Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Oswald Mandus Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Frictional Games Super Secret Project Thread

(09-24-2012, 05:59 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 11:54 AM)wtfomg Wrote: True and as FG said it wasnt even a horror game they were working on but later it changed into one. and as looking at the concept art, it doesnt look like a horror game atleast but very cool though Wink ..
What concept art?
next FG game? who knows..
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(09-24-2012, 11:54 AM)wtfomg Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 11:00 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Am I the only one super excited about the sunlight/directional lighting system?
Not sure... I mean that article is from 2010. Back then they probably didn't plan to make this a horror game - because of all the things one could think of to make a horror game better, sunlight isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind, right? Wink Still, I guess it can't hurt to improve hpls graphic capabilities. It makes for better immersion and it keeps the metascore of their next game from needlessly losing points due to having out of date graphics.
True and as FG said it wasnt even a horror game they were working on but later it changed into one. and as looking at the concept art, it doesnt look like a horror game atleast but very cool though Wink ..
I think it looked pretty scary, and cool, indeed.
09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

Threads: 0

(09-24-2012, 06:14 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 11:54 AM)wtfomg Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 11:00 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Am I the only one super excited about the sunlight/directional lighting system?
Not sure... I mean that article is from 2010. Back then they probably didn't plan to make this a horror game - because of all the things one could think of to make a horror game better, sunlight isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind, right? Wink Still, I guess it can't hurt to improve hpls graphic capabilities. It makes for better immersion and it keeps the metascore of their next game from needlessly losing points due to having out of date graphics.
True and as FG said it wasnt even a horror game they were working on but later it changed into one. and as looking at the concept art, it doesnt look like a horror game atleast but very cool though Wink ..
I think it looked pretty scary, and cool, indeed.
yeah the old art looks very nice. but now thats its a horror game it might have been changed Sad
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM by Oswald Mandus.)
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

What I'm asking is where have you seen the concept art for it?
09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
Jdog8998 Offline

Threads: 2

I got some news for you guys. It isn't much, but at the same time I think we already have a pretty good idea whats to come from this if we look at the technology behind the game in the blog updates. Defiantly out door environments that are probably going to be very detailed.

http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-devs-fr...-new-game/
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: Defiantly out door environments that are probably going to be very detailed.
It says nothing to indicate it will be outdoors. It just says it will have deeper meaning to it.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-24-2012, 07:42 PM)Statyk Wrote: What I'm asking is where have you seen the concept art for it?
Saw it on one of Googol's posts.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Find
Jdog8998 Offline

(09-24-2012, 10:11 PM)Aldighieri Wrote:
Quote: Defiantly out door environments that are probably going to be very detailed.
It says nothing to indicate it will be outdoors. It just says it will have deeper meaning to it.
They had a post on the development blog about them implementing an map building algorithm for building out door environments. They also implemented sun lighting along with a new shadow system, and they also have HDRL in the new engine. You wouldn't use HDR in your lighting unless your going to have an outdoor environment, because you need HDR to emulate sun light intensity and distinguish it from other light sources. That's really the only reason why you would ever use HDR. It has no other use to be honest, lol. The whole idea behind it is to give depth to different lighting situations instead of having just one basic appearance.

So, in a lot of ways this is pretty much saying that they are going to have multiple types of environments. I'm not sure how much variety, but one of them is defiantly going to be out doors. They wouldn't of spent time on any of of those features otherwise. I mean, I could be wrong...I guess...but, if I am, that pretty much means they wasted a ton of time and money making features that are pretty much totally useless to an indoor game. You wouldn't implement sun light and sun shadows unless your going to have a land scape and objects out doors that you will be able to see close up.

Here are the links.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010...adows.html

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010...metry.html
09-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Find
Yodake Offline

Threads: 3

Quote: http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-devs-fr...-new-game/
2014, really? Sad
09-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Find
Jdog8998 Offline

(09-25-2012, 05:11 AM)Yodake Wrote:
Quote: http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-devs-fr...-new-game/
2014, really? Sad
Well, its going to be a very short wait if you think about it. We are getting a machine for pigs in early 2013, then the new game in 2014. The rate of games coming out for frictional at this point, is very very high Smile. Pretty much right after we get a AMFP we are going to get a new game instead of waiting 2-3 years like it used to be. And, who knows, maybe it will stay that way if they will stay in connections with TheChineseRoom. Though, the chances of that happening seem a little far fetched to be honest, but its still something that could happen. Its a very good way of for frictional to deliver games we love without them having to force themselves or rehash anything.

Their development philosophies are so similar that we could easily see a partnership staying for a long time coming. Not sure though about the game release time spans staying like it is at this moment. But we as frictional gamers have a good future to look forward too Smile. After the 3.6 million (and counting) dollars they have made off of Amnesia and with sales such as 10,000 units a month, they are going to be happy and be able to do quite a bit more.

They have plenty of resources to innovate and push themselves forward. We should expect to see really good things coming in the future. They have more employees that can specialize in pacific areas of development. Making a game will be easier, faster and the quality should increase because now Thomas doesn't have to do everything himself and rush anymore. The best has yet to come people...for real. This is just the beginning.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2012, 05:51 AM by Jdog8998.)
09-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Find