Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Horror Game Without Any Music
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30
A Horror Game Without Any Music

[Image: rbg6tGQ.png]

So what if there was a horror game with no music? Just the sounds of your footsteps and occasional unexplained noises? Hearing the crunching of leaves under your feet or the creaking of an old wooden floor. A horror game with only an ambiance. Because that's how it would be if you were lost in real life in some abandoned castle or mine. If you stopped walking and just listened, sh.. Did you hear that? Did I just hear a person crying for help? Your imagination could just give you endless ideas of you hear or think you saw in the distant darkness. Silence is very unsettling in horror games when the music just turns off, but what about a whole game dedicated to silence? And yes, I know there is already games out there with just silence like SCP and some slender games, but I'm talking about a very well scripted game like Amnesia, but no music. Horror movies like Paranormal Activity seem to be terrifying without music. I think lack of music can fill your head with terrifying thoughts and seriously put you on edge. Tell me what you think about it and if it's a good idea.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM by Koopa Rs07.)
06-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Find
Straxedix Offline

Threads: 52
RE: A Horror Game Without Any Music

I am already scared ;-;

06-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

(06-01-2015, 08:29 PM)Straxedix Wrote: I am already scared ;-;
I know lol. O_o
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 09:13 PM by Koopa Rs07.)
06-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

Interesting ... I think a lot of the horror of silence comes from the contrast. I think this could work well, but it would work best if there were areas with louder ambient sound, like a machine or a river, then you turn a corner... and have only your footsteps

Sounds made by the player character (eg. Daniel's gasps and muttering) work well too. Amnesia is the better game overall, but Outlast made very good use of these kinds of sounds, especially the nice bassy heart beat sound. That heartbeat hit just the right spot and sometimes I think it causes an autonomic bio-feedback response and actually tricks your body into feeling more anxious.

Anyway, ambient sound is more important in horror than music, so yeah, I agree.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 10:39 PM by MrBehemoth.)
06-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I think music in a horror game is a great bonus+ to the game when used/placed properly.
Remember Amnesia when you meet the Lurker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnd4XxKqG7A
You just have to know how to use it. That's what I think, I can be wrong. :>

06-02-2015, 12:25 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Well, the siren sound when a monster chases you is definitely something that kills your comfort quickly.

On the other hand, the unknown is often the scariest. Not knowing you're being followed until you're smashed to the ground or until you hear the monster breathing in your neck I can only imagine is terrifying every time.

06-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

It wouldn't work. Music is pretty much why Amnesia is so scary. Every piece in the soundtrack is either mysterious, unnerving, or terrifying. I guarantee that the game is less scary if you play it muted (but it will still be scary).

[Image: p229xcq]
06-02-2015, 01:31 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

It depends.

It's definitely possible. With the correct setting and amount of ambience it should be possible to pull off.

Question is only, why? I mean, it's a fun challenge to put yourself through, but if you have the opportunity to use music, I say take it.

Trying is the first step to success.
06-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

(06-02-2015, 01:31 AM)Rainfroge Wrote: It wouldn't work. Music is pretty much why Amnesia is so scary. Every piece in the soundtrack is either mysterious, unnerving, or terrifying. I guarantee that the game is less scary if you play it muted (but it will still be scary).

I'd rephrase that: sound design is one of the main reasons Amnesia is scary. I think the ambient, incidental and physics sounds, the timbre and tonality of the whole soundscape are just as important as the music. Take a listen to some of the sounds in the "joints" folder and tell me they don't make you feel... Confused ...uncomfortable.

06-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(06-02-2015, 10:58 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote:
(06-02-2015, 01:31 AM)Rainfroge Wrote: It wouldn't work. Music is pretty much why Amnesia is so scary. Every piece in the soundtrack is either mysterious, unnerving, or terrifying. I guarantee that the game is less scary if you play it muted (but it will still be scary).

I'd rephrase that: sound design is one of the main reasons Amnesia is scary. I think the ambient, incidental and physics sounds, the timbre and tonality of the whole soundscape are just as important as the music. Take a listen to some of the sounds in the "joints" folder and tell me they don't make you feel... Confused ...uncomfortable.

Agreed. Sound is important. Music is not. Yet music is a boost.
Music also helps unfolding the a story. Putting feelings and character into a story.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015, 01:48 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-03-2015, 01:47 AM
Find