Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Help There are no texts!
Shylia Offline

Threads: 3
Sad  There are no texts!

Why can't I see text and descriptions?

I've tried adding Text to objects and doors like, if you look at a door it can say "Locked" on the screen. But no matter what I do, not matter how correct it is, it will not work for me. I can't read notes, I can't see descriptions, I can't see text on doors.

my LANG file
Spoiler below!
<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">Welcome, fine Resident. We hope you enjoy your stay.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="TheUnderbelly">To The Underbelly</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Messages">
<Entry Name="ActOne">Act One: Stone Walls...</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

And my HPS file.
Spoiler below!
void OnStart()
{
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "Act1", "Welcome1", true, 1);
}

void OldMusicPlay1(string &in asEntity, int alState)
{
if(alState == 1)
{
PlaySoundAtEntity("Old_Music", "OldMusic1.snt", "OldMusic1", 0, false);
}
}

void Welcome1(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
StopSound("Old_Music", 2.0);
PlaySoundAtEntity("", "ambience_haunting.snt", "Player", 2.0, false);
SetMessage("Messages", "ActOne", 5.0);
}

This thing is driving me nuts!
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: There are no texts!

Is your lang and/or script file properly formatted? I see no obvious errors, so I can only assume the issue is outside the contents. Have you enabled all extensions and did you use a proper coding program to create the file?

01-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Find
Shylia Offline

(01-08-2015, 09:03 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Is your lang and/or script file properly formatted? I see no obvious errors, so I can only assume the issue is outside the contents. Have you enabled all extensions and did you use a proper coding program to create the file?

The CS description works perfectly, but not in-game. Why?!
01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Find
Lizard Offline

Threads: 23

As I understand, your problem is you dont have any text on your notes and no text is showing when you look at doors,

For what I can see in your lang file, you dont have it set up to show anything.

here is a few steps/things you can try.

1. To make a door show where it leads to. If you click on a door and goes to its entity tab there is something called TextEntry, write something in there ex. Door1. Then go you lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="Door1">Hallway</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Now the door will show that it leads to the hallways

2. To get a door to tell you that it is locked. At the bottom of the doors entity tab there is something called LockedTextCat and LockedTextEntry. they are used to show a message when you click on a locked door, ex.

Write LockedDoors in LockedTextCat and Door1 in LockedTextEntry. Then go to you lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="LockedDoors">
<Entry Name="Door1">Locked</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Now the door will tell you that it is locked when you click on it

NOTES:

Click on a note and go to its entity tab and at bottom you see something called NoteText.

ex. write Note1 in the NoteText box and then go to your lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Note1_Name">Name of the when the player reads the note</Entry> ex Note From Creator
<Entry Name="Note_Note1_Text">What the note should say</Entry> ex Hope you enjoy my CS</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Hope you can make use for this

CURRENT PROJECT:
A Fathers Secret == Just started
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM by Lizard.)
01-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Find
Shylia Offline

(01-09-2015, 01:23 PM)ZereboO Wrote: As I understand, your problem is you dont have any text on your notes and no text is showing when you look at doors,

For what I can see in your lang file, you dont have it set up to show anything.

here is a few steps/things you can try.

1. To make a door show where it leads to. If you click on a door and goes to its entity tab there is something called TextEntry, write something in there ex. Door1. Then go you lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="Door1">Hallway</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Now the door will show that it leads to the hallways

2. To get a door to tell you that it is locked. At the bottom of the doors entity tab there is something called LockedTextCat and LockedTextEntry. they are used to show a message when you click on a locked door, ex.

Write LockedDoors in LockedTextCat and Door1 in LockedTextEntry. Then go to you lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="LockedDoors">
<Entry Name="Door1">Locked</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Now the door will tell you that it is locked when you click on it

NOTES:

Click on a note and go to its entity tab and at bottom you see something called NoteText.

ex. write Note1 in the NoteText box and then go to your lang file and add this

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Note1_Name">Name of the when the player reads the note</Entry> ex Note From Creator
<Entry Name="Note_Note1_Text">What the note should say</Entry> ex Hope you enjoy my CS</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

Hope you can make use for this

That is just it, I have done all of this! I followed a guide on how to do it, everything is exactly as the tutorial, but no it doesn't work! I am so confused, you're all saying it should work but it doesnt!
01-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Hmm, how about this then. Download another custom story, then steal their extra_english.lang (that I assume is working) and then edit it carefully. If possible, just place it in your story, then go to one of their notes and JUST edit the text and name of the note. Try to see if that works.

01-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Find
Shylia Offline

(01-09-2015, 03:56 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Hmm, how about this then. Download another custom story, then steal their extra_english.lang (that I assume is working) and then edit it carefully. If possible, just place it in your story, then go to one of their notes and JUST edit the text and name of the note. Try to see if that works.

That didn't work either, I don't even get the "You must find a lantern first" message when I try to use the Lantern.

My entire project has halted because of this, it's driving me Arkenstone mad.
01-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

That lantern message comes from your main language file. It's a hint.
I don't know what happened there, but try these options below to solve your problem:
  • (1) Restore your language files
    Attached, I included my own language files.
    base_english.zip goes inside [game_dir]\config\. Unzip&replace there.
    english.zip goes inside [game_dir]\config\lang_main. Unzip&replace there.

• (2) Check your config
    Enter the game, go to options and set your language to English. (If it's not the language you want, put back yours later.)

• (3) Remove duplicates
    Some mods include their own version of the language files. To make the game ignore them you gotta remove their entry from your resources.cfg file (if it's there).
    OR delete/compress those mods' folders to hide their files from the game.

• (4) Check your files
    If your mod is a custom story you just need a simple extra_english.lang which extends the originals. There you may add your entries for your mod.

But if your mod is a full conversion you gotta include an english.lang instead and work in there. All your stuff goes in there. You may wanna use a copy of the original english.lang and remove the content and leave the structure.
    You may also need a base_english.lang I think (you'll know if you need it.)

These three files should replace the originals, ergo if they have missing entries those won't appear in-game. Like the lantern hint. So just keep it in mind.

• (5)Check your map/script files.
    You may be working on a copy of your level and testing on another with similar name.
    Same with your script/language file. Make sure it's unique and the one you want.
    Check your text editor too, it may be loading another file.

I can't think of anything else for now. Good luck with that. Hope that helps.

Attached Files
.zip   english.zip (Size: 43.64 KB / Downloads: 91)
.zip   base_english.zip (Size: 8.03 KB / Downloads: 91)

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM by Daemian.)
01-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

If the lantern hint doesn't even appear, then yes, I would think perhaps your english.lang might be corrupt. That might be why the extra one isn't working, because I think it only adds to the main one.

01-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Find
Shylia Offline

(01-09-2015, 07:18 PM)Mudbill Wrote: If the lantern hint doesn't even appear, then yes, I would think perhaps your english.lang might be corrupt. That might be why the extra one isn't working, because I think it only adds to the main one.

No worries, it works now Smile
01-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Find