Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Manipulating Fog Areas With Script?
BonesTheRabbit Offline

Threads: 20
Manipulating Fog Areas With Script?

So, I'm scratching my head over this. Is there any way to manipulate fog areas through script? They don't seem to function as entities. Still fiddling with things, but it doesn't seem hopeful.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM by BonesTheRabbit.)
06-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
RE: Manipulating Fog Areas With Script?

The scripts existing for fog is for the one fog you can add in throughout the Level Editor. So annoyingly, no you cannot do that. Maybe there is some way, but it's not one I'm aware of.

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015, 07:34 AM by Neelke.)
06-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Find
BonesTheRabbit Offline

(06-03-2015, 07:34 AM)Neelke Wrote: The scripts existing for fog is for the one fog you can add in throughout the Level Editor. So annoyingly, no you cannot do that. Maybe there is some way, but it's not one I'm aware of.
I was considering trying to emulate the effect through billboards, but that doesn't seem to work either. Level fog isn't really good for what I'm trying to go for. I've tried every function I can think of, and I don't think I can make an entity with area fog attached.
06-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Nope, took a look at the Model Editors resources and no fog is available. :/

Derp.
06-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

When I needed to make some decals appear (which isn't possible with script) I copied the whole area and teleported player there. Of course I added a fade out and some other tweaks (like sealing off the area) so it looked natural.
I hope this helps, although it isn't possible to make the fog fade this way.

Have you tried... ?
SetFogActive(bool abActive);
SetFogColor(float afR, float afG, float afB, float afA);
SetFogProperties(float afStart, float afEnd, float afFalloffExp, bool abCulling);

You might write a script with a timer that changes the fog very slightly and repeats. This should imitate slow appearing of the fog.

06-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Find
BonesTheRabbit Offline

(06-03-2015, 09:31 AM)Darkfire Wrote: When I needed to make some decals appear (which isn't possible with script) I copied the whole area and teleported player there. Of course I added a fade out and some other tweaks (like sealing off the area) so it looked natural.
Copying the area isn't really an option. Though I may circumvent the effect in another fashion.

(06-03-2015, 09:31 AM)Darkfire Wrote: Have you tried... ?
SetFogActive(bool abActive);
SetFogColor(float afR, float afG, float afB, float afA);
SetFogProperties(float afStart, float afEnd, float afFalloffExp, bool abCulling);

You might write a script with a timer that changes the fog very slightly and repeats. This should imitate slow appearing of the fog.
Yeah, area fog isn't really what I'm looking for. Tried doing a mock-up even with look-at callbacks. Might fiddle with it a bit more, though.
06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Find
BonesTheRabbit Offline

Losing my head trying to think of an elegant solution here. Curse you, fog! Curse yooooou!
06-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Try making a custom particle system that acts like fog?

06-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Find