Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Amnesia: Redemption
goodcap Offline

Threads: 112
Amnesia: Redemption

[Image: x8ieuVO.jpg]

“No matter what a waste one has made of one's life, it is ever possible to find some path to redemption, however partial.”
― Charles Frazier

I'm proud to announce that i'm working on a new original custom story/Full Conversion Mod.
At the moment it is a custom story as it's using a lot of stuff from A machine for Pigs, but there are also a lot of custom models, textures etc.

STORY

You play as a man with a past. You wake up near a river with a factory in the distance. On your left there's nothing but pitch blackness, so you decide to head for the factory. You have no idea where you are, yet everything looks so familiar. As soon as you open the front entrance with a key you find out this is not a regular factory.

This custom story/FCM does feature a factory, but that does not mean this is a stupid cliche guy creates pigs and wants to take over the world-story.

GAMEPLAY

This custom story combines story and horror in a very balanced way. This story features monsters, puzzles, other human beings (alive and moving)

environment

The environment can be compared with Destiny Rebellion as you may see on the pictures at the bottom of this thread. You can also expect traditional areas as you may expect from a factory. The story will mostly take place in the factory, but that doesn't mean you will be inside most of the time if you know what I mean..
The levels have great attention to detail.

Characters

Like I said, you're not the only human being in this custom story. There are other characters alive and breathing that you will have encounters with every once and a while. These characters are not bland and dull. These characters have a realistic personality.

Music and sounds

This custom story has a lot of custom music and sounds. Almost every generic sound from the original game is replaced. From locked doors to picking up certain items.

To create a good atmosphere you need good sound. This story has that, so not every area will have music. If you're not hearing music, you might be hearing wind or other small details that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Voice Actors

For a good story to be told, i'm going to need voice actors. I've seen a lot of talented guys and gals on this forum and if they're interested in helping me you can!
I am in need of 2 voice actors as of now that can play the roll of:

Dale Garner:

This is the "owner" of the factory. This is a man in his mid 30's. His voice is happy neutral sounding with an english accent.

Player:

The player has a voice too, but he won't have a lot of lines. Mostly at the end of the game he will have quite a bit too say. This is a man in his early 30's. He has a heavy, kind of depressed voice.

If you're interested, you can leave a message on this thread or hit me up via a PM.

These pictures show one of the first levels you will play in.
I don't think I have to remind you all that this is work in progress and might change overtime.
Pictures

[Image: GTeUn69.jpg]

[Image: 7I6TxH0.jpg]

[Image: peKwjst.jpg]

I hope I have excited you all and I will update this thread on the daily with pictures and videos.

Thank you

goodcap
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015, 03:27 AM by goodcap.)
07-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: Amnesia: Redemption

I dislike the lighting on the screenshots you showed. It feels WAY too bright, as for levels set during nights. You should create one dark box light, and add many smaller light sources on your levels that would emit light. Basically, use a lot of pointlights and spotlights that will create a nice contrast on your levels.

Quote:The levels have great attention to detail.

Spoiler below!
[Image: Q76mO24.jpg]

I would say that you really need to consider the definition of "great attention to detail". Take a look at real life ground textures, or just simply walk outside, and notice how the actual dirt looks like. The current material you have that pretends to be a ground looks sloppy, the color is too intensive and does not fit with the overall aesthetics of the rest of this level. Notice how actual ground texture should look like:

Spoiler below!
[Image: ground-texture-Cevennes-Causse-Mejean--uplands-341.jpg]

As you can see, it's pretty diverse. It's got some pebbles, grass hyphaes, which are making it look quite nice and realistic.

The tree that can be seen on the left side of the screenshot looks a bit out of place, and doesn't fit very well with the ground you have.

I also think that factory walls are lacking details - they all look almost the same. You can always put some dirt stains on them, why not board up some windows as well?

Spoiler below!
[Image: zgPMK0K.jpg]

First thing you can notice on this image are these planks clipping with the ground, and their color doesn't really match with the ground, so you can consider changing them into the ones from static objects -> debris. These dirt piles you are using as a ground are not looking so well when you resize them that much.

You should also randomly resize these roots in the back, as they look pretty lame when they're all the same. Otherwise, if you improve the lighting and other issues, this particular scene has some quite cool potential.

Spoiler below!
[Image: YvW1TAs.jpg]

Nothing else to add, I already pointed out that you should work more on detailing this building.

Quote:Characters

Like I said, you're not the only human being in this custom story. There are other characters alive and breathing that you will have encounters with every once and a while. These characters are not bland and dull. These characters have a realistic personality.

I'd be very careful about that. It really is difficult to create a character with realistic personality in HPL2 that you can encounter. It smells a bit like a bunch of buzzwords to me, but I guess I can't judge it yet before I see it's a thing actually.

Quote:This custom story has a lot of custom music and sounds. Almost every generic sound from the original game is replaced. From locked doors to picking up certain items.

To create a good atmosphere you need good sound. This story has that, so not every area will have music. If you're not hearing music, you might be hearing wind or other small details that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Bear in mind to avoid using copyrighted material by all means. It will bring problems to potential let's players that will have to deal with muting their videos, etc - you know, licence problems.

However, I wish you all the best with this mod, and don't take all of my rambling above too personally - it's meant to help, at least a bit!
07-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Find
goodcap Offline

RE: Amnesia: Redemption

I appreciate this alot, so you don't have to feel bad about it.

I have to agree with you about the ground, but it's easy for me to say that the map you're looking at isn't finished yet. But I will take the things you've mentioned into credit ^^

For the music, i'm not just adding random music that I find from youtube. They're all copyrighted free.

And I know I can just say things like: best characters ever, best story every blah blah blah, but I have the story and characters all written out and not just random characters that i've made up from a random generated website.

Also, some windows are boarded up, but I guess it's not that well visible at the moment due to the darkness of the level.

goodcap
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015, 02:27 AM by goodcap.)
07-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Find
goodcap Offline

RE: Amnesia: Redemption [NEW PICS]

New pictures, ladies and gentlemen. I've corrected this map by adding a lot more detail such as water plants, grass, dirty walls, rocks and pebbles, mushrooms. Clipped planks have also been fixed, because it looked bad Smile
07-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

Threads: 7

They look good, but the spotlight looks a bit cartoonish. I'm liking what I see, though!
07-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Find
goodcap Offline

New pics of a level i'm working on right now. It's called "The Swamp" for now.

[Image: wojGm83.jpg]

[Image: mK0u6i8.jpg]

[Image: I4uLJos.jpg]

Stay tuned for more Wink
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM by goodcap.)
07-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Find
goodcap Offline

As you can see i'm using a lot of custom textures, and it looks amazing if I may say so myself Smile

[Image: 2XUjljp.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015, 04:12 PM by goodcap.)
07-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

Threads: 7

The textures look amazing, the light is a bit odd though. You should add a bigger pointlight and lower the light level. That way the light wont just end in mid air.
Good work!
07-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Find
goodcap Offline

(07-13-2015, 05:10 PM)Rahmerh Wrote: The textures look amazing, the light is a bit odd though. You should add a bigger pointlight and lower the light level. That way the light wont just end in mid air.
Good work!

Thank you, i'll keep it in mind Smile
07-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Find
Overv Offline

Threads: 0

The screenshot looks great! I think it would look even better if you'd add some sort of baseboard to improve the floor/wall transition.
07-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Find