Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

I wonder if the name given to the warden unit has anything to do with the archaic Greek letter Wau:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wau_(letter)

I've been thinking that maybe WAU isn't an initialism. Everywhere it has been mentioned, it's referred to as simply "warden unit". What would the 'A' stand for?

On the other hand, what would be the point of naming it WAU after an obsolete Greek letter? It doesn't seem to have any special meaning or symbolism, apart from representing the number 6 in certain contexts, because it was the 6th letter of the ancient Greek alphabet.

Maybe I'm just trying to find a relation where it doesn't exist. XD

08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

It would be in keeping with the general theme of Greek letters (Lambda, Theta, Upsilon, etc.). I think you're right about Wau/WAU; that "Warden Unit" begins with Wa/U is probably a clever play on the initials.

Could be significant, or it could just be another way for the writer to make use of even more Greek symbols haha.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM by Paddy™.)
08-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

Some new info on Depth has been added on IMDB. The cast list looks more complete now and the release date was changed to "1 June 2015 (USA)".
08-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Awesome! We can finally fill in all of those blanks in the Portal.

I notice that the director, Don Thacker, is playing Harry Halperin. I guess this means Jeffrey Combs isn't in it after all (Harry was the character which needed a voice over artist, which is what we thought Combs might be doing, right?).

The release date change confirms that the film will be released around about the same time as the game. June seems a long ways away though, especially when Thomas was saying the game would be released in "early 2015".

08-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Did I miss something? What is Depth?
08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(08-07-2014, 04:59 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Did I miss something? What is Depth?

It's a full-length feature film (codenamed "Project Apophis" during production) made by the same crew who made Vivarium and Mockingbird. It's going to be released at the same time as SOMA.

Info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3297758/
https://twitter.com/hashtag/projectapophis?src=hash
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/projectapophis
https://twitter.com/HorrorHoneys/status/...8529711104
Casting Call

We've known about it since December of 2013, but the production didn't begin until about May 2014. Principle photography finished at the beginning of this month.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014, 05:53 PM by Paddy™.)
08-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

OK, thank you.
But that means SOMA is planned for June 2015?
08-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

I wouldn't put too much faith in the release dates on IMDb, but I assume Depth's release date will depend on the development of SOMA and how quickly it gets finished. As I understand it, the film is in the post-production stage now, so it will probably be completed long before June 2015. In other words, the game will dictate the release date of the film, and not the other way around.

08-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

(08-03-2014, 10:46 PM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 10:09 PM)Kein Wrote: I guess they could just release digital collector's edition with printable cover-art template and some goodies. You could just burn the disc for yourself, heh.

Even if FG doesn't go that route, we've got some talented mofos on the forum who could definitely hook us up with some sweet SOMA box art:

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22458.html

Well, I'm late to the party, but I did a little draft of my own at that idea.

Spoiler below!

The last man on Earth stood in a room.
There was a knock on the door.
08-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Website Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(08-07-2014, 04:59 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Did I miss something? What is Depth?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 4656054047_685f5e25d4_z.jpg]

On a more serious note, it's actually a bit disheartening and frustrating to come here and see someone asking "What is Depth?". It gives the impression that everything that Chrysler, Paddy and I have been posting about "Depth" in the last few months has been in vain. And personally, it kind of makes me feel like the SOMA Info Portal is not serving its purpose (both thread and website).

But I hope that for each oblivious member like Googolplex, there are at least 2 or 3 members/guests (apart from the more regular SOMA posters) who are interested in the information we've been sharing. It's not like there's 50 new posts to read in this thread every day, so how someone manages to come here occasionally and not read at least some bits of information about "Depth" is beyond me.

So please, Googolplex, next time use the "Search Thread" box that you can find at the bottom of this page, or go back a few pages and read what's going on, or check the SOMA Info Portal thread. Your questions will most likely have been answered already (in fact, it's not the first time that Paddy explains what "Depth" is). Smile

08-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Find