if the game can't find the file containing the text it won't show any interaction/examine options and it won't play any voices either.

Perhaps try to reinstall the game or if you know that you edited some file by hand or some other change not normally done, then undo it if possible.

Hi,

I've already tried that (/usr/local/games/PenumbraCollection.2/) and it acts the same.

If I look for various files that it complains about in hpl.log then they appear to be there, e.g.

$ find /usr/local/games/PenumbraCollection -type f -name particle_imp_dirt_hard.ps
/usr/local/games/PenumbraCollection/Overture/particles/particle_imp_dirt_hard.ps
$

I can show you the output of it running under strace if that helps? (7.2M zipped)
07-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

the particle_imp error shows up on my install as well. Specifically we are looking at why the game isn't finding your language file.

Also did you send me the Requiem/settings.cfg? If so, it looks like you settings.cfg is screwed up.

It has the wrong GlobalScript, and the wrong Language file. Please delete your Requiem/settings.cfg that is in your home directory and re-run requiem (so it copies over requiem_default_settings.cfg from the game directory)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Website Find
welshofdave Offline

(07-31-2009, 01:27 PM)Urkle Wrote: the particle_imp error shows up on my install as well. Specifically we are looking at why the game isn't finding your language file.

Also did you send me the Requiem/settings.cfg? If so, it looks like you settings.cfg is screwed up.

It has the wrong GlobalScript, and the wrong Language file. Please delete your Requiem/settings.cfg that is in your home directory and re-run requiem (so it copies over requiem_default_settings.cfg from the game directory)

Thank you. It didn't copy over the default settings file but I did it myself (and tweaked the <Screen... settings ) and it's working now.
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Find