Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

Preview from Gamekult:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/e3-on-a-fli...49527.html [ google translation ]

EDIT:

For those asking about a playable demo for SOMA:

Thomas Grip Wrote:Afraid we will probably skip a demo, due to it just being to hard to make one. See the blog post for reasons why Smile

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM by Paddy™.)
07-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

Threads: 24

I really want to know what texture style they are using on their object, because i looks good.

I mean whenever i model something and texture it (lets say i pick up some metal/concrete textures and place on model with UVW Wrap etc.) they look somehow bad (maybe too realistic texture ?)...

Are these textures they are using some kind of cartoon style a liiiiiitle bit or something ?
07-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(07-02-2015, 09:20 PM)Plazmater Wrote: I really want to know what texture style they are using on their object, because i looks good.

I mean whenever i model something and texture it (lets say i pick up some metal/concrete textures and place on model with UVW Wrap etc.) they look somehow bad (maybe too realistic texture ?)...

Are these textures they are using some kind of cartoon style a liiiiiitle bit or something ?

I don't get it. What's your problem with texturing?
And what it has to do with SOMA?
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015, 09:30 PM by TiManGames.)
07-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(07-02-2015, 09:28 PM)TheTieMan Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 09:20 PM)Plazmater Wrote: I really want to know what texture style they are using on their object, because i looks good.

Idk how to say it well...

I mean textures look realistic and great to you if you look at them normally, if you however pause video at good time and you see textures on objects very and i mean very close, you can see they are like painted a little bit... idk how to say it really... You probably arent seeing it so well, i am just probably paying too much attention to the details in everything...

i would like to know their process of making textures in development ... Big Grin
07-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

When they were interviewed as to how they made the grunt, one of them said that the texture was comprised of different online images.

Hows that for an answer? Big Grin

Source: I cannot find it anywhere
07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(07-02-2015, 09:45 PM)Plazmater Wrote:

I mean textures look realistic and great to you if you look at them normally, if you however pause video at good time and you see textures on objects very and i mean very close, you can see they are like painted a little bit... idk how to say it really... You probably arent seeing it so well, i am just probably paying too much attentexture the details in everything...

i would like to know their process of making textures in development ... Big Grin

What did you expect? It's a texture. With RESOLUTION. As long as you get closer to the texture the more they will look unrealistic. It depends on resolution. If the texture was 8704 × 4896 then you got some good 9K texture with no "painted "style. it will run on 11 fps tho.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015, 11:03 PM by TiManGames.)
07-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

9K is 8704 × 4896.
07-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(07-02-2015, 10:24 PM)TheTieMan Wrote:

I mean textures look realistic and great to you if you look at them normally, if you however pause video at good time and you see textures on objects very and i mean very close, you can see they are like painted a little bit... idk how to say it really... You probably arent seeing it so well, i am just probably paying too much attentexture the details in everything...

What did you expect? It's a texture. With RESOLUTION. As long as you get closer to the texture the more they will look unrealistic. It depends on resolution. If the texture was 9001x9001 then you got some good 9K texture with no "painted "style. it will run on 11 fps tho.

Wasnt talking about that... I meant if(as TheDoctorPoo said) those textures are created from online images or are they making them from scratch
07-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Actually, unless it's a stylistic choice, developers/artists almost always use online images for their textures (or at least as a reference).
07-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(07-02-2015, 10:52 PM)Plazmater Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 10:24 PM)TheTieMan Wrote:

What did you expect? It's a texture. With RESOLUTION. As long as you get closer to the texture the more they will look unrealistic. It depends on resolution. If the texture was 9001x9001 then you got some good 9K texture with no "painted "style. it will run on 11 fps tho.

Wasnt talking about that... I meant if(as TheDoctorPoo said) those textures are created from online images or are they making them from scratch

Scratch, I believe
07-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Find