Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

Eh, I find a lot of sci-fi's attempts to question the definition of life through the use of robots to be rather trite. Mostly because, in reality, even the most advanced artificial intelligence we have so far is pretty dumb.
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(03-12-2014, 09:39 AM)Alardem Wrote: Eh, I find a lot of sci-fi's attempts to question the definition of life through the use of robots to be rather trite. Mostly because, in reality, even the most advanced artificial intelligence we have so far is pretty dumb.

To be fair, we're advancing AI faster than Evolution developed us. So it's not unfeasible to suggest computers can become sentient, maybe even in our lifetimes.

I suspect that the themes are a LOT more complicated than what's been hinted at.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(03-12-2014, 08:55 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 08:00 AM)Abraxas Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 08:37 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: Existential angst? Man that thing could really mess with people you know. I mean is life REALLY pointless? Sure, a lot of fear and anxiety could come out of it, but don't they realize that the human psyche is a bit weak? Some people could really get wrecked with this theme. It is kind of interesting but I don't think that Existential angst is a good idea. Maybe if they toned it down a bit it could be something nice.

The thing with FG is that the monsters ARE ALWAYS the Unknown. I mean we ABSOLUTELY don't know anything about them, their look, sound, weight, height, etc. We just know their voices echoing in the halls and the noises they create.

I honestly doubt FG is tactless enough be like: WHATEVER AFTERLIFE YOU BELIEVE IN DOESN'T EXIST WE'RE ALL JUST WASTES OF SPACE YOU SUCK AND YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR MOM DON'T MATTER.

If existential angst is indeed the theme, then there are lots of moral and ethical issues that could be addressed to make the game interesting.

Something doesn't have to be completely unknown to be scary. Sometimes, just knowing the right amount of information can be terrifying. Even just a vague suggestion of something, executed properly, and make for some serious scares.

I agree. It doesn't has to be COMPLETELY unknown, maybe knowing about it a little builds it up. And FG won't be that tactless. I mean they can probably take it up a notch.

By the way, you don't have to mention my mother.

I'm really sorry if that offended you. I'll edit it if you'd like.

Quote:I suspect that the themes are a LOT more complicated than what's been hinted at.

Yup. There's always the chance we're all completely off base.

03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

I don't want to play this game and end up wanting to kill myself. Maybe they should avoid the existential angst bit.
03-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

How the hell would a game make you commit suicide in real life?

Jesus, quit overreacting. This is not like suicide mouse for god's sake.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 10:49 PM by Macgyverthehero.)
03-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

But videogames kill! Don't you read yellow papers?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
03-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

(03-12-2014, 10:47 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: How the hell would a game make you commit suicide in real life?

Way to overreact to my clearly exaggeration. Anyway, people were saying thinking about existential angst will mess you up. I'd rather not have that happen to me.
03-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(03-13-2014, 05:49 PM)SeanieTheMan Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 10:47 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: How the hell would a game make you commit suicide in real life?

Way to overreact to my clearly exaggeration. Anyway, people were saying thinking about existential angst will mess you up. I'd rather not have that happen to me.

Might not want to play it then, as they said that's the effect they're going for. Or maybe if you aren't really paying attention to themes it won't be very present, they said you need to invest in the environment to really understand it. It's up to you

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
03-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I'm not sure if this has been featured yet, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatization

Quote:"Somatization is a tendency to experience and communicate psychological distress in the form of somatic symptoms and to seek medical help for them. More commonly expressed, it is the generation of physical symptoms of a psychiatric condition such as anxiety. The term somatization was introduced by Wilhelm Stekel in 1924."

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 10:41 PM by GrAVit.)
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

This is what I want (thanks for posting the link).

Quote:Frictional are aiming for the same amount of horror, but approaching it in a “very different way”, according to Grip. While Amnesia was scary due to basic concepts, such as fear of the dark or the helplessness of being hunted, SOMA is a much deeper type of fear. “The real terror should come from the player being immersed in this strange world that tells them something about their own existence.” Grip told us. “I do not want players to just scream at jump scares or get scared by distant footsteps. I want them to really ponder some issues and leave the game feeling this heavy lump of existential angst in their chest.”

More please.

(03-10-2014, 11:17 PM)i3670 Wrote: The realization that life is pointless is nothing to fear.

From what I can see they're talking not such much about existential angst in the sense of the nihilist acknowledgement of a lack of existential meaning to life, but more about the existential crisis of gradually losing your sense of personal identity to the extent that you begin to doubt your sense of self-existence, and ultimately lose the sensation of existing altogether so that you are unable to differentiate 'self' from 'other'. In this sense you actually cease to exist, whilst being aware of the fact (producing significant cognitive dissonance, which is profoundly mentally and emotionally destabilizing).

That seems far more likely given the plot elements we've been shown so far, the struggle to maintain your sense of self-existence, and the question of what happens to you and your identity when you lose it. This video points very strongly towards existential crisis as a key plot element.

03-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Find